“Great food but service was so so”
Review of L'Atelier d'Argentine - CLOSED

L'Atelier d'Argentine
Cuisines: Argentinean
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Cross street: St-Pierre
Description: Rooted in the history and nestled in the urban and regional landscape, genuine Argentinean cuisine is distinct, with a strong flavourful identity - easy to understand and even easier to love. L’Atelier d’Argentine’s menu is honest, focusing on the quality of the core ingredient and a true reflection of contemporary Argentinian food. “With great respect for the produce and its origin - great ingredients turn into great food”.
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I went for a late night menu and i was not disappointed as this was recommended by a local friend. I sat at the bar and the whole time my server was never there until i had to pay. The girl that helped me was the bus girl which i didnt knw coz i thought she was my server. She recommended my dishes for me and shes amazing. On my bill the server who was never around not even to say hi in the beginning made a mistake on my bill. Ofcourse coz he didnt really know my order duh. If only service can be polish then it will be perfect.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

First, let me explain the context. Thanksgiving day (Canada), we are walking in the Old Montreal and just looking for a place to eat. 80% of the restaurants are closed. We are heading to this restaurant just to see the new decor knowing we loved to go to the "DNA" (old restaurant that closed down). To our surprise, its open, so we decided to test it. Second, the restaurant is empty and we don't really care since we were going to the spa, so piece and quiet in the restaurant was a great. So we got a nice rocking chair with a nice view, so that's a good start. Third and final, the waiter was spending alot of time with us since we were the only table. So that being said, the food was between ok and great, nothing special or "wow"!!! Decor is great, they kept some of the structure of the DNA replacing the orange with black. As per the waiter, they get between 150-200 reservations during the weekend and lunches are starting to get packed. They kept the "Happy Hour" section which is very nice. This place is on a steep learning curve but with a couple of adjustments, they should be fine. Once again, the context was special.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

First of all let me start by saying that I've been to Buenos Aires and meat there was to die for even in the neighborhood dives, so I came to this restaurant with great expectations. We started with provoleta, empanadas & mollejas (which are sweetbreads). I found that the portion of sweetbreads was very small and that the empanadas were good but because they were the fried variety, I found them a little greasy. It took a while for them to bring us a basket of bread. I ordered a sirloin steak (bife de chorizo) medium rare, and it came medium rare but it was dry, like it lacked fat. And the fries "Provençal " did not taste at all like garlic, just very salty. So needless to say that I was a little disappointed . Also I expected to hear Tango music with my dinner not loud techno music. Nothing about this place felt authentic. Just another trendy restaurant with no substance. If you want authentic Argentinean food, this place isn't it.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

First strike: medium rare steak arrived overcooked and warm . Second strike, the second medium rare steak arrived blue and frozen in the middle. Third strike, without asking they replaced it by a greasy breadded chicken. My wife hate her fish while watching me eating... bread. You are OUT: we had to pay for all, includign the "à côtés'' plates who camed with the steak ( s). Expensive night for a couple who did not receive their meal. THIS restaurant is a "trendy " nice place. We knew that we were not going to a "parillas" - Steak house, but even though food wise, nothing to do with the trendy and expensive restaurants of Puerto Plata or in Buenos Aires of Puerto Madero, Recoleta or the nice new Argentinean cuisine of Belgrano or Palermo in Buenos Aires. Worst and closer to us nothing to do with the numerous Argentinean Restaurants of Mexico ( Diez, Puerto Madero, Rincon Argentino, etc). Very bad food.

4  Thank Pedro B
Jean Bernard F, General Manager at L'Atelier d'Argentine, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2012

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review L'Atelier d'Argentine.
I am terribly sorry to read about you unfortunate experience with us. We pride ourselves on our products and their preperation, and sending someone off with not one but two poorly cooked steak is not what we are thrinving for.
In addition, we value above all customer service, and it seems as though we came short in that aspect of the restaurant experience as well.
Since our opening, we thrive to deliver, at great value for money, an authentic Argentinian cuisine experience with a personnable and genuine approach to guest experience. And it is in the hope of having you experience just that that I invite you to contact me directly to arrange for for an extraordinary dinner in Old Montreal, at a time of your choosing.

Jean-Bernard Forgues,

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I went with a friend on a thursday evening after work. Restaurant is beautiful, decor is trendy. DJ playing music that night, not very crowded, but restaurant had opened 2 weeks prior. I had an entree tomatoes with mozarella and olive spread, was sooo good! For the main dish I had steak, but I found it hard to cut and very chewy.. but then again I'm not a big fan of big steaks. Came with 2 sauces. Sides are extra on the menu. Bread served free is really good! Portions are sufficient for main dishes. Didn't have desert. We had a bottle of wine that we shared. Prices are average, not cheap and not super expensive. Service was great! Waiter was really nice.