Hotel Champ-de-Mars
Agoda.com
$235
$211
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 24, 2008

I booked this hotel through Bonjour Quebec after seeing the fabulous price (65 dollars a night) and looking at the website of the hotel. I understand why it was so cheap now!

After getting a little nervous at the contradictory Trip Advisor reviews, I decided to cancel my reservation 2 weeks prior to my trip. Unfortunately according to their policies, there is a 25% fee of your entire bill (for all the nights you would stay) that is non-refundable. It is 100% non-refundable if you cancel within 48 hours. (I should have been a little suspicious already of a hotel with such policies!)

Anyways, with 2 weeks in hand, I wrote an email to the hotel to cancel, deciding to suck up the 25% cancellation fee. They wrote me back (which CONFIRMED they received my email) offering me a special deal to come. I declined in a subsequent email, to which they never replied. At this point, I got a tad worried since I didn't want the full amount charged to my credit card, and called to cancel. I had to call twice, because the first time, the receptionist told me that she was unable to cancel the reservation and that I would have to contact the head office, to which she didn't have the number. UMMMM WHAT?? I'm quite sure that this little hotel has no head office, to which she strangely could not connect me to. The second time I called I received a different receptionist who cancelled my reservation.

So, imagine my surprise when I ended up receiving a ~$150 dollar charge from the hotel after I 'failed to show' up for my reservation. I ended up having to contest the charge through my credit card company (of course the hotel didn't fight it because they had no means to, I'm sure they just do this to everyone, perhaps some people wouldn't notice or wouldn't want to deal with it). I'm just a student so that did affect my budget!

Anyways, I never stayed there, but after an experience like that, I would never want to and would tell everyone else never to go!!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank pixieseto
Reviewed July 24, 2008

My daughter and I traveled to Montreal in July for a quick getaway and stayed at the Champ de Mars.

Location was our primary objective and the Champ de Mars is well-situated to the undergrounds and a very short walk to the hub of the Old Port.

A two-star hotel, Champ de Mars is not pretentious and the facilities were clean and fairly well kept. Breakfast was fresh and graciously served each day by a very friendy and cheerful staff.

Would consider staying there on our next visit to Canada.

Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed July 23, 2008

Was there to stay from 11th and 30th March 2008 incl.

Already on arrival I was treated very badly by the owner and had
to leave on 18th because I could not take any more insults.

I was humiliated and demeaned by the him and when I asked
him if i could find any cafe or restaurant around (or for that matter
about anything), he just waved me off and said that he did not
know.
He refused to even look an address up for me on the reception's
computer that was connected to internet. He was extremely rude.
This he was in front of other guests his staff and his family
members.

On arrival, he took extra deposit of 100 dollars from me cash on
the side although I had paid deposit of USD 92.37 through my
card via internet initially and also paid for the Hotel in cash on
arrival in advance.
Even though I was extremely tired after my journey I sensed
that something was wrong & I reacted to it after I went up to the
room and realising that he did not include that CAD100 in the
receipt that he gave me, I came back from the room and told
him to give me a receipt for the 100 CAD as deposit too.
He arrognatly said that He sometimes charged a deposit of
500CAD etc. and no receipt was needed for that, and if I
wanted to stay there I had to follow HIS rules and I should be
grateful that he took only CAD100. I demanded a receipt and on
insistence he magnanimously wrote on the paper that he had
given me earlier "deposit $100" cash.

Later on he denied that I had given him extra deposit of 100
dollars, and refused to pay it back, but after several heated
arguments and a long chat with his staff, who seemed to be
very much afraid to tell him that I was right (hence she would
lose her job) and on presentation of the paper he had
angriy signed, and on which he had written “$100 Deposit”,
and probably realising that he was wrong, I got (at last) that
deposit back too when I checked out On 18th.

Intially he did not want to pay it back and told me to be satisfied
with refund of the 88CAD = 92.37 USD that I had remitted
through my card on the day I booked, or leave that too. I
perceived it as him telling me to "just get lost".

It was very insulting and humiliating and I really felt extremely
sad & cheated and I told that to one of his staff and she
promised to talk with him after which (as I mentioned earlier)
it seemed that he realised what he had done. It is very sad.

Info about internet (that there was internet connection in every
room) given to me by this man on the phone when I phoned
from Sweden did not turn out to be correct at all.
He had also told me that I did not need to a laptop with me
since they had one in their cafe for guests to use.

The other staff and his wife were extremely nice to me,
but alas, I had to leave the Hotel because it
would have culminated in a bigger row and I felt horrible
and sick because of the atmosphere that this man
created for me.

He seemed to have some selected customers with whom
he was very much buddy buddy as soon as they appeared.

Moreover, the rooms were very small, the water in the
washroom very much fluctuating from luke warm to very
cold.
Nowhere to hang clothes, apart from some hooks, although I
got some hangers on requesting for them.

One could hear doors banging and floorboards
screeching on every arrival of guests late at night, walking.
One could hear the guest in neighbouring rooms talking very
clearly nd also when they were engaged in acts of lovemaking
which was a quite uncomfortable & disturbing.
I do not wish to make more comments on that at this stage.
I would class this place as under -1 star hotel.

I must, in all fairness, mention here that both his wife
and the staff tried to make it as comfortable for me
as they could. I am certainly very grateful to them.
But, sadly, the damage was already done.

Wrote to HostelsWorld to complain and also hoped to
get my money Back for the period between 18th-30th
incl. But they (HostelWorld) have never bothered to
reply.

It was a horrible experience.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank EternalPeace
Reviewed June 22, 2008

I was in Montreal for an event on rue Champs-de-Mars so I picked this hotel for it's location and price ($85/night using tripadvisor's search engine.. half the price of other "brand name" hotels). I was in a single room on the second floor. There's no elevator, but it's only four stories so it's not much of a problem to climb two flights of stairs, especially since Montreal is an incredibly walkable city and full of hills... two more flights of stairs isn't much to complain about. The room was very very small, a double bed (not a queen sized), a tiny bed side table and a 13" colour tv bolted to the corner of the wall at the ceiling. The bathroom was equally small but all the necessities were there, save a hairdryer. The other rooms on my floor were singles (like mine) or doubles (slightly larger but not by much) Breakfast was free for guests and huge!!! I never managed to finish a single breakfast while I was there: fresh melons and orange slices, toast, juice, hash browns, coffee, and your choice of eggs & bacon, or french toast or pancakes or cereal or bagels. The staff was friendly, bilingual, and very helpful with directions. The rooms were clean and didn't smell like smoke, something that I was expecting given Montrealer's penchant for chain smoking. The location was excellent: 4 blocks away from major metro and bus stops, 2 blocks away from Vieux Montreal and St Paul (tourist destination and great boutique shopping). For the bargain traveler that isn't picky about having a huge room and 400-thread count sheets, this was a great hotel and I recommend it if you're looking for a nice, clean, quiet place to collapse after a long day of hiking and shopping.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed May 1, 2008

Hotel is just off a main Montreal expressway - very easy to find. Underground parking was around the corner and reasonably priced. Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. Room was clean and tidy. We stayed on third floor which is really four flights of stairs and no elevator. OK bed, but great shower. The hotel is one block from Old Montreal so once the car was parked we walked everywhere. The room was small but who cares because we were out on the town! There was fresh coffee when we arrived. We didn't eat breakfast at the hotel because there were too many cool cafe's to explore. Regardless of earlier reviews there there NO bedbugs, NO problem with on line booking, NO problem with our credit cards. It was really a neat little hotel and we'll be staying there again soon.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple