“Both Fantastic and Disappointing” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Gault

Hotel Gault
Ranked #3 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Bloomington, Indiana
“Both Fantastic and Disappointing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

My husband and I spent 4 nights in the Apartment Deluxe for our 10th anniversary and this is the most challenging review I've yet to write for TripAdvisor.

Much of the experience was fantastic (5 dots): Hotel and room aesthetics, staff, comfort of couch and bed, linens, towels, shower, tub, location, food, lattes, soap, architecture and design magazines in room, art throughout hotel, valet parking.

But... for the cost of the room, there were disappointments that made me rate it lower (2 dots). No room service dessert the night we tried to order it (biggest letdown!). Only one phone (by bed) in big apartment, and no way to get to it from living area before room service hung up (or switched to voice mail). No instructions on how to retrieve phone messages in writing (in English) - only verbal instructions in French via the phone.... still not sure what the message said!. No instructions on how to use the 4 remotes for entertainment service; Staff offered to come and show us how to use, but we really didn't want to have to deal with that.... my hubby (a remote whiz) finally got it going. No microwave (even though the hotel website says the apartments come with one. I waffled between 3 & 4 dots (avg/vg) because of these dichotomies.

Items of note that I didn't factor into the review, but may be of interest to others.
- There was a fridge and a stovetop, but no utensils or pots/pans/dishes. This wasn't huge deal to us, but strange for 'apartment'.
- I'm a morning coffee drinker & there is no coffeemaker - I inquired before booking and when it knowing this, but having one would have made me a happier morning person. The room service was VG in the morning, but still some delay before caffeine arrived.
- The cool wooden door diving the sleeping area from the bathroom wouldn't close... at least not with the amt of effort I was willing to try. Reported this when we checked out, so hopefully they have it repaired. Meant no way to wash hands / brush teeth without disturbing sleeping spouse.
- The pocket door to the WC 'clanked' when it was opened. Again, reported when we checked out.
- Overall layout of the apartment didn't allow for total separation from living+dining and sleeping. If one person is early riser (that would be me), no way to listen to TV or music without sound carrying into bedroom area.
- For such a large apt, there was very little drawer space to unpack.... did have good hanging apace. (Okay, I get up early, drink too much coffee, and overpack!)

Overall we had a fantastic time, but it wasn't quite perfect (I really wanted that dessert!)

Room Tip: See notes in review about layout of Apartment Deluxe. It had lots of great windows & was quiet...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Location
1 Thank RAA339
Amir-Bakir, Front Office Assistant Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Dear guest,

We really appreciate your constructive feedback.

First of all, we want to thank you for the very positive comments regarding the look, design of the hotel and the staff. As the hotel industry is always evolving, we strongly believe it is important to remain trendy and visually interesting.

Most importantly, I really enjiyed reading your analysis about your recent experience with us. Your feedback definitely points out the elements that need to be worked on. We are in the process of implementing in room coffee makers and travellers like yourself surely help our project to move forward.

Regarding the desserts, please let me know when you plan to visiting us the next time at abakir@hotelgault.com and I promise to have them ready for you upon your arrival.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Front Office Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

My mother-in-law recently turned 65, and we decided to celebrate with a meal at the charming, intimate restaurant in the hotel. It was a meal that I will never forget! The chef took the time to bring out each of the 6 courses personally and tell us about each one. They were all fantastic, but my favorite might have been the mushroom ravioli with scallops or the foie gras crostini with truffle in the center. I really can't say enough about the food, and I would definitely recommend people staying at this hotel to try the food here.

Room Tip: Try the restaurant!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sarah M, Front Office Assistant Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel Gault.

I am thrilled to read that you had an enchanted dining experience at the Gault restaurant and that our chef succeeded to make it a memorable one. I have passed on your comments to our associated and they were very proud to receive the feedback.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in a near future.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

My daughter and I have snuck away to Montréal and the Hotel Gault every year for more than 10 years. This is a lovely and immaculately clean and comfortable hotel on a quiet street near the Metro, just steps from an excellent shopping district, the science museum, and other Vieux-Montréal attractions. The staff is exceedingly friendly and helpful and the minimalist rooms are well-appointed and beautiful. Over the years, we have noticed a little bit of roughness around the edges: the breakfast, though very good, is less sumptuous (and no longer included in the room rate); the DVD players are aging and there's no other way to watch movies on demand in one's room; the room service menu is very limited; it's a bit of a pain to get a decent cup of coffee. Still, we wouldn't stay anywhere else, and we recommend it highly.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sarah M, Front Office Assistant Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your recent experience at Hotel Gault.

I am delighted to read that our attentive staff, along the cleanliness and comfort of the rooms, and our aproximity to Montréals top destinations, all worked in harmony to provide you with an impeccable stay.

Moreovere, I really appreciate you providing us with feedback - This is how we get better! I have passed along your comments to the team, and we are addressing them.

Again, thank you for your loyalty. We cannot wait to welcoming you back on your next visit!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

Absolutely perfect hotel for a romantic getaway. Guys, if you want to impress your lady, stay here. The staff was incredible, took care of every small detail, and truly went the extra mile. I took my girlfriend here for her birthday for the weekend, and when we saw the hotel from the outside she started to cry. Then when we got to our room, with its modern design and beautiful flower covered terrace, she cried even more. I proposed to her later that night on the terrace, and it was absolutely perfect. The manager brought us champagne the next morning to celebrate.

Incredible experience, can not say enough. Thank you Hotel Gault. We will absolutely be back someday.

Room Tip: fifth (top) floor rooms have a very romantic walk out terrace.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Mark S
Sarah M, Front Office Assistant Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Hotel Gault.

We pride ourselves in providing constant high-end personalized service; your testimony is well appreciated. We were thrilled to learn that our level of service is moving in the right direction as we constantly look for opportunities to improve ourselves and exeed expectations.

Thank you again for this glowing review. On behalf of the entire team, we wish you a joyful and a blessed life with your beautiful bride and We look forward to welcoming you back on your next romanitc getaway!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

I sincerely highly rate this hotel property. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The hotel is unique, clean, quiet, well staffed in a great location. I would definitely recommend this hotel to all and would go back.

This hotel went out of their way to make our stay very comfortable, enjoyable and memorable!

Room Tip: Our room was on the first floor up and one of the smaller rooms (I believe). It had all that we need...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sarah M, Front Office Assistant Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Dear guest,

I am very pleased to read that our team members went above and beyond to make your stay memorable! Thank you again for your thoughtful review.

It would be an absolute pleasure to welcome you back and I hope to see you again soon!

Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

We loved the Hotel Gault. We were a family traveling together and stayed here for several days. We had three rooms, and upon check-in (late at night, but they were ready and waiting for us, and there were cookies waiting us for us in our rooms) two of three rooms were upgraded, which was a nice treat. The rooms were spacious, well designed, and had nice amenities (the only thing missing was an in-room coffee maker -- a Nespresso in my room would have made it practically perfect). We loved the Molton Brown products, the slippers and turn-down service, and the free WIFI. The decor is modern in an old building, and the service is wonderful. Everyone was kind, helpful and did everything they could to make our stay great. We had breakfast many mornings in the lobby, and it was very good and well-priced. We were tourists, and the location made it easy to walk virtually everywhere we wanted to go and also access the subway. Overall, we would return here in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Corner rooms were airy and spacious; "suite" was just a larger room with more windows, tho...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sarah M, Front Office Assistant Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Hotel Gault.

I am thrilled to read that you had memorable stay with us. Your feedback and kind words keeps us dedicated towards seeking perfection. I will pass along your thoughtful review to the entire team.

I look forward to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in a near future!

New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

Absolutely loved this place. The service was incredible! Everyone was so nice. We checked in around midnight and the guy at the desk was so sweet to us, helped us unload the car and parked it for us. He was very sweet to our dogs which I loved. We ordered room service (which they had all night) and it was sooooo yummy. Best caeser salad I've ever had. Also, there was a delicious cookie in our room. The room was clean and the bed was so comfy. The hotel is in this beautiful old building but it is very modern on the inside. We sadly had to leave the next day but our room service breakfast was also super yummy and again, the service was amazing. I will absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
      Cleanliness
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience at Hotel Gault.

I greatly appreciated reading this glowing review of our hotel. It is always a great source of motivation for all our team members and I will without doubt share your outstanding comments with all the departments.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Montéal.