“Tiny Room Too Pricy”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Quebec
“Tiny Room Too Pricy”
Reviewed September 9, 2006

Just came back from a one-night stay at Le Pomerol. Although advertisements show and staff talk about what beautiful rooms they have to offer, I found it to be a very disappointing experience. The 'superior' room that I had reserved was almost the size of my walk-in closet with barely 3 feet to get around the 3 sides of the bed...Carpet was cheap and old commercial type anf floor was quite uneven. The closet was also 'improvised' with a curtain hanging from the ceiling and although their website shows off the superior room with a double whirpool bath in a corner by the bed, our single tub was tucked in a very small washroom. Noise was also an issue. People above us woke us up that morning as we could follow their every footsteps in the room. Definitely not a place that I will return to even though they proudly display the award they won this year at their reception desk. Disappointing when you travel to Montreal to see a cultural event that was booked a long time ago. Fortunately, the show was worth it but not the auberge.

Stayed September 2006
3 Thank TravelTheGlobe99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
singapore
Reviewed January 16, 2006

My boyfriend and I drove 5 hours from Toronto and stayed 2 nights at the Pomerol. Naturally, sleep is very important for us. Upon arrival, the décor and ambience was better than we had anticipated. But hidden under the façade was, exposed pipes in storage room and water noises from the pipes.

The Jacuzzi feature advertised was bogus. It was there alright but it didn’t work. My boyfriend went to the front desk personally to tell them of the problem but was told that he’ll send a technician up the next day to fix it or else he’ll give us a rebate. He didn’t even come up to look at it.

The room is not sound- proof. Every time the neighbor turns on the tap to wash hands or to shower, we could hear. Imagine awoken up abruptly by that noise at 430 am! We complained about the noise in the morning and was told that our “neighbor” had checked out and we won’t face that problem again.

2nd day, we came back at night. The Jacuzzi still wasn’t fixed so we thought we’ll have a rebate. But the water noise was still there. It seems we had a NEW neighbor. Good thing they slept early.

Check out. I asked about the rebate and was told that she was not informed of such arrangements and said that we were already taking the special deal and so it was not possible a further discount.

Good point? It has an excellent location.

10 Thank syndy
Collingswood, New Jersey
Reviewed January 3, 2006

This hotel I stayed at based on the good reviews I had found at BBSelect, a Canadian B&B booking agency. Unfortunately, they turned out to be dead wrong.

The hotel staff treated me like I was a college student in a dormitory which I do not and did not appreciate. The evening man was very unfriendly and when I told him how rude he was to me and my friends, the manager simply explained that basically this was the hotel's "invisible policy" and that to be upfront about it would offend even more guests. I replied that he and his staff were running a dormitory and not a hotel. Although tastefully decorated, I would never give these people my money again. They advertise in gay publications as being a gay-friendly establishment; nothing could have been further from the truth.

• Stayed July 2004
10 Thank tapdancer77
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 2, 2005

My husband and I stayed at Le Pomerol over the long weekend in July/August. We loved our luxury room, though it was on the pricy side considering the lack of "extras" at the hotel. For my husband & I we really wanted to have romantic surroundings which definitely was the case. We loved the contemporary decor! On that point, this hotel won hands down - it's very well styled. BUT given the price we paid, I had to pick "AVERAGE" for its review.

This hotel is like a boutique hotel, and though there is wireless internet available for all the rooms, I would think that this hotel would be better suited for couples over business travellers. The hotel is ideally situated - close enough to walk to a LOT of interesting places (restaurants, bars & Old Montreal) not to mention that the METRO is right across the street from the hotel. If you don't need the hotel extras and enjoy being in the right location, then this is the hotel for you.

A big downside to the hotel (as one of the other reviews mentioned) is that there are no services available other than basic maid service. I would also have to agree that given the nightly rate we paid, our expectations were not quite met either. Still, it is a large city hotel and the price was "reasonable" considering, but for the same amount of money I'll stay elsewhere next time, without the pretty decor perhaps, but WITH all the extras that one enjoys of a hotel.

• Stayed July 2005
3 Thank jpidgen
Reviewed May 30, 2005

I have been coming to Montreal many times on business trips and tried many hotels. A friend suggested this Bed and Breakfast which turned out to be one of my best experiences in this city.

The location is perfect! Close enought to downtown and Old Montreal which makes after work more ineresting.

The room in which I stayed offered style and comfort. The continental breakfast displayed variation. The free internet connection is a plus for people on business trips needing to keep in touch with the office.

The prices are very reasonable considering the quality and cleanleness of the room.

The friendly service makes it all that much more enjoyable!!!

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 25, 2005

My wife and I stayed at Le Pomerol and had a very substandard experience. We were given one of the smallest rooms with only a double bed, not even an alarm clock and a bathroom smaller than most closets. Being a seasoned traveler and worked in the service industry we had the internet reservation handy. I told them there must be a mistake, which they denied. After some time of sorting out the issue we were given the proper room which was much nicer in most respects including basic immenities that were absent in the first room. The ultra-modern decor is interesting and shows some attention to detail, although one aspect might be luxurious many details of decor and service are missing. The beds were very firm and the rooms showed wear and tear although kept clean.

This establishment is far from a luxury hotel or a place for corporate travelers to feel comfortable doing business. The facilities are overstated in the advertisements and pictures are taken at very opportune angles. There are no services available other than basic maid service. The restaurant onsite is not run by the hotel and while offering a discount for guests was unwilling to serve us at 8:45pm and only serve yourself breakfast items were available aside from the restaurant. The internet connection did not work in our room preventing needed work from being done.

I must say the staff were all friendly and helpful but the expectations presented in their advertising and high rates approach false advertising.

We'll pay the same money and stay at a much nicer facility next time!

Stayed March 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 10, 2005

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on our tripp to Montreal. We are from Europe and loved the little touches of European elegance that were given to the hotel. The manager was fantastic to deal with. We will be back for sure!!!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member