“The old is new... and cool.”
Review of Hotel Gault

Hotel Gault
Ranked #3 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Portland, Oregon
“The old is new... and cool.”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

This beautifully renovated boutique hotel facade fits seamless in the quaint Old Montreal area. Inside, sleek concrete, tasteful modern furniture and photographs provide a modern and relaxing environment to enjoy a cocktail in the lobby restaurant/bar or library. Our room was a beautifully appointed studio, with many design features, extremely efficiently laid out so that everything you could want was there while still feeling open and spacious. The heated bathroom floors were lovely. The hotel staff were always amazingly friendly and helpful. The location is fantastic: right on the edge of old Montreal, easy access to downtown and the old Port. Several great cafes within blocks. I look forward to returning!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TM E
Sarah M, Front Office Assistant Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review on TripAdvisor. We are proud to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us while the décor and furniture were all to your likening as well as our hotel convenient location.

We strive on guests' satisfaction and your feedback is greatly appreciated. It is a real pleasure to read your extremelt kind comments about our team and facilities.

Once again, thank you for choosing the Hotel Gault and we cannot wait to welcome you back!

Front Office Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 16, 2014

We experienced excellent service at a small hotel in Old Montreal with a modern feel.

The staff at Hotel Gault were always happy to help out in any way they could. They were quick to answer any questions I had. Even with weird or silly questions I had, they were there to answer all my questions. They were even helpful when we called them while we were out trying to find a restaurant they had suggested (It was an excellent suggestion, by the way). I don't really know what to say other than that they gave us great service. We almost felt like we were the only guests at the hotel, though I'm pretty sure there were other guests at the hotel.

What else can I say? The location was great. It was a short walk to wherever we needed to go. The subway station was close and most of the restaurants and other Old Montreal stuff was close by as well. The hotel also had a cool modern feel. The room was a bit weird at first because it's not your typical hotel room layout. Then again, it's not as if I've been to many hotels in my life. The hotel room also had a heated floor in the bathroom. It was nice, but don't expect anything special because it wasn't super warm or anything. It was just warm enough to notice. Hm... I saw the workout room, but it wasn't much to write about. It was pretty small, but then again, I didn't use it so it didn't really matter to me. The deal we got with our room included a coupon booklet, which we used a lot. Some of the coupons were for places that we were going to visit anyways, so it worked out well.

Before booking the hotel, I chatted online with the hotel staff using their online chat. Unfortunately, it was slow to connect with one of them. However, once I got a hold of them, they were able to answer all the questions that I had.

The mouthwash also wasn't that great. Then again, it was free, so I can't really complain.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Christopher C
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your experience at the Hotel Gault with the TripAdvisor comunity.

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated the service of our team. I am also glad to hear that our Sweet Deal package and the rebate booklet that comes with it met your expectations.

Once again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards

Front Office Assistant Manager
Edina, Minnesota
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Hotel Gault is a 30 room boutique hotel on the edge of Old Montreal. The Hotel is a block from Rue McGill, and very close to Old Montreal streets such as Rue Notre Dame and Rue St. Paul Ouest. The Hotel Gault is also less than a mile from The Bell Centre, and other downtown attractions. Thus the rooms are quite nice, and the location is good, but the best thing about the Hotel Gault is the attention you receive from the front of the house, particularly concierge Yanick Rivest. Each time I have stayed at Hotel Gault he has been extremely helpful with restaurant opinions ( and bookings), ideas for day trips, information on museums etc. I would strongly suggest if you book at the Hotel Gault, that you contact Yanick prior to your arrival and discuss your needs and ideas for your visit. As you would expect he has great knowledge of Montreal, and is a wonderful resource. The Hotel Gault is a very welcoming place.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Dan S
Sarah M, Front Desk Assistant Director at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to take the opportunity to express our gratitude on your review of your recent stay with us at the Hotel Gault.

We are delighted to learn that our location, rooms and staff have given you the warmth of home away from home. I have shared your comment with our concierge Yanick, and he was thrilled to know that he was able to make your stay convenient and memorable.

Front Desk Assistant Director
Aurora, Illinois
Reviewed May 6, 2014

We stayed here with 9 of our top sales reps and their partners. The trip was a great success and the Hotel Gault was a huge part of it. Everyone on staff went out of their way to make all of us feel like VIP's. The hotel is a close walk to almost everything, the rooms are comfortable and the food in the restaurant was very good. The location is just a little off the main streets so it is quiet and feels very safe and secure. If you need help finding a restaurant or attraction, the concierge, Yanick is top notch. I do these trips all the time and he is far and away the best I have worked with. All of the attendees said this was one of the best, if not the best trip we have done and this is in no small part due to the efforts of Yanick and the rest of the Hotel Gault staff. Next time I am in Montreal, Hotel Gault is where I will stay!

Room Tip: I stayed in two different rooms on separate visits. Both were good, one of our attendees stayed in...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank PRPprez
Sarah M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Hotel Gault. I am very pleased to hear that you and your guests enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated the service of our team, our restaurant, our rooms and also the location of the hotel.

I have passed on your comments to our associates, especially Yanick, and they were very proud to receive such a feedback.

Once again, we thank you for the positive review and we hope to welcome you back in a near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Lovely place to stay in old Montreal. Charming roomy room, quiet, and nicely designed, too. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, especially, when it came to organizing my shuttle to the airport, and making reservations at restaurants. Wonderful place to have called home.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Thomas P
Sarah M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear guest,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff has been a part of provinding you such a great experience! We are looking forward to welcoming you back on your next stay in Montreal!

Kind regards!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Wow --- what a terrible experience! my boyfriend and I arrived in Montreal hoping to find Hotel Gault to be a complete gem-- especially after reading so many positive reviews, but our experience was completely awful.

Before checking in, we drove around the neighborhood to get a feel for the area, and Hotel Gault was about 7 blocks away from the main thick of old Montreal, so not really "walking distance" in frigid temps, but possibly in the summer. This wasn't a big deal for us... we could always hail a cab.

Pulling up to the hotel was quite strange-- and there is no clearly defined area for valet or anything. My boyfriend had to have me pull to the curb so he could go in and ask where the paid parking or valet were; surprisingly my boyfriend and valet guy quickly returned and took care of the car and luggage.

Proceeding to check in (Woo Hoo! Almost home free after 6 hours of driving from Toronto). The woman checks us in -- and clearly she had been there a while -- she explained to us that if we wanted to add an additional night to our stay, she could accommodate us but we couldn't be in the same room due to availability-- Totally cool ~ We only booked one night and paid for the double upgrade to the Deluxe Suite, with the King bed and awesome soaking tub. We figured we would stay one night and add another if we loved it.

This is when it gets bad... The valet guy showed us to our room... room 260. We get to our room and immediately knew something was amiss. The room was not what we had paid for -- it featured a queen sized bed and no tub... My guy, clearly irritated told the valet guy that we paid for an upgrade 2 levels above this room. The valet guy then told us that not all rooms have tubs.... "We know, which is why we paid for a deluxe suite," my boyfriend explained. Anyway, the valet said he would have the front desk call us when he got back downstairs.

The front desk calls and my boyfriend spoke with her and when he complained that this wasn't the room we had paid fo,r she said that this was the only room they had left. Basically we paid an extra $80 or so for an upgrade and they were just going to pocket the cash and put us in a room 2 levels below what we had booked.

I understand that overbooking and double bookings happen, but not telling a patron when they're checking in that the suite they had booked wasn't available; then putting them in whatever lower-level room they had left and would be pocketing the extra cash is just really dishonest. Very bad business ethics.

Needless to say we had to go through a whole debacle with Expedia and cancel our reservation (Which is like a 30 min process, as there are no cancellations or refunds unless there are special circumstances). Midway through the cancellation with Expedia on the phone, the front desk woman calls up and speaks directly to me. She offered a consolation and explained that if we stay in their "standard" room tonight, that her manager has given her clearance to give us this same "standard" room tomorrow for $199 a night ($100 off). No thanks!!

In summary:

#1: What kind of establishment allows a guest to pay for a suite w/ a king bed and soaking tub then puts them in a queen room with no tub -- What kind of business just allows guests to pay for the upgrades and takes their money without any explanation at check-in?

#2: Take a good look at the photos I've loaded -- The bedside tables were both wobbly -- a trolly bar cart for a TV stand, and a very flimsy fiberboard faux wall unit. I also couldn't help but notice the melted phone -- it was kind of gross... I'm not gonna lie.

#3: The location isn't really ideal-- too far to walk to new Montreal and too far to walk to Old Montreal in cold weather (maybe OK in the summer)

#4: The lobby was so sterile -- no warmth whatsoever. Looks like you're walking into an upscale doctors office or something.

Again I understand that sometimes over-booking and mistakes can happen; but a five star establishment would have immediately apologized and handled the situation with haste and grace. This place is clearly no five star establishment -- no apology, no haste, and no grace.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
13 Thank MalenaBr
Sarah M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Mrs. Malena,

We appreciated that you are taking the time to bring these matters to our attention and I really do apologize for all the inconveniences you have experienced. The feedback we received from our valued guests enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary action to ensure similar situation can be avoided. In this particular situation, I am aware our Front desk clerk should have told you the room you reserved for was not available at check-in due to an incident out of our control. Rest assured that this situation has been discussed seriously in order to prevent such one in the future.

Should you have stayed the night with us I guarantee your appreciation about our hotel, staff and service would have accomplished your expectations. As you have seen from other reviews, the hotel is well valued by our guests.

On behalf of the whole team I offer once again an apology about your experience not being the one we aim to. I hope you will give us another chance to redeem ourselves. Please contact me directly (smahu@hotelgault.com), it will be my pleasure to offer you a complimentary upgrade in one of our best suites on your next stay.

Looking forward to the opportunity to welcoming you back!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 17, 2014

This boutique hotel has star quality. They understand service that is attentive without being intrusive. This is all packaged in an ambiance of 'industrial modern' design that is warmly inviting and relaxing with spacious rooms. Overall feeling is one of 'low-key cool', like it is a great secret and you are one of the lucky few being in on it. Great to sit and have a cocktail off in the back 'living room'. Location is perfect off a quiet street just a couple minutes to the more pedestrian tourist street in old city. This was our dog's first 'international' trip. He was acknowledged and greeted as a valued guest of the hotel - really made to feel welcome. Our room was prepared with a place mat with water and food bowl.
We had the misfortune while out in another part of town dining, of having our truck window smashed outside the restaurant. When we returned to the hotel, they supplied us with materials to close the window, ensured it was directly in front with security camera on it, and located a window glass repair the next morning. they took care of us making it easy to get this all done, and made the event much less stressful. Thanks to all at Hotel Gault for making us feel like we did want to return to Montreal.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank nop_12
Sarah M, Front Office Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your review of the Hotel Gault Montreal. Also thank you for your kind comments on our guest rooms and lobby design as well as the service you received while interacting with our team. I will share your thoughtful remarks with them.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon!