“Affordable hotel in the Latin Quarter”

Auberge Louisbourg Hotel
Auberge Louisbourg Hotel
Ranked #108 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Moscow, Russia
“Affordable hotel in the Latin Quarter”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

The hotel has a good location near Sainte-Caterine street, shop arteria of the city. The Village, gay community quarter, is just 5 minutes away. Half-an-hour walk from the centre of downtown. The breakfast continental includes just croissant, juice and coffee. I would recommend the hotel to backpackers and tourists.

The staff is friendly, they helped us with a cork screw (there is not any in the hotel and they asked for us in the nearest hotels), they always warned us about parking rules and provided us with useful information about the city.

The drawbacks: no elevator, the upstairs seem to be unsafe, the hotel is a little bit filthy. The charge is on check-in for all the nights (which contradicts booking.com reservation policy for this hotel). There is no free parking, so you should find a free place in the street in accordance with city policy and re-park your car almost every day, which is ammoying. The nearest parking is 12 CAD per day.

Room Tip: ask the lowest floor possible
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2009

I was looking for an affordable hotel near Latin Quarter, and I booked this one, despite the negative reviews on TripAdvisor. I did so because I read some not-so-bad recent reviews on another website (booking.com, which I used to book this hotel), and boy, am I happy that I followed my insticts. There were two us in a large room with high ceiling and two double beds. Everything was clean and spacious, and that was all we were looking for. We were on the top, third floor, and there were no elevators, but I didn't mind. I mean, the whole hotel is kind of old, and they use old fashioned room keys, but the emphasis here is on clean, spacious and close to Latin Quarter, where most of the screenings of Montreal Film Festival took place (and were there for this film festival). And oh - my wireless internet connection was perfect. I stayed in more expensive hotels in Montreal in the past several years, and they had much worse connections.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Allek
Montreal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2006

My friend came from the Netherlands and I booked her in this hotel. When I got there the first day with my friend, they wanted us to pay upfront the whole period she was staying (10days) and they said they would refund her for the nights if she was going to be outside of Montreal or something. She had to argue with them how many days she was gone, cause they didn't keep track properly themselves! That neighbourhood is full of ---. No joke. One night my bf accompanied her back to her hotel and the guy behind the desk didn't allow him to enter her room (???). He was rude and drunk and violent! He chased my bf out of the hotel with a baseball bat. My friend got scared and stayed the night over at my place. The next morning when we explained what happened and how ill-treated we were, they still refused to give her back her money. Just don't go there!

Stayed August 2006
2 Thank Nikatomi

Travelers are raving about these Montreal hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2005

We ended up getting a room here after another hotel gave away our reservation. After explaining our situation, we were happy that the manager could accomodate us. Upon arrival he told us that he was giving away another groups reservation to accomodate us. I guess that should have given us a hint at the quality of service. The room had two double beds and cost $90 each night.

The bathroom was filthy and had mold growing on the tiles. There were holes in the wall from electrical work. The toilet obviously hadn't been cleaned in several days. The shower was too small to turn around in - and the door didn't shut - in the shower or to the bathroom itself.

We were afraid to go barefoot anywhere in the room. It had a stench too. We couldn't open any windows because of the air conditioner. Not that we wanted to - there was some kind of abandon house behind us. The fire escape had at least 20 bags of rotting garbage piled on it. The back door which was just outside of our room was not locked.

All in all it was a dirty little hotel. I would have rather slept on the street in our car than stay there again.

• Stayed September 2005