“Wonderful experience all round...except for a fish issue”

BEVO Bar + Pizzeria
Reserve with OpenTable
BEVO Bar + Pizzeria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #74 of 5,710 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Italian, Bar, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Cross street: Saint-Paul East and Saint-Amable
Transit: Metro: Place d'Armes - Bus: 55 or 80
Description: A favorite among Old Montreal diners, BEVO Bar + Pizzeria boasts fine Italian cooking, original cocktails and a fresh ambiance nightly. Seven days a week, Chef Giovanni Vella cooks up traditional flavours with a few signature twists. His specialty: authentic, wood-fired pizzas. Two expansive floors, a fully-stocked bar, convenient seating and a DJ every Thursday through Saturday keep things lively until the wee early hours. And during summer, take advantage of its terrace, which sits right on Saint-Vincent Street-a pedestrian stretch bustling with friendly locals and artists.
Connecticut
“Wonderful experience all round...except for a fish issue”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

We booked a table via Open Table for a Friday early evening dinner last weekend for 6 - children and adults and had a lovely table inside. Montreal was bursting at the seams last weekend and Old Montreal, in particular, was hectic so it was nice to get a table where you didn't feel like you were sitting with the entire population of the city. There is an exterior patio to the restaurant which is nice, but I actually much preferred the interior which is really attractive and stylish and brick/iron style.

The restaurant itself is really lovely. It doesn't have any element of 'trying too hard' or touristy, but is smart and relaxed at the same time. They have got the ambience just right! It seems to cater to businessmen, regulars and locals just as much as tourists, which is always a plus! Our waiter was great and very accommodating. We had one lousy French speaker in the party (me) and I was trying to teach the children their basic dinner time French. Our waiter was very patient with them and was pleased to see them trying their best! He was a great combination of good with adults and children. He was attentive but didn't 'hang around' or rush us and that's always a great quality in a waiter .

By our table, at some point during the evening, a chef came out with an old-fashioned meat slicer and was busy slicing salamis, dried hams, etc. It wasn't for show, he was doing it as part of his daily work but it was lovely to see him prepare the food.

There was a large choice of local beers and a large wine menu. I had a couple of martinis just the way I wanted them - nice and COLD.... My husband had a couple of local beers and a glass of wine which he enjoyed. Try the local beers whilst you are there, no need to bother with the US or European-generics.

Of our party of six - 3 had pizza, one had a pasta dish, one had stuffed roast chicken and I had fish. The pizzas were delicious (yes, I did steal some of each!) - very fresh with tasty mozzarella and a great crust; the chicken was absolutely fantastic - with a great balance between the herbs used and the chicken. It was a very large piece of chicken on the bone and cooked perfectly. The pasta eater loved her dish (so much so that I didn't get chance to eat any) and my fish dish (though very small) was tasty. However, I felt there was too much emphasis on the asparagus as the vegetable which, for some reason, didn't work with the salsa that came with the fish.

Some in the party had dessert and I was told by one of them that the Tiramisu was wonderful but incredibly alcohol soaked.

Unfortunately there was something funky with the fish that I didn't know until I got back to the hotel and got quite sick and my tummy is still unwell at time of typing (4 days' later). I can't fault the restaurant per se because I know that fish can be compromised on occasion but it won't be apparent to the chefs at the time of preparation. Had I realized at time of eating, I would have certainly mentioned it. However, this just put a dampener on the entire night for me as it was our first night in Montreal. No,one else tried the fish and so they were all fine.

Bill came to $260 which was pricey, but despite the fish hiccup - I will definitely go again when we return to Montreal for our next visit. Next time I will definitely order the pizza though because it really was delish!

• Visited August 2014

Montreal, Canada
“Great!”
Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

Our group went to Bevo for a bachelorette party and the ambiance was perfect. We were on the second floor. Our waiter was the greatest. My food was delicious ( I had pizza) but not everyone enjoyed their food. The drinks were also good.

The location (Old Montreal) is also fantastic.

Sechelt, Canada
“Yummy food!”
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Went to Bevo last week for dinner with some colleagues and glad I did. Even happier that we were able to sit outside in such a great area of old Montreal. There were plenty of choices for my vegetarian palate and all I tasted was excellent. A friend and I split an olive appetizer,an arugula and Parmesan salad and a caprese pizza and we had more than enough. Simple, fresh and good is what comes to mind. The severs were absolutely delightful... I would definitely go there again.

1 Thank Joh_Joh_Bean
Hobart, Australia
“Delicious in both atmosphere and taste”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

First meal we had upon arriving into Montreal and it met and exceeded expectations. The food was delicious and served on time, the service was very high quality and friendly, and the highlight would have to be the pleasure of sitting outdoors by the street on a beautiful summer's evening.

Montreal, Canada
“Intense ambiance, excellent food !”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

This restaurant has a terrace on St-Vincent street and the ambiance inside is great. But nothing is more important to us (after the food) than an excellent service from a nice and very polite and effective waitress (could be waiter). Thanks again Cynthia.