“Excellent bakery”

Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent bakery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

The bred is amazing and they have fresh squeezed lemonade that I love. Very friendly people and very good bred.

Visited May 2014

Lachine, Quebec, Canada
“Excellent artisan bakery”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

Very nice little shop with quality baked-goods and interesting mix of flavors.

My top 3:
• Nuts and blue cheese bread
• Figs and cheddar bread
• Apple and maple syrup brioche

If you're in the area you should definitely try it.

• Visited January 2014
Pointe-Claire, Quebec, Canada
“All your hearts desires in bread form!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

Friendly greeting. Great location. Funky decor. Superb bread/ petit pain and brioches! I liked the great selection. I wish it were open everyday.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Wendy W
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“"I Don't Always Eat Croissants, But When I Do. . . ."”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

For the most part I gave up bread and carbs more than a decade ago. But I'm still a sucker for a nice crusty baguette and a good almond croissant. They do a nice job with the former, and an outstanding job with the latter, at this hole-in-the-wall off St. Laurent in Montreal. Upon recommendations from friends, we stopped by on our way out of town after several nights and several disappointing bakery experiences. May as well indulge a bit when you're on vacation, right?

This turned out to be an unintentional instance of "saving the best for last." The bakery, which is little more than a storefront with with counter service and two seats looking out the window, seemed to be doing a brisk business. The small baguette we ordered as an afterthought to enjoy later with some leftover pate and cheese at lunch was crusty on the outside with an airy, yeasty center. Very, very nice. While at the bakery we also sampled the "Bamino," a small, spicy little pizza of sorts with zucchini and pepperoncini, a savory little circle that was quite good. I could imagine it being wonderful if it had just come out of the over.

The real winners were, however, the sweet pastries. My wife ordered what was essentially a brioche roll with apple and caramel which was delicious.

But the hands-down, take-no-prisoners, no-holds-barred winner was the almond-frangipane croissant. Now I have had almond croissants just about everywhere, ranging from the sodden, doughy masses with a couple of shaved almonds on top that you get in airports, to very respectable, buttery, light delights at high-end bakeries. So even though this in now only an occasional treat, I can confirm that this was the best example of this elusive devil that I've ever tasted.

The little beast was a bit irregular in shape, the tips of its horns were just slightly singed, and the rest being a golden hue, covered with some slivered almonds, and dusted with powdered sugar. As I bit into it there was an audible crunch, through layer upon thin layer of the buttery pastry. And then in the center was a magnificent mix of crushed almonds, just sweet enough, with heavenly mouth-feel when combined with the crackling tiers of the crust. Pure heaven with a cup of good, dark coffee.

If I lived near Boulangerie Guillaume I would probably be here at least three times a week for the almond croissant. Or maybe I would just have to give into the carbs and let croissant-lust take over, and weigh 300 pounds. It's that good. . . .

• Visited August 2013
Montreal, Canada
“Nostalgic Bread”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Old school style bread in a funky undustrial setting.
Prices are reasonable.
Decor is great.
Selection of bread: amazing! Not too many but the ones offered and just right!

My favorite: olive bread & white chocolate vanilla champignon shaped bread !!!

• Visited April 2013