“A delightful place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of B&B La Petite Prune

B&B La Petite Prune
Ranked #14 of 144 Montreal B&B and Inns
Worcester, United Kingdom
“A delightful place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

I cannot honestly imagine why you would want to stay anywhere else. The bedroom was perfect, OK the bathroom was across the hallway but we didn't share, it was for our sole use. Breakfast was excellent, fresh home baking everyday. The situation is perfect for exploring Montreal, it is close to the subway and cheap secure parking. Excellent restaurants in the area, our favourite was a Moroccan restaurant near to Laurier subway but we had good crepes and rustic french cooking very close by. I have paid double the rate for hotels which are half as good.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Duncan M
Akiko Y, Owner at B&B La Petite Prune, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you for staying at La Petite Prune.
It was very nice meeting you. I enjoyed talking with you every morning. :)
I am happy to know that you had a good time here.
If you have a chance to come back to Montreal, I would be glad to have you again at La Petite Prune. :)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Erding, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

I stayed 8 nights in La Petite Prune and I really enjoyed every day. Shops and restaurants are around the corner, and Metro station Sherbrooke is a 3-5 minutes walk away. Avenue Laval is a pretty, calm and safe street. The rooms are bright and friendly, and everything is clean and nicely decorated. Akiko is a great hostess, and I loved her home made brown bread, scones, muffins, crepes and marmalades. I also appreciated her company and the conversations with her at the breakfast table. She knows a lot about Montreal and places to visit, and she is always helpful with finding out things you want to know :) I would definitely go there anytime again for a stay in Montreal!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Andrea R
Akiko Y, Owner at B&B La Petite Prune, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Thank you for staying at La Petite Prune.
I am glad to know that you enjoyed your stay here. I also enjoyed our conversations every morning.
Montreal has so much to offer. I like to check out what is happening in the city for myself, and also to able to give suggestions to my guests.
I would be happy to have you again if you have a chance to come back to Montreal. :)

I wish you a very happy new year!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

My bf and I visited Montreal in Dec., and we stayed one night in La Petite Prune.
We stayed on the 1st floor room with our private bathroom.
The room was clean and well decorated-- beautiful and cozy.
Akiko prepared everything in the bathroom, shampoo&body wash, hairdryer, shaving cream, towels and bath robes...
It is a historical townhouse so the noisy level is medium, you can hear footsteps upstairs and people getting up and down from the floor. But that was expected, like when you live at home.
Akiko also prepared great breakfast, various choices. You have to experience it yourself to know how well she bakes!
Overall, it was an amazing experience, we loved it!

BTW, the location is very nice, close to subway and buses, close to old montreal and chinatown.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Akiko Y, Owner at B&B La Petite Prune, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you for staying at La Petite Prune.
I am glad to know that you enjoyed your stay.
It's nice to hear that you liked the breakfast I prepared.
I hope you will have another occation to come back here. I prepare something different every morning. I would be happy to have you again at La Petite Prune. :)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

I found this place through a booking website and entered all my payment details etc to book, after the fact I then found out it was a shared bathroom place (had I known this before booking I would have chosen something else). I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt as it was only one night.

The location wasn't too bad, you have to go up a very precarious set of stairs and I hate to think about what that's like in winter or after a few drinks. You also have to take of your shoes which is ridiculous for a hotel.

This place is someone's home and is much more suited for AirBnB than it is for hotel finding websites. I am amazed that the place I stayed was the same as the one written about on here.

I paid for a room with 2 beds, I got one double but it was ok and fairly comfortable. the bathroom wasn't as bad as I expected but getting in the in the morning was annoying because of other people staying there.

I had a bagel and nutella for breakfast which was fine, but I didn't touch my coffee as there were little white bits floating in it - not sure if it was from the milk and I didn't want to make a thing about it so I just had the juice.

Overall, I won't be back and if you can afford to stay elsewhere do so.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Helen T
Akiko Y, Owner at B&B La Petite Prune, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
I am sorry that you were expecting something else. I wish you had read the room description carefully before you booked. I am not sure why you thought you paid for a room with 2 beds but the reservation was made for a room with 1 double bed (there was a picture on the confirmation letter you showed me too) and the charge was only for this room.

I am surprised too that you were not aware of the shared bathroom and of the stairs even though you had read the reviews here.

This is a bed and breakfast and not a hotel. I would like my guests to have different experience than in a hotel. My guests often tell me that they had a "home away from home" experience, and this makes me really happy.

Again, I am sorry that you were not aware of all these.
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

I'm delighted to say that I agree completely with the other reviews. We stayed two nights at La Petite Prune and loved the whole experience.

Akiko is an extremely accommodating hostess. She clearly loves Montreal and offers a lot of information, friendly multilingual conversation and a good breakfast spread. I loved waking up to the smell of her fresh-brewed coffee and banana muffins.

We slept first in the Sora room and later in the Mori room. Mori is smaller, but ended up I sleeping better on the Mori bed. Both share a bathroom with the other second-floor rooms.

Walking from the Petite Prune to local restaurants, shops and parks is quick and easy, but it's also just as simple to take the local subway lines. The inn is on a quiet, tree-lined street with lots of other brownstones. It feels very safe and welcoming... like you're coming home to a good friend's house.

Thanks for making our trip to Montreal so easy and relaxing!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Akiko Y, Owner at B&B La Petite Prune, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you for staying at La Petite Prune.
It was nice meeting you. I am glad to know that you enjoyed your stay.

Yes, I do love Montreal! and I wish to introduce this beautiful city to as many people as possible. :)
Especially the plateau where the B&B is located is my favorite area. There are many restaurants, cafes, boutiques, etc... and a lot of festivals and events take place in this area, It's very convenient, yet it is usually very quiet around the B&B. Streets are lined with trees and I just love walking around (and seeing many squirrels!).

If you have a chance to come back to Montreal, it would be my pleasure to have you again at La Petite Prune!
Fresno, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

I can't add much to what others have said; I can only confirm it. The front stairs might be a bit of a challenge for some people, but are typical of the traditional terraced houses of Montreal. Food, service, location, hospitality and quietness are all very fine. Very convenient to the Berri-UQAM bus/Metro station, which is the last stop for the 747 Bus from the airport.. We stayed at La Petite Prune at the beginning of our trip, and also at the end. Lots of eateries and other shops in the area, and the No. 24 bus up and down Rue Sherbrooke could hardly be easier to catch.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Akiko Y, Owner at B&B La Petite Prune, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you for staying at La Petite Prune!
It was a pleasure meeting you. I really enjoyed having you here. :)

Since I moved to Montreal I never stopped being a tourist. I love visiting museums, going to events, going up Mont-Royal for the city view, etc... so I know what's convenient for tourists. I was very happy when I found this house to open a B&B. :)

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay here. I would be happy to have you again at La Petite Prune if you have a chance to come back to Montreal.
Hickory Creek, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed two nights in late September in the Koume room. The room is very large and can accomodate more than a couple. The B&B is well kept and very clean. Akiko is an excellent hostess ,very attentive to your needs but not intrusive.
The location is great. The 24 bus which runs on Sherbrooke is a very short walk away. This bus will take you to the Museum of Fine Arts(we were able to see the Cihully glass exhibit), main "downtown areas, as well as the Metro station at Sherbrooke where which can "get to" any of the 4 Metro lines.
There are nice restraurants within one block in the Plateau area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying at La Petite Prune!
It was very nice meeting you. I enjoyed talking with you while you were here.

The location of the B&B is excellent indeed. :)
I rarely take metro/bus in the summer. Most of the tourist attractions are within walking distance. Some places like the Botanical Gardens, Jean-Talon Market, are a little bit far but I bike to these places. Montreal is such a bike-friendly city, and tourists can easily rent a bixi bike for the day.
In the winter, I take metro & buses... it takes 5 minutes to walk to the Sherbrooke metro station, and 1 minute to the nearest #24 bus stop!

Thank you again for staying at La Petite Prune, and for this positive review. I would be happy to have you again here. :)