“Minimalism in Old Montreal”
Review of Hotel Gault

Hotel Gault
Ranked #3 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Chicago, Illinois
“Minimalism in Old Montreal”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

My fiance and I traveled to Montreal for the long Fourth of July weekend and we decided (in advance) to stay at Hotel Gault. Like the city of Montreal itself, Hotel Gault has it's charm and it's (very minor) concerns.

First, the charm.
This is a really cool, austere, and minimalistic boutique hotel. The decor is stark – as you would find in a contemporary museum. The overall size is small, but cozy – everything you usually find spread out in a larger cookie-cutter hotel is all within your sightline when you walk through the front door – the front desk, the bistro, the bar, the lounge, etc. And honestly, that's not a bad thing.
The staff is very attentive. I mean VERY attentive. From the complimentary cold drink when you walk through the door, to the friendly turndown service each night, to the car side assistance when you depart.
The rooms are really modern, comfortable, and cool. If you are expecting the type of room that a more traditional hotel would provide this is not your place. But if you love poured concrete floors, exposed brick walls, and funky wood furniture, this is your place. And for those keeping score at home, the bed was comfy, the shower pressure was ample, the bathroom was spotless, and the TV/stereo/ipod station all worked.

The concerns.
The hotel is a bit tricky to find. The street it's located on didn't show up on my car's built in GPS system (BMW) or on my iPhone, but that doesn't mean you can't find it. Use the cross streets and you'll be fine. As with other reviewers, there is very little parking in front of the hotel. Add to the building construction across the street and it's almost impossible to park BUT we were able to easily grab our bags, walk inside, and have the hotel valet the car for us. No big deal. (construction is not forever, so I wouldn't worry about that either)

Overall:
A great place to stay. A great neighborhood to be located in. And Great service. If we ever find our way back to Montreal, I'm pretty certain this is the place we'll stay. Unless it's sold out.

Room Tip: Room 110 is extremely quiet.
2 Thank antnee1515
, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding your last stay at the Gault!
It is always a pleasure to hear such great comments on the service, location and amenities!
We wish to have the chance to welcoming you back soon!
Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night - July 06th to July 07th. I stayed in the loft deluxe room. My first issue was with the front desk. We had just finished an 8 hour drive and my boyfriend was waiting in the car while I checked us in. I needed to know where we could park. The women advised that there were only 2 options - valet parking at $36 a day or parking on the street for $3 an hour. So the valet went to meet my boyfriend to park the car. Just an FYI - he found free parking for the night on the street steps away from the front door. When I asked if I could have the key for the room while the vehicle was parked and the bags were brought up, I was told I should really wait. Seriously ?? I was tired and needed a long hot shower after a very long day of driving. Why do I need to stand in the lobby for 15 minutes waiting ?

So we finally get up to the room and I was not impressed at all. The shower was not private. It was a large walk in type shower with glass doors but not in an actual bathroom. So if anyone was using the sink, closet, mini bar, or if room service came at the same time you were in the shower they would see you !! The toilet was in a separate room, however the toilet paper roll was not within reach. Seems silly but it was truly inconvenient. There was also no bath tub.

I then went to make a pot of coffee but could not find the pot. I called and was told they do not provide a coffee pot. I have stayed at many hotels during travel and this was the first time I have stayed at a hotel that did not offer one. So we had to order it. Almost $10 for a small pot that offered 2 small cups of coffee.

We also wanted to watch a movie but we could not find the movie list on the TV. We called downstairs and they informed us they only have DVD's and would bring up a list for us. An hour later we still did not have the list. I went down to get it myself only to find they were all very old movies. Thank god I did not order the movie package for the night.

We also had a blood spot on one of our pillow cases. Seriously unacceptable.

I do have to say I was looking forward to staying at this hotel but was greatly disappointed. I did not find the hotel worth the cost.

Room Tip: Maybe a more expensive room would provde a better set up. I paid $330 a night for the Loft deluxe an...
4 Thank Jackie D
Dear guest,
We appreciated that you are taking the time to bring these matters to our attention and we apologies for any inconvenience you may have experience during your stay at the Gault. It is our goal to consistently exceed our guest expectations and we are sorry to hear that this was not felt to you during your stay. Each of the concerns you mention in your comment have been shared with appropriate department in order to avoid each details. We are proud to provide each of our client unique experience when staying with us and hope to have the chance to welcome you back to demonstrate our commitment to guest satisfaction.
Sincerly,
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I will start by saying that this was my first visit to Montreal, so I can't say that I have first hand experience with any of the comparable properties in the area. After staying at Hotel Gault, however, I will never stay anywhere else (why risk it?).

Location - the hotel is close to basically everything. We spent most of our three days exploring the city on foot, and were within easy walking distance to all of Old Montreal, the Museum of Science, several art museums, the Bell Center, Notre Dame Basilica, and the list goes on. If you care to venture further, the Concierge will explain the bicycle system - which seemed to be extremely user friendly.

Property - my fiance and I LOVED the rooms. From the modern furniture and bathroom, to the poured concrete floors and incredibly comfortable bedding, Hotel Gault has a unique yet luxurious feel. For those who are used to staying at upscale properties (think Four Seasons), the accomodations here are a bit more minimalist...but for those of you who appreciate the beauty and character of exposed brick, this is totally the place for you!

Service - I can not say enough about the fantastic people at Hotel Gault, so I will keep it brief. The staff here will graciously exceed every expectation. Period.

My fiance and I stayed here for three nights, and are already looking forward to our return trip.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 28, 2012

After months of nonstop work and overtime, my cousin was going to stay at the Hotel Gault for a well-deserved vacation. I called the Hotel from the U.S. to arrange some surprises/gifts to greet her when she arrived. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly each time I called (especially Luiza, Melissa, and Andre), and very cordial and thorough when we corresponded over e-mail. They helped me organize, plan, and execute everything I wanted to do and more.

My cousin called me after she arrived at the hotel, absolutely gushing about the fantastic treatment and hospitality she had received from the staff. She told me all about how they had presented her with the spa gift they helped me secure (she was met with kind, thoughtful words and presented the gift card with a ribbon on it, in a wooden box, by the concierge wearing white gloves, and champagne--AMAZING!) Without my asking specifically for this intricate and lovely presentation, the Hotel Gault staff far exceeded my expectations, and helped make this a truly special and memorable stay for her.

She had a truly lovely stay, and I am so thankful to the hotel staff. I cannot wait to stay there myself!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank MNg11
Reviewed June 23, 2012

The rooms are huge and absolutely beautifully furnished and decorated - fans of classic modern design will adore the well chosen pieces, and rooms have a 1960s 'Mad Men' feel.

The staff are excellent - friendly, efficient and knowledgeable. We were particularly impressed by the concierge, Andre, whose restaurant recommendations were consistently wonderful - we ate so well throughout our trip!

Finally, we loved the location in Vieux Montreal. There are some great shops, cafes, restaurants and bars just a couple of minutes walk from the hotel. The hotel is close and yet feels like a tranquil haven.

We also felt the hotel was good value for the standard of accommodation and hospitality that we received.

Highly, highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank jesscalondon
, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at the Gault!
We are pleased to hear that our staff have been a part of provinding you such a great experience!
It is very nice of you to recommend the hotel, looking forward to welcoming you back on your next stay in Montreal!
Best regards!
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I'll keep this short. Hotel Gault is a wonderful hotel. Calm, serene, romantic, impeccable service and and very palpable feeling that you are truly a guest. Can't fault a thing. Highly recommended.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank William N
Astoria, New York, United States
Reviewed June 20, 2012

My wife and I love Hotel Gault. The boutique hotel, a renovated 19th-century textile building, is located in the historic neighborhood of Vieux Montreal. Its commanding stone edifice exudes old world ambiance and charm. One of the wonderful aspects of the hotel is its ability to mix old-world comfort and modernist design. (The photograph of M.I.A. in the elevator is a puckish touch.) With its Eames chairs, natural light, and cool aesthetics, the hotel’s lobby is an ideal place to enjoy a café or cocktail.

Speaking of style, our suite resembled something from a high-end design magazine. Though Spartan, the room is comfortable, if not downright cozy. Creature comforts include queen size beds, down duvets, and plush robes and slippers. The plasma-screen TV looks perfect.

The staff is professional, courteous, and helpful. To help us celebrate our recent nuptials, Andre, the hotel manager, sent us a complimentarily bottle of champagne to our suite. If that was not enough, the concierge reserved a table for us at Le Chien Fumant. (The dinner was wonderful.)

If you come to Montreal, stay at Hotel Gault. You will not be disappointed.

— Brendan and Marie

Room Tip: Room 340 has a wonderful terrace, which boasts fresh flowers and quaint aerial view of the city stre...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Brendan & Marie,
It is a real pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Gault as well as the decor and the ambiance! Be assured that I will tell Andre and the team about your fantastic comment on the service!
We are all looking forward to welcoming you back soon,
Best regards,