“A Taste of Europe...in Canada”

Le Meridien Versailles
Ranked #68 of 166 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed November 13, 2013

In Montreal, my hotel of choice is Le Meridien Versailles, located on Rue Sherbrooke, just a few blocks from Rue Sainte-Catherine, one of the main commercial streets in the city. It has easily become my home away from home with most of the credit clearly belonging to the hotel staff, from those who work at the front desk, to housekeeping, to the valet, Robert. The hotel's location is ideal as it's a few short blocks from one of the 747 Bus' predetermined stops, although please note, the walk from that stop is uphill. As you travel southeast from the hotel's entrance, you will find yourself in a charming residential area, perfect for an early morning stroll; northeast along Sherbrooke, you will discover Ô Plaisirs Gourmands, the ideal place for coffee and pastries. Beyond that is the Musée des Beaux-Arts Montreal and the entrance to McGill University. One of Guy Concordia's metro station's two entrances is right around the corner from Le Meridien on Rue Saint Mathieu.

During the month of November, the hotel was in the final stages of a major renovation project on its guest rooms, not a small task as the effort involved more than simply replacing fabrics and furniture. In some rooms in fact, depending on the tier, they completely reconfigured the space. It is an effort which has paid off handsomely. Contemporary carpeting, furniture, fabrics, lighting fixtures and wallpaper, along with a muted but sophisticated color palette, have given the hotel's guest rooms a brand new look.

One of the room's features I appreciated the most was the extra-large desk which nearly took up an entire wall. It had plenty of surface area for a laptop, multiple electrical outlets, and ample drawer and storage space. Although the work space featured ambient light from the adjacent large windows, it also had an LED desk lamp. Ridiculously slim, it gave off excellent but cool light. The accompanying chair was unbelievably comfortable and whoever decided to mount the flat screen television directly above the desk clearly knew what they were doing. I liked the fact I could work and have the TV on right in front of me.

As you would expect from Le Meridien's parent, Starwood, which also owns the Loft, Westin and W imprints, the new bed and bath linens are excellent. And the designers behind this renovation struck the perfect but careful balance between the needs of the business traveler and those traveling on holiday while also ensuring just the right amount of the cool factor was present. On the bathroom mirror, for example, the flight schedule of Air France's Paris-to-Montreal route ingeniously appears in vertical fashion.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the front of the hotel or the side along St. Mathieu are best.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
SandieLeMeridien, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien Versailles, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your fantastic rreview of your experience with us! We are always pleased to welcome you to our property. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms! We love to hear the feedback about them since we want to be able to accomodate all our guests!I will be sure to pass along all the kind words towards all associates! We do hope that once you come back all our renovations will be completed and you will be able to experience a whole new journey with us! Again, thank you very much for the fgreat review and fantastic feedback about your journey. We look forward to welcoming you back ( as always!!!)

Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Hotel was surprisingly down at the heels for a Meridien property. Slightly grubby, terrible sound-proofing in the rooms. Location was very good and staff were very nice. Overall a mediocre experience.

• Stayed: November 2013
SandieLeMeridien, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien Versailles, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback about your experience with us. I am glad to see that you found our associates accommodating during your journey with us. Good news! We are in the process of undergoing renovations at the moment! We will have all the guest rooms completed first and after that the entrance/lobby will be done as well. At the moment only about 4 floors have been completed, but all rooms to be completed in 2014. I do hope you will return to us once all renovations have been completed! Again I would like to thank you for taking the time you leave us your feedback!

Reviewed October 28, 2013

We parked the car where the staff told us to park. We gave the staff our keys so the valet could park the car. Twenty minutes later the car was parked in their alley-like lot with video surveillance. It was on the street, locked but unattended, for 20 minutes. Conveniently it was burgled then. A suitcase, a laptop with Lodis bag and a travel tote were stolen.

It is interesting that our belongings were taken while the car was the one place the hotel did not have video surveillance. What are the chances anyone besides hotel staff is aware of this inconsistency? The hotel does not believe it has any responsibility for our car or possessions even while they are in possession of our keys.

Avoid this hotel.

If for some reason you absolutely must stay here take everything you own with you. No bellman is evident so you will schelp it all yourself. However, you will still own it.

The beds are comfortable. Staff, other than management, is quite friendly and helpful. Be advised, though, hotel policy does not include making you happy.

Look for my other reviews for this hotel wherever you look for accommodations.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank brendastocktonhiss
SandieLeMeridien, General Manager at Le Meridien Versailles, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear Guest,

We apologized for the inconvenience that was caused to you during your arrival to the hotel, in our defence your car was left unlocked , unattended on a city street in the late night hours for which there are no cameras. It is unfortunate that in a Metropolitan city, occurrences such as these do occur. Our associates reacted in a timely manner to ensure that your car was moved with the 15minute period. Unfortunately the above situation happened prior to the parking of your vehicle.
Please note that our staff and management have tried to reach out to you to find a amicable compromise, as we do not intend for any of our guests to suffer an experience such as yours.
We are at your disposal to discuss further.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

I was in town for a business conference and couldn't stay at the conference hotel; found the Le Meridien on Expedia. My room was really dated; I felt like I was in the 80's and that's being generous. The staff; absolutely amazing! Door man attentive and recognized me after the second day and the front desk staff always smiling asking how things were going. I went out for a late night walk and even the night people were super friendly (not the case I normally find). I hope they spruce up the place and next time I'm in town I may just choose to stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank CanadianMom125
SandieLeMeridien, Public Relations Manager at Le Meridien Versailles, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback! I would like to inform you that we are in fact undergoing renovations at the moment! We have completed 4 floors and will continue onto the next levels! After all rooms are completed the lobby entrance will also be renovated! I do hope you will return in the future to be able to experience our new rooms!

I would like to also thank you for your very kind word towards all our associates! They take great pride in their work. I will be sure to pass along all notes!

Again thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback!

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Great hotel in a great location, hotel is under renovation so beware if you do not have a renovated room it is a bit drab. Once the place is done this is a gem. The gym is non-existent . restaurant is nice. Staff is warm and friendly !!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
SandieLeMeridien, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien Versailles, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your very kind review! We are in fact undergoing renovations and are hoping they will be completed soon! We would love for all our guests to be able to experience our new rooms! Also thank you for taking the time to write such nice things about our associates! I do look forward to welcoming you back in the future (and hopefully into one of our newly renovated rooms!).

Reviewed October 19, 2013

I stayed at this hotel a few years ago and like my stay. I like the area and easy to walk to many shops and restaurants. What I did not know when I booked was that they have been busy with renovations. They got it right! I loved my room very fresh and appealing. Bed and bedding was exceptional. Staff very helpful and friendly. Even a crystal ball chandelier in my room! Check it out you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
SandieLeMeridien, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien Versailles, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words towards our hotel and associates! I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms! We have certainly come along way with them! The crystal ball in the rooms really adds to the chic style we are aiming for! Again thank you so much for your great feedback, and we cant wait to welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed October 6, 2013

OK it would have gotten one star except the staff is wonderful...The Hotel is worn out..The rooms are small and they only have valet parking for $27.00 per night. I would expect this kind of room at a Day's Inn but ugh this place is really a poor excuse for a 4 star hotel. Lots of other hotels in as good or better location for a lot less money...Only stayed here because our booked hotel water supply broke so they moved us here. Our previous 3 star hotel DuFort was far superior but now is closing for good. The hallways are narrow and ours was substantially blocked by a roll-away bed...So far for only about 6 hours but no movement is apparent for now.

Room Tip: They may have better rooms but we never saw one.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank begoldbelair
SandieLeMeridien, General Manager at Le Meridien Versailles, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

I apologize that the rooms were not up to par. I would like to inform you that the hotel is in fact going through a complete renovations including all rooms and public areas. I can assure you that our property will look completely different and up to brand standards. In terms of the issue you encountered with the cot, I do apologize for the inconvenience. I have informed the department head about the matter and she is dealing with it in the appropriate fashion to ensure it does not arise again. We thank you again for sharing your feedback.

Sandie Moran