Gite Ocoin B&B
Hotel de Kais(Montreal)
Hotel 7 Saisons(Montreal)
Hotel Elegant(Montreal)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmetro stationyogurtbreakfast was deliciouseach morningfour nightsbed and breakfastwonderful staycouple blocksold townfrontenacquebeckeysinkfrench
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 24, 2014

We have stayed in several bed and breakfasts over the years. They each are unique and you never truly know what what you're going to find until you get there. This one is one of the best ever. The rooms are comfortable, the cleanliness cannot be surpassed, and the location is good....for walking, biking or getting to the subway. All of these good things are topped by the best host. Rene' is so captivating. He loves his little hotel, tells great stories and has all sorts of information and facts on his city, Montreal. A truly remarkable stay. Staying here makes me want to go back to Montreal so we can visit Gite' Ocoin again.

1  Thank Lizorph
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Be aware that this B&B is quite a way out from the centre, there are no bars or restaurants locally, and despite what the owner says is not an easy walk into the centre - it's a good 40 minutes. There is, however, a metro station about ten minutes away. The place itself is good, breakfast is hearty, and the owner talkative - sometimes wearingly so. I would recommend not staying in room 4 however, which is cramped, dark, and noisy, being on the front road. All in all, it's an okay place but location is a drawback.

Room Tip: I would recommend not staying in room 4 however, which is cramped, dark, and noisy, being on the front road.
1  Thank BradPittsdouble
Reviewed May 10, 2014

This was our (wife and I) first stay in a true Bed and Breakfast. With Rene as host, we felt more like house guests than patrons. He's such an upbeat, fun and caring guy I can't imagine anyone not having a pleasant visit. Plus, his attention to detail is almost obsessive. The rooms and facilities are modern, clean, and very comfortable. He makes it clear when you arrive that his house is your house, so make yourself at home.

He's also a great story teller. This was his boyhood home. He bought it back after it had been sold and converted to an up-down duplex, first buying the top floor and later the bottom. In the interim he was part owner and manager of the Montreal Crown Plaza hotel, so he has extensive experience in the hotel industry. He lives upstairs and his four guest room B&B is the first floor.

He did most of the interior work himself, and while he says that he learned as he went, the quality of the workmanship is excellent. We had a king room with shared bath. Rene said the other room had it's own water closet so really only the shower was shared. It worked out fine.

Concurring with what others have mentioned - the breakfast was great (eggs benedict the morning we were there with things like yogurt and fruit also available), street parking is free, and a subway station into town is nearby. We are walkers, so we walked downtown to Old Montreal and back. It's a long but easy (level) and safe walk. Maybe two miles or a bit more each way. You go first go through a gentrified city neighborhood, under a highway bridge and then through Le Village, Montreal's large gay area. It's colorful, and I had to listen to my wife's usual lament "why are all the cute guys gay?" Passing next through Chinatown you reach the border of old and new Montreal. We preferred the history and setting of Old Quebec over Old Montreal, but Montreal's historic area is still extensive and interesting, and as a city Montreal offers more than Quebec.

Having never stayed in a true B&B I was a bit nervous about this choice. But Rene's rates are very reasonable and other reviews encouraged me. It was a wonderful choice and one of the highlights of our nine-day upper New England and lower Quebec trip.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

I don't normally write posts but I felt compelled to do so in this case because it was one of the best experiences I have ever had. Rene is the most wonderful host. He is so kind and generous. His breakfasts are amazing. We are so happy we stayed here. We will definitely come back.
Thank you for making our trip to Montreal memorable.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

Rene is an unbelievable host. Even though the place its self is amazing, he really made it the best experience ever, and honestly, he made our whole trip. Getting to Montreal was hard enough (imagine if everything that could go wrong did), he immediately made us feel at home. He makes a point to tell you about the sites, and is insistent you let him help you find your way around. He's only and always around when you need him though, and is more than quite pleasant. The breakfast is a nice variety, different than the norm, and the cooked breakfasts are freshly made to order. There are lots of local options like the syrup from his uncles trees, if I remember correctly. The place is very clean, up to date, cozy, but the space is used well. There are tables inside and out for meals. The kitchen is open. The rooms are all on the bottom floor while he occupies the top. There is at least one bathroom but it has a key. It has a modern feel but is appropriately decorated. Our room was a bit small but it still had all the amenities you need (non-community shower) very cleverly chosen to fit that space. The bed is comfortable. Its in a great location for travel to many tourist destinations. He has taken extra measures in many areas like security but also accessibility. This place was a dream come true for my husband, and I, travel weary, sad, and 4 months pregnant. There were other travelers there from all around the world. It was neat to get to try and talk to them, but if you're the type to keep to yourself, that's easy too. The patio outside is adorable. The dishes are even really cool! Its a different experience but only because its better on every level. For the price, you get so much more. If I didn't have to leave and see the sites, I may not have. I plan to take my entire family there some day. Not just for Montreal, but specifically for Gite Ocoin and Rene!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple