“How Do I Loathe Thee?”

Ranked #71 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
USA
“How Do I Loathe Thee?”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Residence Inn Montreal Westmount …
How do I loathe thee? Let me count the ways …

1. Elevator. There are two very small elevators. They are already slow moving and old to begin with. Add the factor that this hotel has more than ten floors and the typical guests are families. It took us over 20 minutes waiting for an elevator to land on the 11th floor. It didn't. I meant it did not land on our floor at all! So along with our suitcases and shopping bags, we made the descent to the lobby using the fire exit stairs which were, of course, quite filthy. Guests from other floors were doing the same thing and so now we had a bit of a congestion.

Here is the funny part about this experience: the staff knows guests are using the stairs! In fact, if you stay long enough in the lobby, you will hear guests asking how to get back to their rooms when they use the stairs.

Once we were at the lobby, now this is the hard part: taking another set of stairs to the 4th floor of the garage where the car is parked. If we had used the elevator, we would be waiting until the cows came home and the elevator would still be stuck someplace else.

2. Lobby. It reminded me of a staging area with temporary but, in all honesty, a permanent curtain to hide God knows what. It’s like when you have a hole on a wall and you want to hide it quick, easy, and cheap by moving a piece of furniture right where the hole is located. In this hotel, there is a red (burgundy?) set of drapes that is the center of the small lobby. It surrounds a little island on this floor. Then there is a poster that looked kind of what my kids used to turn in for their homework: a poster board with cutouts pasted on for display … I am not making this up! The poster tells the guests who is having an event in that hotel.

3. Front Desk. There is room for perhaps two people behind this counter. That’s not the issue. The problem is when you want to call them from your room, it takes them about the same time as it takes one of the elevators to arrive! In fact, I had to call the 800# for Marriott to ask my questions because that was the only way I could get through anyone from the hotel and never mind about going downstairs to ask them in person … the elevators … sigh!

4. Housekeeping. I am one of those guests who easily gets grossed out. Even writing about it days after still gives me the willies. There was a hair on the toilet lid and all over the tub. Yuck, double yuck!!!

The pillows smelled of someone’s sweaty, Axe-gelled head or Aqua Velva-spitzed face. The fitted sheet was half a size too small as it begged for more room on the edges. It was inside out too! I am not all that great as a homemaker but even I can put a fitted sheet the right way!

I did not walk barefoot on the carpeted floor. Listen, if the bathroom is dirty, whatcha think about the floor???

5. Thermostat. I see that some folks at Tripadvisor complained about how cold it was in their rooms in the winter. Well, we didn't have that problem. We were very warm and toasty … on July 5, 2013. Our room thermostat was set at 73 degrees. It felt like it was 76. No problem, I thought. We’ll lower it to 70 degrees, I told my husband. An hour later, it was still 73 degrees. I was so frustrated at this point that I lowered it to 40 degrees. It was an exercise in futility and, at this point, awful-hotel-induced madness. The thermostat was a PROP. It mocked you and told you what the hotel wants you to feel. The controls were duds.

6. Odor. Did you ever walk into a room or a house and felt a wall of odor that was all too familiar but you couldn't recall what it was? You just knew that you felt a momentary recoil action whether it’s because of an over perfumed matron, a cigar smoking don, or your dirty cat litter. The feeling is the same and, thankfully, it was subtle enough in our room that it grew on us. It was nothing our nasal passages couldn't handle.

7. Room. We heard every creak, every turn of the door knob, every pitter patter, every door slam, every laughter, every whisper, and every “We are from America! Yes, we can drink here legally!” The balconies made sure those Canadian and American youths could socialize and perhaps meet later on to drink their hearts out. A kind of catharsis for the under-21 year old college kids from our border. Hey, good for them! They were having a great time and it isn't their fault that Marriott renovated this hotel on the cheap with zero sound proofing.

8. Parking. Other than the parking elevator problem (yep, that elevator again), this was fine for us ONLY because we brought our 4-door sedan. We usually take our SUV for long commutes but we decided at the last minute to drive our sedan. If we had not done that, our SUV would have been parked elsewhere. In other words, NO PARKING for big American trucks and vans. Zilch. Nada. You are on your own. But the bright side is you won’t have to deal with that pesky elevator!

9. Breakfast. I refused to eat at this hotel. In fact, except for drinking from my own water bottle, I didn't even eat my own pastries that I bought that day. I could not stomach eating in a place that I had categorized in my brain as a filth hole. It is just me. My own idiosyncrasy. My husband figured the breakfast was part of our hotel stay, we paid for it, to all intents and purposes. So he went to the breakfast lounge and grabbed some food and ate it in our room. It was the usual fare: scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and dry toast. I asked him how it was and he replied with one corner of his upper lip upturned and his eyes rolled up. In other words, don’t ask.

10. View. When we checked in, we were asked if we wanted the city view or the mountain view. I was, to say the least, stumped. Wow! Usually we have to beg for A view. So I asked the front desk lady to pick one for us. She said the better one is a mountain view. Oh yeah! We saw the peak of a hill (alright, so maybe it was a mountain) but most of our view was of an alley and a big apartment building that probably HAS the real mountain view! Location, location, location! At least we got the better view!

11. Location. Many on this website say this place has a great location, that it is central. Yes, central to a residential neighborhood. We were on a very short vacation and wanted the feel of being on vacation. The location didn't give us that feeling.

12. Building. It is old. I love old. In fact, two of my favorite Marriott hotels are in very old buildings: the Marriott London County Hall and Marriott Paris. Old doesn't have to mean dilapidated. Old doesn't have to mean a slap together kind of wall papering or paint job. Old doesn't have to mean using the same tiles in the bathrooms and layout in the rooms or using the same ELEVATORS!!! I do not believe those elevators have any historical value. Give them up! Yes, it’s those elevators again. Hey, try dragging your suitcases from the 11th floor down to the lobby then back to the 4th floor parking garage again!

13. Rate. We didn't stay at the Residence Inn because we are bargain hunters. Far from it. We are willing to pay extra for a standard that we are used to. The rate was NOT cheap at all. It was almost $250 for one night. In fact, we could have stayed at the full service Marriott in Montreal for less! We always stay at a Residence Inn if it meets the following: must be at least a one bedroom suite and must have been renovated or built before 2010. Those two usually gives us a level of confidence that we would be staying in a hotel that meets our expectations. We thought that the fact that this particular Residence Inn was renovated in 2012, that it was charging about the same as the Marriott Chateau Champlain (a AAA/CAA four-diamond hotel) AND that there were so many glowing reviews by TripAdvisor guests that, hey, how could we go wrong with this one?!?

These are the ways we loathed this hotel. We had no choice but to sleep there that one night. We checked in really late, almost at midnight. But we checked out the very next day and checked in at the Marriott Chateau Champlain. This Marriott had FIVE FAST elevators!!! Never did a hotel elevator figure in so much to our stay that I, in fact, found myself counting the seconds from the moment I hit the up or down button to the time I heard the musical ding of an elevator opening on our floor. 18 seconds was the longest time. Residence Inn Montreal Westmount folks, I hope you are reading this. I want our money back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank WanderingAmerican
MarieLoevenbruck, Manager at Residence Inn Montreal Westmount, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear WanderingAmerican,

First of all we would like to thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. We are truly sorry our accommodation & service weren't to your satisfaction, as it is in our standards to provide every of our guest with an experience above expectation. Your review has been forwarded to the heads of department involved, who will take the appropriate measures.Given your remarks, we kindly invite you to contact us directly via the contact section of our website.

The Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Korean first
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 5, 2013

After reading the reviews we thought we would try the hotel anyways. I made reservations for 3 people requesting 2 beds . I was told at check in it was for one bed, thinking ok will must have a pull out sofa when we got to the room the room was supposed to be an upgrade since I am platinum elite . No pull -out sofa when I went back down to see about getting another room I was charged about $50 to upgrade.
The elevator is slow and small. The hotel is in dire need of a complete renovation . The faucets in the tub were missed labeled. The air conditioning was horrible. The bed room would never cool down and the sitting room would freeze you to death. The internet was so slow to took forever to download or open a page , could not connect with VPN.
Family use the pool , and found broken glass on the balcony .
Parking it almost a joke, if your vehicle is over 5’6’’ you are not allowed in the garage.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SN1960
MarieLoevenbruck, Manager at Residence Inn Montreal Westmount, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear SN1960,
Thank you for providing us with your feedback about your recent stay at the Residence Inn Westmount. We are truly sorry to read that our service & accommodations were not to your satisfaction. Rest assured your comment has been taken seriously and the concerned department heads were informed in order to avoid such situation on the future.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 2, 2013

You are about a 1 min walk from Rue Sherbrooke/Rue Ste. Catherine, 2 min walk away from the metro station, a 10 min walk away from museum row. There is an IGA supermarket in the mall at Atwater station so you can buy what you need to cook in the kitchen.

The suite itself is clean, and well-maintained. Everything in the kitchen was clean and worked properly. There is also pretty much everything you might need to cook a meal, although it's not very spacious.

The bathroom was also clean, but the drain in the shower was a bit slow. Shower water pressure was excellent.

Most importantly, despite it's convenient location - it was QUIET. Although most of Montreal is pretty quiet compared to any other major metropolitan city, this property is in a very residential area, away from the main traffic thoroughfares and we heard NOTHING at night.

There is also a sauna, pool & gym on the PH floor. Pool is only 4' deep and not large enough to do laps. Everything here also well maintained.

Breakfast is plentiful, although the eggs were rather dry. Wifi worked flawlessly.

On top of which, Marie-Claire & Maksym at the front desk are probably the most helpful and cheerful people we have ever encountered in all our travels anywhere in the world.

The only reason we did not give it an excellent rating is because there are a lot of younger people and families, and the property itself could probably use a bit of a face lift here and there soon. It's not luxury, but it's really all you need.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MarieLoevenbruck, Manager at Residence Inn Montreal Westmount, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Wanderkinder,

Thanks for your nice review! It's a true pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Residence Inn Montreal - Westmount! As you mention, we are located in a very quiet area which is close to everything though: metro station, crescent street, AMC Cinemas, Fine Arts museum, Alexis Nihon shopping centre...We will be very happy to forward your review to Marie-Claude and Maksym, and look forward to welcoming you again in the future!

Strong, Maine
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I recently stayed here on a business trip to Montreal. I found the place typical of many downtown hotels. A little faded once you get past the lobby but generally clean and reasonably well maintained. The room was neat and clean if a little sparse. It had a small well equipped kitchenette in the room which I did not get the chance to use.
Breakfast buffet was included with the room and it was well stocked. One nice thing about this place is that it is located a few blocks from the Cresent Street area which has a lot of great shops and restaurants. on tip is not to use American $ at the lobby store - the exchange/discount rate is horrendous - go find a local ATM

I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelBoy53
Mays Landing, New Jersey
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My family & I stayed overnight & had a great experience. Arrived at 10 a.m. & was able to get a room right away. Staff was accommodating, being a tourist in Montreal, they answered our questions regarding the sightseeing tour bus, restaurant recommendations etc. Room was clean, although small but it being in downtown I understand that space is limited. Wi-Fi was free and fast. Breakfast was delicious & offered a variety of choices. Pool was nice but no hot tub but there was a sauna. Gym was bigger than most. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
MarieLoevenbruck, Manager at Residence Inn Montreal Westmount, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Erm106,

Thank you for your nice review! We are happy to read you enjoyed your stay at the Residence Inn Montreal - Westmount and look forward to welcoming you again in the future!

New Paltz, New York
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

Great location, nice rooms, great breakfast (our kids loved the waffle maker), excellent value. Only a very short walk to downtown and to the mont royal parks, well connected to the metro and other public transportation

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank danisf01
MarieLoevenbruck, Manager at Residence Inn Montreal Westmount, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Danisf01,

Thank you for posting your feedback about the Residence Inn Westmount on Trip Advisor! It has been a true pleasure to read your review. Come back to see us soon!

The Management.
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed here for a night using a free night certificate I earned from a Marriott promo as this is the only Marriott property in the downtown area that I could use it at.

I came in here with rather low expectations but was rather surprised. Those expecting the Ritz will be disappointed but I would still rate this place as being somewhat better than the Chateau Champlain.

This is a 1970's converted apartment building that's had some renovations, but it does still show its age in some places. However, not quite to the extent that the Chateau Champlain does.

The location is *slightly* away from the touristy areas but you've got the Atwater metro just a few minutes walk away. The area has lots of restaurants and grocery stores so finding food isn't an issue. The slightly 'out of the way' location means that this place will usually cost far less than the other Residence Inn.

I was upgraded from the tiny studio I'd booked to a 1 bedroom suite with a queen bed (1910) because I'm a Platinum member.

It had a decent living/dining area, full kitchen, separate bedroom, and an adequately sized (albeit rather old) bathroom.

Cleanliness was satisfactory but not 100% perfect as there were a few small black hairs on the bathroom floor. Perhaps this hotel should invest in hairnets for their housekeepers. No biggie though.

I liked the kitchen as it was very well decorated and not to mention very functional. I particularly liked the microwave/convection oven combination, which worked just as well as a regular oven and I was able to churn out a very good baked pasta given the limited cooking supplies, including an oven safe frying pan. Smart!

The pool was smallish but rather deep at 7 feet considering its on the 21st floor of a building! Decent temperature too.

There are only 2 elevators here and it seems that during the day the cleaning ladies take one of them over, which means a long trip down if you're on a higher floor. Sorta made me wish I'd asked for a low floor ie 3 or 4 so as to be able to use the stairs.

Service was very attentive.

Breakfast was very good. There was something for just about anyone!

Would I return? Yes!