“Quiet Gem in Bustling Summer Montreal” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of B&B La Petite Prune

B&B La Petite Prune
Ranked #13 of 144 Montreal B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Quiet Gem in Bustling Summer Montreal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

At CDN $125 a night for three nights in July 2013, we rented the large room on the first floor with a private bathroom. We recommend and would come back -- I've lived in Montreal for 4 years as a student at McGill and I was very impressed with the B&B's location and the price-quality offering.

The room came with two twin matresses, a huge futon, a (very) small flat screen TV. The towels were changed daily. The room had a window facing a surprisingly quiet residential street. The bathroom is not attached to the room but across the hallway which is a little awkward because it's the main hallway leading to the building's entrance but we were given plush bathrobes in which to cross from our room to the bathroom. The bathroom has only a shower, sink, and toilet and is very small but flawlessly clean.

Akiko and her personality make the B&B. She is flexible (we arrived at 23:00), nice, and looks after her guests (even picking up skim milk when we asked for it). Her breakfasts included meat and eggs and were very tasty. She makes herself available for questions and promptly replies to all emails, etc.

The location of the B&B cannot be beat. It is basically off the pedistration zone of Rue Prince Arthur which runs between St. Laurent and St. Denis, two of the major Montreal streets (nightlife, restaurants, culture, shopping). And it's a 5 minute walk to the third: St. Catherine, which is at the heart of the jazz, comedy, and other festivals. Also, both the orange and the green metro lines stop nearby (5-8 minutes walking). And bixi-bicycle stations are nearby as well. It is about a 15-20 minute walk to the McGill campus. And about a 20 minute walk to the old city or Le Village.

With Akiko's help, we found street parking that was 50 feet from the B&B. Be careful when apkring in Montreal as some spaces require a residential permit and there are street-cleaning hours in effect on certain days of the week! Signs are (obviously) in French!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robin C
Akiko Y, Owner at B&B La Petite Prune, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for staying at La Petite Prune.
It was nice meeting you. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay.

Thank you also for this review with useful information for the readers. It will surely be helpful for them when making travel plans.

I hope you have a great summer. I would be happy to have you again any time at La Petite Prune. :)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Ukiah, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in early July. The location was ideal for walking, dining and drinking, as the neighborhood is between the Latin Quarter and the Rue Prince Arthur pedestrian street full of charming cafes, restaurants and street musicians. Yet we were not kept awake by noise at night. Akiko was not only an attentive hostess, ready to provide maps and guides, but also full of information and conversation whenever we were inclined. We enjoyed putting our feet up over a bottle of wine on the back deck in the afternoons. We also had several delightful conversations with fellow travelers during breakfast time, even gaining new pen pals from France. If the opportunity arises, we would love to return to La Petite Prune.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Akiko Y, Owner at B&B La Petite Prune, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for staying at La Petite Prune.
It was really nice meeting you. I enjoyed our conversations very much while you were here.

I myself love the neighbourhood around the B&B, I remember coming here as a tourist when I used to live in British Columbia, and this charming area made me want to come back again. :)

It's nice to see my guests make friends with each other at the B&B. I enjoyed our conversations in the morning with you too.

I would be very happy to have you again at La Petite Prune if you return to Montreal!
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at Le Petit Prune for this year's Montreal Jazz Fest. The location is perfect. It is situated in a quiet street and it is walking distance to most venues and sites. Akiko is a wonderful host and the rooms are cozy. We enjoyed the wonderful breakfast and the lively conversation with the host. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Akiko Y, Owner at B&B La Petite Prune, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for staying at La Petite Prune.
It was nice meeting you. I really enjoyed our conversations while you were here.
I love talking with my guests at the breakfast table. It's the best part of my day.
I am glad to see that you had a good time too.

I would be happy to have you again any time at La Petite Prune. :)
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed here for three nights and really enjoyed the atmosphere. We sat on the deck in the evenings and had a drink and discussed the days events and our next days plans with advice from Akiko. We felt very at ease making ourselves a hot drink in the kitchen and using the microwave one night. The breakfast table was always set beautifully and because we left early on the last morning Akiko packed us up a breakfast to eat on the train. The b and b was in a tree lined street with lovely old homes, a park at the end of the street and a pedestrian area around the corner with many restaurants. There was a bus about 5 - 10 minutes walk away which could take you to the Old Montreal or with a transfer to Mont Royal. The bedroom we had was quite small but cozy and it overlooked the street. We shared a bathroom with three other rooms but we rarely had to wait for more than a few minutes. It was a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: If you like a bit of noise and activity choose a front room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Akiko Y, Owner at B&B La Petite Prune, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for staying at La Petite Prune.
It was nice meeting you. I really enjoyed having you here.
I am glad to see that you had a comfortable stay.

3 guestrooms share a bathroom upstairs but when I take reservations I am careful not to have so many people in these rooms on the same night, and thanks to my respectful guests, usually there is no problem.

Canada is a bit far from New Zealand, but if you return to Montreal, I would be happy to have you at La Petite Prune!
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

My girlfriend & I had the great pleasure to stay at Le Petit Prune for one night in late June 2013, and we loved it. Akiko is a well versed in the hospitality business and makes a delish Petit Dejeuner. This B & B is in a quiet area, but within walking distance of popular spots in the heart of Montreal and a couple streets from the subway. We plan to stay their again on our next trip this adorable French city.

Room Tip: We stayed in the sun room which has two separate beds, one queen on twin.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Akiko Y, Owner at B&B La Petite Prune, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you for staying at La Petite Prune.
It was nice meeting you. It was only a one night stay but I really enjoyed our conversations while you were here.

I am sure one day was not enough to do everything you had wanted to do in Montreal. I hope you will have another opportunitly to come back here soon. I would be glad to have you again at La Petite Prune then.
Belleville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

I had the great pleasure to stay at Le Petit Prune for four nights with my friend, recently, and we both agreed we would go back in a heartbeat. Situated in a quiet area, this B & B is still within walking distance of many active spots in the heart of Montreal.
Highly recommended for the excellent breakfasts, warm hospitality, cleanliness and proximity to many of Montreal's wonderful sites.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Akiko Y, Owner at B&B La Petite Prune, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for staying at La Petite Prune!
It was really nice meeting you. I enjoyed talking with you every morning.
I am glad to see that you had a good time here too.

Thank you again for the gift! I am very looking forward to try it soon. :)

I would be happy to have you again if you return to Montreal.
Radford, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband, 4 year old daughter, mother-in-law, and I all stayed in Koume for two nights and we loved it! The location was amazing, right there on a beautiful tree-lined street next to Square St. Louis, Rue Prince Arthur, and St. Denis. There were so many things to see and do within walking distance of our door and a metro stop less than a 3 minute walk. Our hostess, Akiko, was sweet and attentive, and she made a fabulous breakfast each morning. We really enjoyed chatting with her and our neighbors while enjoying her amazing food and coffee! The house was charming and was filled with plenty of amenities like luxurious, Japanese shampoo.
La Petite Prune is a great place to stay if you want to feel like a savvy local and a pampered guest at the same time!

Room Tip: All rooms looked great, but we stayed in Koume which is located on the main floor with a private bat...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MadLang
Akiko Y, Owner at B&B La Petite Prune, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Thank you for staying at La Petite Prune, and also for your Facebook "Likes".
It was nice actually meeting you finally. I really enjoyed our conversations during the breakfast time every morning.

The B&B is located close to many tourist attractions, but it is never too touristy around the house. I myself enjoy walking around, enjoy a cup of coffee in a cute cafe, window-shopping on St-Laurent Blvd, etc. I am glad to know that you enjoyed the location too!

Thank you again. It would be my pleasure to have you any time again at La Petite Prune. :)