“Old Montreal”

Ranked #37 of 145 Montreal B&B and Inns
Sarnia, Canada
“Old Montreal”
Reviewed November 6, 2011

The old city is wonderful and one can walk everywhere of interest from this small,quaint inn . It is very charming and the rooms and staff very nice . One can walk to many areas of interest in this wonderful city.

Room Tip: not on the first floor from my observation and there is no elevator ----- my friend and I stayed on...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed October 2, 2011

My son and I stayed here while attending a concert in montreal. The locale is very picturesque, and in the heart of old montreal. We took the train to Montreal from Ottawa, and getting from the train to the hotel with the metro was a breeze. Plenty of places to eat around here, and lots of shopping if, if you are so inclined.

The place was very clean, and the staff very helpful. The doors and walls are a little thin, so you may hear sound form other rooms. We heard someone snoring. But it was not so loud that it was disruptive. People chatting in the hallways can be heard in the mornings.

The included breakfast was a simple European style breakfast. The coffee was good and the croissants were fresh.

I would definitely recommend this as a place to stay, and would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Santa Fe, NM
Reviewed September 11, 2011

My wife and I decided to spend our 27th anniversary in Montreal since neither of us had visited as adults. I researched the tremendous variety of accomodations in and around the historic district. Auberge Bonsecours (AB) was not my first choice, but now that we know better we are certainly glad we stayed here.
Historic Montreal is a slightly bizzare place. Buildings are lovely and the cobblestoned streets add to the flavor. However, once you scratch the surface there is little substance. We purchased the museum pass for $60.00 each which gave us unlimited access for three days. We barely used it due to the low quality level of the exhibits. It is also not taken at the main cathedral (separate admission fee) or the art museum (free). I suggest you pass on the pass.
Saint Paul street is the main thoroughfare that intersects the historic district. On the western end it is packed with tourists, overpriced restaurants and crass souvenir stores. Once you cross over the main plaza area, Cartier, the atmosphere improves a lot. Two blocks further west is the AB.
The AB is set back from the street which gives it an oasis feel. However, much to our surprise, at night a restaurant flourishes in the shared courtyard area. It stays loud well into the night. With the windows closed it didn't present much of a problem to us. Keeping the windows open would have been nice but being in this district rather than a quiet suburb has it's trade offs.
A word about management...AB is run by hired staff which limits their flexibility in accomodating guests. Also, the staff leaves at night. We didn't have a problem with this but I have read other reviews where this did become an issue. Be advised that English is not as widely comprehended as one might expect. We did have an issue communicating with the staff via emails and so I telephoned to make certain I was understood. Even so, there was a misunderstanding with the museum passes but the staff we encountered were so pleasant we didn't push the point.
With all this said, we really enjoyed our stay in the hotel itself. Our room (#2) was a nice size and lovely. Breakfast was above average. Staff was positive and helpful. Location was terrific for touring the historic district and beyond.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joshua F
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 6, 2011

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights at the Auberge on the Labour Day weekend. It is truly a lovely place, very charming and in a perfect location. Exactly what we were hoping for. Unfortunately, at 4:30 a.m. the first night, the fire alarm went off...an extremely loud siren. It lasted for an hour. No one came to tell us if it was a fire or a false alarm. Our window overlooked the courtyard, where the staff and a couple of police officers gathered to discuss the situation - loudly. Needless to say, our night's sleep was ruined.

The next morning when we came down to breakfast, nothing at all was said the staff. I was very surprised - surely a 'We're sorry' was called for. I spoke to the young lady at the desk about it; still no apology, just 'we don't know what's going on with the alarm'. I said I hoped it wouldn't happen again that night, and she replied 'No, absolutely it won't'.

At 7:45 the next morning, the alarm went off again. This time it only lasted for about 10 minutes, but any chance of catching up on our sleep was ruined. And again, no mention of it or apology when we went down for breakfast.

We decided to go for a walk before leaving, so my husband went to to ask for an extension of 1 hour on our check out. The young lady told him she would keep our luggage, but we'd have to leave the room. He insisted, and eventually she grudgingly agreed.

Our room was $240 per night, and both nights were ruined by the noise. I certainly did not expect to be given a hard time about an extra hour upon check out. And I did expect some kind of acknowlegement and apology, if not a refund or discount on a future stay. Some sense that the staff was trying to make our stay better. My husband put it into perspective when he told me 'Imagine if this had happened at The Alhambra Beach Resort in Fort Lauderdale'. He was so right. The owner there, Matt, would have been very quick to try to make amends! The difference in management style is stunning...and makes all the difference.

All in all, it was a beautiful little inn, but the way we were treated spoiled the experience for us. We understand that sometimes these things happen, and it was no one's fault. It was the reaction to it (or lack thereof) that was the problem. It was such a charming, lovely place, but would I stay there again? Probably not.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank canaussiegirl
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I booked a room for 3 adults online and was asked for a credit card number. Since my parents were paying for the trip, I called and asked them not to charge me on my card, but to do it on my dad´s as soon as we came in. They said there´d no problem doing that. We arrived at the Auberge at 8pm. The lady working there said she´d been waiting for us. They´d charged the first night in my credit card (as I specifically asked them not to). They cancelled the payment and charged my dad upfront for the three nights. The lady also gave us 3 keys and said that there wouldn´t be anyone working there at night, so we had to keep the keys with us to get in if we went out.
We went out and came back, it was raining and we spent 15 mins trying to open the front door, there was no roof so we got soaked, and there was nobody to call for help. We finally managed to get in. I opened my bed and there was a disgusting surprise, the sheets were not clean, there was hair all over the pillow and sheets. Again, there was no one there to complain to. The next morning I told the employee (which the I found out was the only person working there, making breakfast, cleaning the rooms, answering the phone, etc) and she said that they always change the sheets, that it might have been the drying machine that left hair on the sheets. I knew that wasn´t true.
Also, my dad told her about the problems with the lock, and that it needed some oil, she answered that she couldn´t do anything without asking the owner for permission.
Also, we had to change rooms for the last night because our room was booked. We knew that, so there was no problem. The thing is that the new room wasn´t ready, so the lady said that we should either wait until 2pm, or leave our stuff packed so that she could put it in the new room when it was ready.
The rooms were small, the ceiling too low, so we kept hitting our heads against it when we got up from bed.
I think that it wouldn´t be so bad if the owner wasn´t so cheap to have only one employee working there.
Also, they should improve the internet signal, it barely works.
I definetly won´t be coming back there, I do not recommend this place, it´s expensive and not worth it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Sheila1983
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Position and price make this "auberge" a very good deal. It resembles a b&b, but it has got rooms with private bathroom. I was there with my family and the four of us were sharing a room with two queen size beds. The room was a bit too small for our purpose, for instance not much place for four suitcases. Considering it was Montreal, the bagels at the breakfast were the biggest let down: I wasn't able to finish half of it :( Overall though the environment is pretty cozy and we enjoyed staying there.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Auberge Bonsecours, at 353 St Paul, is just a bit east of Place Jacques Cartier. St. Paul is a beautiful cobblestone street, part of which is closed for pedestrians only. Marche Bonsecours is right across the street. Many lovely restaurants with outside seating very close by. The auberge itself was absolutely lovely. Beautiful decor, artwork to enjoy, clean, comfortable. The 2 young women who were working there (Amandine and Manon) are from France and were fabulous. They made us feel so comfortable and welcome. The auberge has 7 rooms, all different. We started out in Room 1 on the main floor. It was quite “petite” but still comfortable. However, at breakfast we mentioned that we had heard the reception phone ring in the night and the doorbell. We weren’t complaining, but we were immediately offered to move to a room on another floor for the next night. We spent our second night in Room 5 and it was lovely as well; a bit bigger and quieter.

It was very hot when we were there and the air conditioning worked very well which made the nights very comfortable. Lovely breakfast included. The coffee was fabulous!

The entrance is set back in a court yard, so it is quiet. The gate on the street is locked at 10 p.m. (guests have a key). Places outside to sit and relax as well – tables in the court yard and a large 3rd floor terrace. A 5 minute walk around the corner and up the street to the depanneur for a reasonable wine selection (if one happens not to think about it in time to get to one of the nicer wine shops!).

We would definitely go back for another visit!

Room Tip: Room 1 on main level is just off the reception area (a bit noisy) & small. Room 5 lovely but sky...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple