$220
$415
$399
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbreakfast basketpicnic basketeach morningyogurtmetro stationexecutive roomold montreallovely little hotelroom doorrue strooms are smallboutique hotelhomeless peoplegay villagereception areanice breakfastfront desk staff
Reviewed July 10, 2008

I have stayed a few times in Montreal and for now the Pomerol is my personal favourite!

The Auberge is well-situated, directly in downtown near the Village, just in front of a major subway station and at 2 minutes walking from the bus station.

The Pomerol is quite small, but the interior is well-designed so it doesn't feel tiny at all, only cozy. We have been welcome with kind, polite and competent staff.

But the greatest surprise was when we opened our bedroom's door; our superior room decoration was just perfect. So far away from a lot of kitsch hotel and inn that I have seen before. Everything is very modern and custom made for the Pomerol. I even threatened the staff that I would have to steal their painting because I wouldn't be able to find it anywhere else!

We went back to the front desk and the receptionist offered me to visit the other rooms, what I did (I work for a kind of travel agency). To be honest, the economic rooms are a bit small but look good anyway. But the regular and superior rooms are worth the 20 or 40 bucks more. And the executive are just mind-blowing. Most of the rooms have a little fridge and plasma television with a DVD player where you can also listen to music.

After a free snack offered by the hotel until late in the evening in the guest kitchen (including cookies, cheese, coffee, tea and other) we went to a comfy night of sleep.

The breakfast in the morning is a little light but good. Muffin, crescent, jam, cheese, coffee, all at your front door when you wake up. So no need to hurry and dress up before you go out to eat! You have the chance to be lazy...

So overall, the Pomerol was responsible for a great romantic get-away in Montreal!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed June 9, 2008

We stayed at the Pomerol while in Montreal for the Grand Prix. It was one of the few hotels that had rooms left. While it is not in the nicest section of downtown Montreal, the hotel itself is very nice. It is very small, but has charm. They only had the ecomonic rooms left which are very small but clean and decorated nicely. The staff really made the place. The two women who were at the front desk went out of their way to be helpful, even letting us stay beyond our checkout time at no extra charge. They have a small kitchen stocked with cheese, crackers, cookies, coffee etc. from 3:00 p.m. until 11:00 p.m. A very nice touch. The subway is right across the street and the walk to old Montreal takes about 15-20 minutes.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 27, 2008

I was nervous reading the reviews on this site but I couldn't have been happier with our stay.

The price was great. Granted, it was in the middle of winter and over Easter weekend, but this room was a steal. Furthermore, if you are on a tight budget, you could EASILY save money on breakfast and lunch by eating the hotel breakfast and snacks.

The breakfast consists of a croissant, another type of pastry (muffin or danish), a yogurt, a piece of fruit, a package of cheese and a drink -- PER PERSON. The snacks that appear around 3pm include several types of cookies, a cheese platter, crackers and dried fruits. Plus, they have bread and peanut butter and jelly in the kitchen at all times of the day. Now, hopefully you get to sample the delicious food in Montreal, but if you really wanted to save money on food, this would be a good choice to stay.

The location was perfect. It's a block from St. Denis which is covered in restaurants. And it's right across the street from the Metro. One of the reviews here said it was a block away -- not true. It's directly across the street.

The staff was friendly but only somewhat helpful. They did not offer many recommendations like one of the reviews said. I also got the "go to st. Denis for food" recommendation that someone else mentioned. Also, it seems like the package they offer for the Botanical Gardens and Biodome is $5 more than what you can buy if you actually go to the Biodome to purchase tickets.

We stayed in an executive suite and it was pretty nice. I travel quite frequently and, frankly, a room is a room to me unless it's a really BAD room. This room was probably above average because of the jacuzzi tub we had that we used every night. The bathroom is pretty small but not a big deal to me. The room was a decent enough size for my tastes. Compared to a room at, say a Fairmont hotel, it's much smaller (and we got the big room), but like I said, it's just a place to sleep, really.

There is a lounge downstairs with a computer and a fireplace. Wireless internet available free with no password. Restaurant right next door (connected to the hotel). Walls were a little thin, but not a big problem. I could hear our neighbors TV at one point during the night, but nothing woke me up.

Overall, I would DEFINITELY recommend the place and I would ABSOLUTELY stay here again if I come back to Montreal.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2007

Stayed here for two nights and would not return for several reasons. The neighborhood, although probably safe, is unappealing. Many down and out folks on the streets. Nothing to recommend the buildings and stores nearby. When I returned at 10PM one night, I asked about where I could eat at that time and was told to go over to rue St. Denis and I could probably find someplace. I think that a hotel should have more knowledge of what is available and I had been along St. Denis and knew that I would not easily find a place close by. I ended up walking around and found a decent hamburger/pizza place a block away but not towards St. Denis. There were other restaurants in that direction, too, and I'd expect management to be aware of them but they seemed not to be.

Looking back I think that I got what I paid for considering that Montreal is an expensive, large city. The room was OK for one and the complimentary breakfast was good. The Metro is a block away and can get you anywhere in the city. I do not speak French but everyone (including the parking attendent) was helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
4  Thank bdhirst1
Reviewed July 23, 2007

We overnighted in Montreal at the Auberge Le Pomerol, 819 Boul. De Maisonneuve in July 2007. Our very clean, beautifully decorated and comfortable room had a king bed, large flat panel TV, and a Sony radio that was several grades above standard hotel issue. A large jetted-tub in the modest-size bathroom and remote for the AC capped off the feeling of small-space luxury. The inn provides some nice touches. Breakfast appears-- breads, cheese, juice, yogurt--in a closed basket hung on a hook outside your room. Cookies, dried fruits and other light snacks are available gratis in a downstairs room until 11 PM. We met only friendly and helpful staffers.

We reserved the same day with the front desk at the very good price of $130 plus taxes using a "last minute" promo code obtained from Tourisme-Montreal . Free use of an off-site gym was included, but we declined. Parking is available in a private lot right behind the hotel at $14/night.

For us the biggest, but not too bad, negative was the location. Although there are stores and restaurants close to the hotel, Old Montreal is not. It took these two seniors about 25 minutes to walk to Old Montreal, passing a scruffy panhandler along the way. Brisk walkers could cut that time in half. A desk clerk advised us not to walk too far towards the left out of the hotel because there is not too much good to see. Being native New Yorkers, we accept local "good sense" restrictions as part of life in any large city. A subway is very close, and taxis are always an option. A very minor inconvenience is the few steps down from the tiny lobby to the elevator. The staff willingly helps with your bags if you ask.

My wife and I highly recommended this inn for leisure travelers, except for those who prefer to be closer to the old city. We very much enjoyed our brief stay.

• Stayed: July 2007