“An Experiance”

Cuisines: Hungarian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Jewish Quarter
Reviewed April 18, 2019

I am from Vermont and we specifically drive up a few times a year for this experience. This is more than just dinner on Saturday nights. It's more like a theatrical event so if you are looking to eat get in and get out this is not for you. If you are looking for an experience that will take about 2-3 hours then this is a great one. My mother is Hungarian and I visit Hungry every other year so that is my background. This is a very Hungarian experience.

They only have a few tables sometimes you need a reservation sometimes you don't but it they are full, they are full, even though people arrive at different times there is only really one dinner seating. I usually make my reservations for around 7:30. You are encouraged to bring your own beer and wine. Usually if we are 2 we will bring 1-2 bottles of wine and if we are 4 we will bring 3 bottles of wine. They have glasses and openers and they are happy to pour for you. The seat you, you get comfortable, the wine you brought is opened and served by either the father or son. There is some small talk with them which is very nice and friendly. Usually we talk about my trips to Hungry or the family's musical travels, or just general getting familiar conversation as they serve the drinks, take your order and bring out the soup and salad portion of your meal.

Around 8pm the tables are full and we are moving onto entrees being served. The door is closed and the son starts playing music. Sometimes it's just the son, sometimes there is a piano accompaniment who may sing a song or 2, but mostly it's Hungarian folk music, Fun Jewish songs, and other classical greats. The son will ask you if you want to hear anything. I always ask for the Blue Danube Waltz. but he will play anything including fiddler on the roof show tunes which are fun. Lots of slow eating, wine sipping, smiling, as he plays away. But no, you can't be in a rush. The father will slowly clear the dishes and serve desert taking your coffee and tea order between songs.

The cost is $30 Canadian cash per person. You don't need the bill there are no extra charges I've ever seen and once we had a soda or 2. Keep in mind they don't usually have soda I think they gave us one out of their fridge. Just leave the $30 x the number of people + Tip on the table and go after the music ends. I always bring exactly what I am going to pay when I can. They can make change but you will have to wait for them. In Hungarian culture people like to sit and relax and hang out after they eat. In american culture we are in a rush and want to "turn the table" to get more tips. In Hungry it's slower, you want to digest, sip, relax.

Yes dinner and a show for $30 and you can bring your own drinks. An entire evening for $30. I go for my father's birthday, my boyfriend and I go as a romantic date night, I've gone with friends for a fun cultural evening. It's not "Just dinner" it's an experience so go in knowing that, TRY IT and most importantly ENJOY IT!!!! I've had very few experiences like this in the western hemisphere.

Date of visit: April 2019
2  Thank Beckaroous

Reviewed December 20, 2018

food was poor quality, schnitzel unappetizing and veal very hard
service was OK, nothing more
very disappointed

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed December 19, 2018

Menu offers 3 choices in appetiser & entree, followed with dessert & coffee.Great Wiener schnitzel! Warm family style atmosphere with after dinner live music. Was there mid-week, as part of group of 30 occupying whole restaurant, for our annual Christmas supper.

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed September 1, 2018

We were invited to join friends and the six of us were looking forward to try some real Hungarian food. We were told this was a tiny family owned restaurant. We all ordered standard dishes and when we were well into our meals and having conversations, we were asked to be quiet as the owner ( a virtuso violinist ) was about to play. We were polite and listened to this guy play for quite a while. We had to request our desserts with hand gestures in silence. We felt trapped. Can't converse. Can't get up. If we had known in advance we would have elected to dine elsewhere to have a regular dinner with friends and conversation. Food was okay.Service was slow and homey.I would pay to see and hear this man play (but not in a restaurant). Oh well lesson learned. Won't be returning. Just so you all know.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed July 29, 2018

This small restaurant may not look like much and menu not extensive but brings back great memories of old Budapest food is typical Hungarian cheap but heart warming bring your own wine or beer makes for a great evening if you are lucky the owner will play his violin and the feeling of authentic Hungary comes alive I recommend to all to try this wonderful place at least once !

Date of visit: May 2018