“Not my first choice in Montreal”

Residence Inn Montreal Westmount
Ranked #70 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
New London, Wisconsin
“Not my first choice in Montreal”
Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at dozens of Marriott's and Residence Inn's over the years (being a former platinum member and current gold member) and I have to say this is the worst, far below the standard I ave come to expect from a Residence Inn.The only thing going for this place is it is in a great location, within steps of the Atwater subway station and an endless amount of restaurants, bars and shops. Close to nice parks, grocery stores and a movie theatre The view off the north side of the building above the 10th or so floor is very nice.

The condition of the hotel is deplorable, completely falling apart, It is quite obvious in the parking garage or balconies. The building appears to be an ancient apartment building with a fresh clumpy coat of paint slapped on it (this is speculation), which would be fine but it obviously was not designed to be a hotel. This is extremely apparent while waiting 10+minutes (not an exaggeration) for one of the two tiny elevators in this high rise. The guests and staff seem to be constantly battling each other for an elevator and sometimes even after waiting 10+ minutes, the elevator will finally arrive completely filled with a cleaning cart or through riders so you are forced to wait again (I have climbed the stairs 10 stories a number of times). Honestly no joke I am writing these words as I wait for the elevator in the lobby! Sometimes there is a large crowd piled up in the lobby waiting for a turn in the elevator. The car park is like a dungeon, which is fine but the key card access is failing and I often end up waiting for a staff member to come out and open the door.

Contrary to most Residence Inn's I've stayed in the fridge is about the size of a shoebox, making an extended stay very difficult. The kitchen appears to be freshly remodeled and overall nice, not so much for the rest of the room, ratty carpet, failing fixtures and a lack of light make the room uncomfortable to stay in. Cleaning personnel seem to be doing a good job for what they are up against, although I did wake up one morning with vomit on my balcony (from above I suspect) and it wasn't cleaned my entire stay. Some of the air conditioners seemed to be working ok, while others were making noises I've only heard in bowling alleys (I was here with a group so I was in a few different rooms throughout my stay).

The wireless Internet is a joke (as is most Marriott's) forget streaming or making video calls home on Skype. Even with a strong wireless signal, the service is too slow for anything more than very basic duties. I suggest bringing a travel router with and using the hard line connection provided, it is better.

Although they offer a morning breakfast with plenty of options I would stay away from the eggs and meat, I don't know where they get them but they are most certainly not real and taste disgusting. The breads and muffins are hard and taste like shoe leather which is unfortunate since there are some very good bakeries closeby. I would recommend eating breakfast elsewhere but this seems to be the norm in the Canadian Marriott's I've stayed in.

The staff is friendly and helpful, I just feel bad for them as they have to deal with this repulsive property.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank CheapAssTraveler
MarieLoevenbruck, Manager at Residence Inn Montreal Westmount, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear CheapAssTraveler,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your experience during your recent stay with us. We appreciate your comments as we are constantly striving to improve the level of quality offered by the hotel. We were sorry to read your disappointment about your stay and please be aware that we have shared your remarks with our Team Leaders in order to take the appropriate actions to improve ourselves wherever possible.

Should you decide to return to Montreal and give us another try, please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Korean first
New York
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Our family stayed in an one bedroom suite for 2 days in the end of August. We booked hotel using my company's discount rate, so it is a good value. However, the property needs some update. The carpet is suspicious dark red color that made it difficult to assess the cleanness of the room. In-room wifi is very slow and unreliable. During breakfast hours, it is very difficult to get an elevator ride. The elevator is slow and often packed. We used stairs even we stayed on the forth floor in several occasions. The breakfast selection is very standard.
Overall the hotel is a nice budget hotel but needs some improvement.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
MarieLoevenbruck, Manager at Residence Inn Montreal Westmount, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Laopu,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your comments regarding our accommodations & services are important to us, they allow us to develop and service our guest better. We shared your comments with our Team Leaders in order to take the appropriate actions to improve ourselves. Please contact us on your next trip to Montreal and we will make certain that your stay be pleasant one.

Montclair, New Jersey
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My husband, daughter and I really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The rooms and common areas were very clean and well maintained. The service was friendly and efficient. The in-room bathrooms could use a little updating, but otherwise all was good. The complimentary breakfast was decent as well. Lots of options to choose from, even for the pickiest of eaters. The free wi-fi was a big plus. A couple downsides: the pool was 4ft at it's shallowest, so this is obviously a no-go for very young kids or new swimmers. The fitness center was very small (as they are in many hotels), with 4 or 5 cardio machines and a few weights.

Room Tip: A one BR suite could accomodate 2 adults in the bedroom and 2 kids in the living room on the foldout...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Trae N,

We at the Residence Inn Montreal Westmount would like to thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. It’s a pleasure to read that we have met your expectations, and that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to welcome you and your family again soon!

Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

This was a great hotel for me - and I have stayed in several recently in Montreal. The room was good with a nice little balcony, the suite is ideal for long term residents and the kitchenette was in a separate room so the noise of the fridge doesn't keep you awake. The location is good being minutes away from the Metro and also with easy access to the Ville-Marie. The parking was good and much easier than some downtown hotels. The staff were great. The price is good, especially if you are staying for an extended time.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Helen3333
MarieLoevenbruck, Manager at Residence Inn Montreal Westmount, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Helen3333,

Thank you for rating us 5/5 on Trip Advisor! It was a pleasure to read your comments. As stated in your review, our hotel is perfect for extended stays: all of our rooms come with fully-equipped kitchens, helping you make your stay with us a little more cost effective and convenient. We hope to welcome you back in Montreal real soon!

Dieppe, New Brunswick, Canada
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I stayed at this hotel several times over the past 5 years. While they have been renovating, if you are used to modern conveniences like fast elevators, new appliances and open concept living, then you will be in for a bit of a surprise. If you are familiar with Montreal, you might be a little less shocked. The parking is terrible~ there is not a lot available and it is costly, at $20 a day. The staff is great though, and while the price used to be very good, it has jumped recently. The bottom line is that it is clean and the staff is friendly. The free breakfast and managers special are good. There is a small pool on the top floor, with a fantastic view of Montreal, but no hot tub, but be prepared to wait awhile for the elevator to get you there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Evelyn W
Dear Evelyn W,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing the Residence Inn Montreal Westmount. Guests feedback is very important to us especially from returning guests. We look forward to welcoming you again in Montreal.

dartmouth , nova scotia , canada
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I stayed two nights at this hotel and it was fairly nice for the price. The rooms were clean, its a fairly good location and there is a breakfast included. I had rented van that I had to park a couple blocks away which was a bit of an inconvenience but I do beleive they had underground parking for cars.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear wellsey60,

Thank you for your review, we are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us! Our breakfast is appreciated by our guests and our location, is very convenient for those who want to explore the city. We do have an underground parking unfortunately it has a maximum clearance of 5’6’’which limits the type of vehicles it can accommodate (the information is displayed on our official website). There is an outdoor lot located close to the hotel that we recommend or taller vehicles. Thank you for providing your comments, they allow us to service our guests better. We hope to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here a weekend in August 2013. Rooms were nice and clean. Staff was friendly and attentive. If you needed an extra blanket someone would bring it to you 5 minutes top. Free breakfast tasted like free food!! Lol!! Area close to main road full of shops, restaurants, 24 hour grocery and metro. The gym is nice and the pool water is warm. sauna works enjoy the nice feature. Would stay again. Worth your money!!

• Stayed August 2013
MarieLoevenbruck, Manager at Residence Inn Montreal Westmount, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Abczy,

We are glad you did enjoy your stay with us.

The Residence Inn Westmount is indeed ideally located in Montreal and we want to thank you for your nice words regarding the staff and the general ambiance the hotel has provided.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back soonest.