“New to Indian Food”

Taj Mahal Du Vieux Montreal
Ranked #747 of 6,066 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Reviewed March 15, 2014

This is my second time trying Indian Food (first time was in Florida in 2008) and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. It's a small place, but great atmosphere and had great customer service, the waiter was really friendly ad helpful.

we started off with a Salad for me and I'm not sure what my husband had, it was chicken of some sort. We asked what he recommended, and so I took the Rajhella Chicken (oh, I know I misspelled that, but I can't remember exactly) and my husband the buttered chicken. Turns out, I preferred his buttered chicken and he preferred mine. He also ordered a break of some kind, amazing, honestly, we were thinking of ordering more but were so full after, I couldn't finish my dish. Also, you have to order your sides apart, so make sure to order that (we ordered rice).

My husband tried their beer, and I tried their Chai Tea, loved it. It does not taste or look like the Chai Teas you buy at the grocery store or at Tim Hortons, but it was the best Chai Tea I've ever had.

I would love to come back as a bigger group to be able to try more stuff, because your bowl of chicken is more than enough for you.

Definitely a great experience for a newbie to Indian Food.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Worst customer service I've experienced. Would never go back. Shame on them! In all the great Indian restaurants in Montreal, such as Le Taj in downtown Montreal, please consider going somewhere else.

2  Thank nb_montreal
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We had a very good meal at the Taj Mahal for what I felt was a great price. We each chose the special that came with appetizer, main, side dish, vegetable, dessert and coffee for under $25. we had the onion appetizer that was delicious and crispy. One of us had the beef dish and the other had the chicken tandoori. The beef was excellent and the tandoori was good, but not as creamy/yogurty as I expected (but still tasty.) The naan bread, rice and vegetables were all cooked well and delicious. We came on a Friday night and almost did not go in because it was maybe five tables filled out of maybe 15 but we were glad we did!

Reviewed February 11, 2014

This place was nice. I had a group on for it so the prices in the end were not so bad, but if I didn't have it then this place is rather expensive. Don't get me wrong, the food was good. But you have to find a balance between value and good food. If money is not an issue and only good Indian food is then this is the place you want to go.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

We always seek out Indian restaurants when we travel. I love Indian food. Taj Mahal was conveniently located and high on the tripadvisor list so was our choice for a pre-concert meal.

We were not disappointed. The food was delicious. We started with onions fried in lentil flour. I always order aloo ghobi and this version was executed very well. The chicken dish was delicious. The portions were nicely sized. Mango kulfi for dessert completed an excellent meal.

Next time we visit Montreal Taj Mahal will be on our restaurant list.