“Totally ignoring my emails”

Hotel Champ-de-Mars
Ranked #132 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Bangkok, Thailand
“Totally ignoring my emails”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I made the error of booking this hotel for a stay in five months time, as soon as I made the booking I found out that I booked a hotel in Montreal, not the hotel in Paris of the same name.

I was advised that the "booking" was non refundable after I had booked, but I nevertheless explained my error to my agents within seconds, www.booking.com they were sympathetic to my plight and asked the hotel to exceptionally refund my money.

I also sent an email to the hotel, I got a generic response, I had a feeling this was not the first time somebody had booked in error. They advised that the booking was non-refundable but they cancelled the booking adding that I could book a room within twelve months subject to a number of conditions, I live in Bangkok and we have saved up for a trip to Paris, and I of course still have to pay for a room in Paris'

I sent two further emails confirming that the booking was clearly in error and pleaded with them to refund my money, which I cannot afford to lose. My emails were ignored, as were the emails from the agent, they have money and they intend to hang onto it, they are hiding behind their terms and conditions despite the clear fact it was an error and they will resell the room. I don't know if they are holding onto the taxes as well, or will they pay them to the authorities for a cancelled booking.

I fully accept this was mu fault, and the hotel are not doing anything illegal by not budging and ignoring me, but, given other posts, I would suggest you bear my experience in mind before considering a stay at this establishment.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank John S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
New Glasgow, Canada
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Bought through Expedia so it was fine for $ 49 a night. No elevator so it was a long hike to the top floor with luggage. The tv was so small that laying on the bed you could not read the guide. The staff was friendly and helpfull. The windows did not open so this was a huge problem for me. There was no air conditiong or fan either. Not great for someone who needs air to sleep. It is very close to downtown and old Montreal sight seeing. Probly wouldnt stay here again.

2 Thank sonleel

Travelers are raving about these Montreal hotels

Sacramento, California
Reviewed March 23, 2013

The location is perfect, small but VERY clean rooms. Best price in the Old Montreal area. The staff are very friendly and helpful; for restaurant reservations, parking suggestions and activities. I would absolutely stay there again. You cannot beat the location and price for Old Montreal. Everything you would want to do/see/eat in the area is within walking distance. Get over the small rooms and lame reviews, you will be happy you stayed here.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed good, stayed with five friends in three different rooms, all were good!! Even rooms...
1 Thank Miekechum
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2013

First to be fair, I would say the hotel is ok since the location is near Old Montreal. I didn't expect much on the condition of the rooms. Staff was friendly.

Now for the negative (I'll try to summarize the story)

I bought a groupon voucher (4x $59) offered by them. When I made the reservation for my family (me, wife, in laws and 2 kids = total 6) the owner (I think his name is Mr. Karl) emailed me and said there are no room avail since they only allotted 4 rooms per day for promotions. So fair enough, I understand eventhough at first I felt bad since it was not mentioned in Groupon. Anyway he gave me a 'discounted' price and told me I can use the voucher to be offset from the total amount (tax not inc). I find that the 'discounted' price is still too high, so I went looking for other hotels.

I was able to find a hotel that for 2 bedrooms (one room has 2x double bed) for 3 nights with small bfast, it would cost only $292 (exc tax). But since I 'thought' Mr. Karl was a nice guy, I gave him the benefit that if he could give me the 'SAME' deal for the SAME price, I would booked with his hotel rather than other. And then he even 'nicely' replied asking me how much I want to be charge, so I replied back with the exact details and to be fair I asked to be charged with $292 since that's what we're wiling to pay with the other hotel. So the reservation was confirmed, I did not see any 'NO' from what I demanded.

Now came the day we arrived at Montreal. We arrived evening coming from Mississauga-Ottawa (7hrs+), brought all the bags to the reception and I went to park the car(which is a bit of a walk as well). When I went to the reception desk I was told that the total that I was going to pay was $500++ and I can't use the voucher! (initially from what I understood they even want to charged me $500++ plus the voucher) They explained that they will charge $292 for the room and then the breakfast is $10/head, so for 3 nights that's $180 plus tax. So I was really shocked so I complained and the response I got was they returned the credit card to me and told me that if I don't want, I could look for another place. BOOM! That came to me that it was all a ploy. I'm tired and it's late at night and we are all set to take a rest so leaving me no choice but to stay with them! But still I insisted on what we agreed on, Mr Karl 'being nice' (duh!) offered that I can pay $292 plus voucher (worth $236), supposedly the voucher is for the breakfast and tax, I had no choice but to accept it because I'm really near getting violent but I have my family with me and we're suppose to be having fun on our vacation.

It did not end there, I was surprised that he only gave us one room!!! Even though it is their 'best' room (suite), I can still get 2 rooms with a lower price from the other hotel. And as for the breakfast (which I think not worth it to spend $10, better spend it somewhere else), I wasn't informed that there's a service fee of $9 plus tax on top of the $60 we already paid for each morning! So I end up paying $550++

I'm sure they will reply with all the reason but I do have everything in email, I could attach all of them here as images to prove that I'm not lying. But I'll just let karma do its thing.

It ruined my mood for the entire vacation since every time I see him, I tells me how fool I was to fell in his trap.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Enzo Z
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2013

If you're looking for a place to stay for a few nights after partying it up, this is a perfect little spot. The staff is very friendly and willing to help if you need anything. Breakfast was great, only priced at $10. The location in Old Montreal is close to everything. There were some negatives, which have already been mentioned on this site (small tv, smaller rooms and so forth), but this is not the Ritz and one must know this before staying here. All and all, I had a great time in Montreal and found Hotel Champ-De-Mars adequate for my 2 night stay.

Ajax, Canada
Reviewed March 17, 2013

First the positive,

The staff was friendly, even though they gave us a "free" upgrade and then charged us an extra $30 a night. The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean. The outside and the lobby look welcoming.

Now for the negative,

I traveled with two couples, one being a gay couple. When I went to check in they said they would give us a free upgrade to two rooms with two beds each. I'm sure they did this because the three of us at the counter were men. When my wife came in after parking the car we were told that we would have to pay $30 extra a night but the other couple didn't have to. We checked out the room with one double bed and my wife started getting panicky with claustrophobia. The single rooms had nothing but a bed and a washroom. It was like staying in a walk-in closet. The other couple had a room near the stairs and were kept awake by the noise of people walking up and down the old, loud stairs. We barely got any sleep because the walls are paper thin. We could overhear other guests talking in the other rooms on the floor. When they talked at even a slightly elevated tone we could understand every word they said.

One other negative was that the hotel has no parking and we had to park at a green P lot two blocks away. For the extra $48 per day we spend on the "free" upgrade and parking we could have stayed in a much nicer place.

Finally, we booked with Expedia and did not get a complimentary breakfast but those who booked with other sites did have breakfast included.

Room Tip: There is no elevator so you probably want a room on the first floor. The rooms with two beds are in...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I am uncertain why there are such a high number of negative reviews, aside from the possibility that people came here with a different expectation. If you expect luxury and modern amenities at every turn, this is not for you. If, like us, you are looking for a place with a cozy atmosphere, charm to match the city, and comfortable rooms, all within a European style building, then this is the perfect place to stay.

We will certainly be coming back during our next visit to this city, and recommend to those who do come to get the D4 breakfast: same prices across whole menu, but a full and delicious breakfast complete with toast, tea or coffee, and juice.

• Stayed March 2013