“Should be #1 hotel in Montreal”
Review of Hotel Gault

Hotel Gault
Ranked #2 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I stayed for three nights at the Hotel Gault, checking in on a Thursday night and out on Sunday. It it is, by far, a hotel that I found to be charming, cozy, sophisticated and sexy, all at the same time.

I was booked to stay at a large chain hotel the morning I departed for Montreal. But, after a quick call to the front desk of the Gault, I learned that I could stay at the Gault, with two hot breakfasts included in the nightly rate, for less than what I would have paid at the generic chain hotel.

Though the rack rates at the hotel are not inexpensive, the pre-paid rates are considerably discounted. I got a very generously sized, well appointed room, with a king size bed and standalone shower for a very reasonable nightly rate. Because I booked the morning before I departed for Montreal, I was comfortable pre paying (the pre-paid bookings can not be cancelled). And for $10 more, my companion and I we able to each have a hot breakfast of eggs cooked to specification, toast, bacon, coffee, orange juice (freshly squeezed, no less) and a choice of fresh fruit, or cereal, or yogurt. It really was a lovely breakfast, served in the the dining area off the lobby, next to tall windows overlooking the streets of old Montreal. The service was excellent and the breakfast was a a great value for $10 for two people.

The room itself was large, modern in style, very clean and well appointed. I had a Loft Deluxe. It had polished concrete floors, very high ceilings, gorgeous tall bright windows that opened to Juliet balconies, an area rug under the bed, and ipod/ipad dock, flat screen TV with DVD and cable television, lounge chairs and a coffee table, a comfy kind size bed behind which was a gauzy curtain separating the bathroom from the bedroom.

Modern in style, the bathroom sink and closet area were open to the room (in the area behind the gauzy curtain), while a water closet and shower are located behind doors. And there was ample closet space. Towels and bathrobes are plush. All in all, it was a lovely room. I could have spent way more than just three days there.

The lobby features modern, but comfortable furnishings and high ceilings. It has a very fresh and airy feel to it, in an understanted luxury kind of way. The lobby isn't much of a scene like you might find at other hotels, which is a good thing in my opinion. It was nice to come in from a day of sightseeing, or dinner, or shopping to the serene calm of the lobby, where you could unwind with a drink in the lobby. The staff would go so far as to inquire about your dinner/day/tour, etc, and gently invite you to enjoy a cocktail at the bar (or even have them sent to your room).

The staff at the hotel are very professioinal, attentive, service-minded, charming, friendly and helpful. Restaurant and bar recommendations were excellent. I needed to store my luggage for the day after I checked out on Sunday, and they were more than helpful...even when I had to go back to retreive a few things I needed for my day in Montreal. On my return, the bags were promptly loaded to a taxi for my trip to the train station.

The location of the hotel is fantastic, in Old Montreal. Cobblestone streets, elaborately ornate buildings, charming streets radiate every direction from the hotel. The hotel is a short walk to the Old Port, a short walk to the more bustling areas of Old Montreal, a short walk to shops and bars and restaurants (ask about Boris Brasserie, around the corner and it's c-h-a-r-m-i-n-g open-air courtyard dining area). The Metro is nearby. Cabs are plentiful down the street on McGill Street. Notre Dame Cathedral is a five minute walk away. And you're a 10-15 minute cab ride to the train station, bus station, shopping on Sherbrooke and St Catherine streets, the gay village, the Museum of Fine Art and retaurants on a street whose name escapes me at the moment, among other attractions. Additional note: the hotel is gay friendly.

I highly recommend this hotel and would not hesitate to go back. In fact, I'm already thinking about my next trip.

Room Tip: Ask about the pre paid rates. The rates might be so good that you end up moving up a class of room.
3  Thank Nathan_M2TO
OlivierBottois, Asset Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2011

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Gault! Your feedback is helpful and appreciated.Looking forward to welcoming you back!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,391)

Reviewed August 21, 2011

Very nice rooms with design pieces of furniture like Arne Jacobsen look.
Great staff, smiling, always available to help and giving very good tips!
Perfect to stay a few days in Montreal, close to all places to see (walking distance).

Reviewed August 21, 2011

We needed a box to pack up for our purchases
- no problem
We needed to freeze our ice bags to keep food cool on the drive home
- no problem
Suggestions for restaurants
- Direct, clear and high value

Clean, contemporary design without being too awkwardly trendy. Comfortable and higly functional rooms. We booked a room with a terrace which gives a lot of light and interesting views. But the separation from the other terraces is just a planter although they are well spaced. At this time of year the rooftop condensers on all the other buildings are also very audible.

1  Thank marekw
OlivierBottois, Asset Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2011

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind comments shared with the entire team! Looking forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed August 19, 2011

We only stayed for one night but were impressed. The staff were very professional and helpful, making suggestions and booking a restaurant for dinner for us. Well equipped rooms, iPod/iPhone docking station useful.

We had breakfast, which was very good. Loan of an iPad for internet access a nice touch.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind comments. I am glad that you enjoyed the service and some of our newest amenities! Looking forward to your next visit!

Reviewed August 11, 2011

Having stayed at a number of hotels in Montreal from the St. James, to the Ritz and Fairmount, I decided to try a smaller boutique hotel recommended on Trip Advisor and through friends. The Hotel Gault is now my favourite hotel in Montreal. It resides in the old city in a turn of the century building, with contemporary interior design. My room was lavish and extremely large, compared to similiarly priced hotels. Of note....the Gault is not cheap, but you really get "what you pay for". The service was fantastic and attentive without being sufficating. IPads for your stay, the gym, the breakfst options, the interior design and of course my room itself all added up to a definite re-visit in the near future. It is a small hotel so if your looking for the frenetic pace of the W or Fairmount, this is not it.....I would describe it as discrete chic, not garrish or loud. Thanks to the staff for making my weekend get-away in Montreal "Fantasiques"!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank JMCToronto
OlivierBottois, Asset Manager at Hotel Gault, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at The Gault! It is always rewarding to create "moments of magic" for our customers and we appreciate your kind comments. We all look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed August 1, 2011

Just to putt he caveat prominently up front, I bought this room off of Jetsetter.

The people in Hotel Gault could not have been nicer. The concierge, the reception staff, the valet, the other gentlemen who showed us our room and took our bags; all were exceptionally nice. They carried our bags, they made reservations, they did everything we can ask for. And they did it happily, and graciously.

The hotel also had a lot of nice amenities. Amazingly hot water in the shower, very clean room, free stereo in the room, free wifi, and complimentary ipad to use in the hotel. When we checked in, they gave us glasses of water and soda, and free bottles of water in the room. The bed was also extremely comfortable. All very nice features!

On the other hand, the place was pretty expensive: $240 a night after taxes. And possibly because we bought the room through Jetsetter, we got probably the least desirable room in the hotel. First floor above reception, right across from the elevator. It's an open layout so there was no separation for the bathroom (the toilet had a small door to get some privacy). The walls were fairly thin, the floors were bare concrete, and the walls were unadorned. There was only one window, and it was quite thin (though tall). The odd thing was, the curtains didn't cover the whole window. When I called reception to ask them how to close them, they brought us a pair of binder clips. Again, they couldn't have been nicer, but for a 4 or 5 star hotel to bring you binder clips? Very odd/disappointing.

One other odd thing: the cable system was just like a box that you and I would have in our homes. This sounds nice, but 3/4 of the channels on the guide are blocked, so if you want to watch anything before bed or in the morning, it's a guessing game to know if what you see on the guide is available. A channel list would have been helpful.

Overall, the place is very "fancy" but felt extremely cold to me. Almost like a hip prison. In the future, I would not book again at Jetsetter, and probably not at Gault (at least at that price). The people were exceptional, the room was overpriced.

Room Tip: Don't book through Jetsetter! :)
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RickyRage
OlivierBottois, Owner's Representative at Hotel Gault, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2011

Dear guest,

It was a pleasure having you stay at the Gault and we appreciate your comments. I am sorry that you were not able to enjoy the full hotel experience. We strive to the highest level of service and amenities and will take into consideration your comments as applicable.
Looking forward to the opportunity to welcoming you back!

Reviewed August 1, 2011

After reading the reviews of many Montreal hotels we plumped for this one... At first sight I wondered where all the people were, as it was supposed to be downtown Montreal in the heart of the old town. It is near (approx 10 mins walk) but not so near that you can hear the crowds passing your window.
The room was massive, we reserved a Junior suite after some problems with the initial payment (this was our problem) and as you can see in the photos both the room and bathroom are considerably spacious. Both bathroom and bedroom furniture were extremely clean. Some days the floor could have been swept and cleaned - but that didn't detract from the overall splendour of the hotel, which was refurbished on the site of the first North American YMCA. The only thing missing from my point of view was a small sofa, as there was one easy chair in the room and to relax the only other option was to sit on the bed.
The staff couldn't have been more attentive to our needs. We needed some adjustments to the air conditioning and we also booked a car through the hotel and Alejandro, Andre and Bettina more than helped us out. We were even given a specific route through lovely rural villages when we drove up to Quebec city which was prepared and written by Andre. So if you want to be pampered and looked after try the Gault in Montreal.

Room Tip: Reserve through Booking.com
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple