“Great rooms, but book with them (not online) to avoid hassle.”
Review of Le Roberval

Le Roberval
Ranked #80 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

I travel A LOT, and I usually book my trips online like most people. Ive never had an issue with this, but Le Roberval sure gave me one. Upon checking in, I was asked for a voucher. There seemed to be a language barrier so he said I could wait until checking out but it wouldn't be a big deal. I had no idea what he was talking about.

The next AM upon checking out, a man told me unless I turned in this "voucher", I would be charged for my room though I had already paid through Kayak.Com and showed him my email receipt. I told him I've never received a voicher to turn in and that seems like something his hotel had to retrieve, not me. He made me stay on the phone with kayak.com for over 40 minutes threatening that if I left without having it faxed that he would charge my card. I was livid, as this took time out of my time in Montreal. Eventually Kayak called them on the other line and sorted it out. I did not have to be involved at all.

Other than that, the rooms were homey, the beds were very comfortable, and the location, okay. Just be careful how you book this place...

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Hotel Roberval was great. The room was cozy and well-equipped with a bathroom, kitchen (with stove, fridge, dishware, and table), balcony, and bed. The halls of the hotel are a bit tricky to navigate and the parking lot is sort of a nightmare (with very narrow passageways and no elevators) but those issues are minimal (unless you have impaired mobility, in which case the parking garage would be something of an issue. The hotel itself has elevators, of course).

The location is pretty good. Definitely walkable to the old city and one of Montreal's major metro stops, but if you're looking to literally be in the center of things, this place isn't that. It's technically in the latin quarter, which is not the best area. But like I said, things are walkable. The area also isn't awful, and if you're planning on doing touring anyway it doesn't really matter.

The service was good and the receptionists were helpful. We got a great recommendation for a breakfast place not far from the hotel from one of the women behind the desk which was great. Overall, it's a great value for the price--inexpensive accommodations but doesn't feel like a "budget hotel." It is actually quite nice, clean, and air conditioned, and the beds are comfortable.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

It was nice to have access to a small fridge, a sink and ustensils without having to pay a supplement. It's was also nice to have a breakfast included even if it was a bit rudimentary. Having free wi-fi is most appreciated.

It is well located : 15 minutes walking distance to Place des Arts approximately. The decor of the room is rather basic but the room is clean (which is more important than the looks, I think).

Finally, only negative point is the the mattress wasn't firm enough, but it's the case for many hotel I went before.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Location - a walk to good eating and some directions felt dodgy. 4th Floor room very noisy - street noise with 8 lanes of traffic in 4 directions and stop lights/intersection. Window had two glass layers but not double glazed (sealed) so still very noisy and air con was set into wall allowing more street noise in. fortunately aircon was very noisy so we used that to drown out all but trucks & sirens. staff v good but deposit required on check in was $100 more than total bill so felt like thieves before we even saw our room - which was clean and spacious. "kitchenette" had fridge and cutlery and no cooking (no stove, oven, toaster or microwave). breakfast had highly processed cereal (fruit loops and wheat flakes), fruit salad from tin. coffee drinkable and yoghurt good and croissants good - so breakfast reasonable for price.

2  Thank FCarroll18
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Got it through a discounted price. Hotel is in a good location. Close to the village. Was given a single bed room when at the time of booking there was no indication of the room. (I had looked for this info. & so assumed it was a double bed) Hotel was full so couldn't get a different room. Despite that it was quiet. Free continental breakfast. Parking is outside and not on site. Room was clean. Hotel staff seemed nice and helpful but did not really interact with them much just through observation of other guests. This is more of a suite type of hotel as there is a kitchenette area with basic kitchenware. Wifi was good. Would stay here again at that price.

Room Tip: Contact hotel if there is no clear indication of what the room type is.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 31, 2013

My wife and I spent four nights at the Roberval on Rue Berri. We stayed in the kitchenette, which was clean and well stocked with dishes and cookware. the bed was comfortable and the breakfast was pretty good light fare: yogurt, coffee, croissants, cereal, canned fruit and such. The staff was helpful and friendly.

The lighting, desk, kitchen table and medium sized television were all adequate.

The hotel is two blocks from the Rue Berri-UQAM station and an easy walk to the restaurants and stores on Ste. Catherine near the Village.

It is not a luxury hotel and is well priced for medium budget travellers. I would stay here again. Thanks

Room Tip: We were close to the door to Rue Berri and heard people banging luggage as they came in or out . Oth...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul S
Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

we stayed at this hotel thru Hotwire and we were extremely satisfied with our stay. Our room was very clean. The hotel was located walking distance to Rue St Denis, Old Montreal and St Catherines (downtown). there was parking nearby for 15/night. the only negative I found was the towels being a bit thin and the a/c possibly not enough to cool the room on a hot summer day as it was the older room a/c type. breakfast was ok- enjoyed the montreal bagels on our first day.

• Stayed: May 2013