“Our 25th Anniversary” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Montreal, Canada
“Our 25th Anniversary”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

Although we live in Montreal, because of our two teenagers we decided to celebrate our 25th in our own city. The Hotel Nelligan was the perfect choice: comfortable and elegant room, fabulous service and the best location, right in Old Montreal. When we arrived the staff asked if there was any special occasion and suggested we start our evening at the cocktail lounge. The cocktails are fabulous: great combos and not too sweet. We followed up with a meal at the wonderful Hotel restaurant called Verse. hotel food is often mediocre but we'd heard good thing about this place and it was really outstanding. We had a 10 course degustation dinner that was fabulous. Because is it sugar bush season the theme was maple syrup. Each plate was a masterpiece both visually and to the palate. And the service was very attentive.. after when we went up to our room we had a congratulations card from the staff with chocolate covered strawberries. Nice attention. The next morning we had breakfast at nearby Olive and Gourmando, one of our favorites and we spent the rest of the weekend doing Montreal things. This hotel is the perfect place for a very special memorable stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mona G
Hotel-Nelligan, Front Office Manager at Hotel Nelligan, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Mona G,

We would like to thank you for recommending Hotel Nelligan Montreal. We are very pleased to read your comments about the associates and our restaurant food. Be assured that will make sure to share them along and we hope to welcome you soon!

Daisy le Van Chau

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

Stayed in Hotel Nelligan twice more for work and these two times treated myself to their penthouse suite -- it's simply fabulous. Like having a lovely terraced apartment in Old Montreal. There is a great kitchen with big fridge, dining table, long work table, fireplace, 2 bedrooms and two baths. The master bath is large with a big tub and lots of nice products . Best of all, there is a huge terrace which you can walk out on from the dining/living area. From the terrace one can see Notre Dame Cathedral and look down upon Old Montreal. The front desk people are totally helpful, as is everyone else who works there. Treat yourself to the penthouse - it's worth it!!

Room Tip: My room was 513.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank laurensd1111
Hotel-Nelligan, Front Office Manager at Hotel Nelligan, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you very much for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor. We hope to welcome you again at the Nelligan hotel in a near future.

Warm regards!

Daisy Le Van Chau
Wheatland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

This hotel was truly exceptional in everyway. From the moment we entered the front door until our departure the service was fantastic. Our room was beautifully decorated and had everything that you could ever need. The location was right in the middle of Old Downtown Montreal and within walking distance to everything. We have been to many smaller boutique hotels but this is truly special. If you are looking for something quiet and romantic this is the place. We found the price was more than reasonable for what we received.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wheatland
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

70 % of being a good hotel is defined by its staff. The Nelligan is a place like this.
It is a warm and lovely hotel, whose staff makes you feel welcome, the rooms are nice,
and the food in the Restaurant "Verses" is good, served in a pleasant surrounding by
an exceptionally well trained and friendly staff. We wish, we could
remember all the names of the staff members, because nobody made you feel not
welcome, from the door men to the front desk (hello Miss Claude) to the "action corner", the Concierge Desk,manned (or womaned) by "Miss Sunshine", Nathalia Castilho.
In short, we will be back.
Peter & Maria Ploss

Room Tip: We stayed on third floor in a nice quiet room (311). Enjoyed it.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank pploss
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

Booked the Winter package for our anniversary and it was wonderful. Friendly welcome from staff and excellent concierge who booked a superb restaurant for Sat night dinner. Our room was on the 3rd floor, overlooking St Paul Street - large, bright and airy with huge bathroom, gas fireplace, king size bed etc. Was a bit noisy at 3am as the crowds exited nearby bars but found this more entertaining than annoying....my husband slept through it! Complementary drink at bar and continental breakfast were good. Location is great, with lots of interesting shops, bars, cafes nearby. Our package included a bottle of wine, which was a Penfolds, so very drinkable.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise, request a room away from St Paul Street
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Love the spot, the room, the ambiance and location. Near everything you would like to see in Montreal and on the quiet Rue St. Paul, in the center or shops, restaurants, bars and galleries. Very helpful and welcoming staff. Would definitely return.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

I'm actually writing this review from room 221, in the comfort of the excellent king bed while my girlfriend is at a business conference.
This hotel is everything I had hoped/envisioned it would be. Gorgeous architecture and general ambiance in both the hotel and the surrounding neighbourhood. Very polite, courteous staff (although the people working late don't seem to know much of anything, or care; to get anything addressed you have to talk to a daywalker I guess).
The double jetted jacuzzi tub and bath salt sample pack are DIVINE. I thought we would miss the lack of a pool/hot tub etc., but I would take this quality of in - room jacuzzi any day.
A ton of stuff to see and do, all within a short stroll down the quaint narrow streets.
Now the not so good (but not a deal- breaker) : Since my gf is at her work summit for these two days, I am lucky enough to get to chill in the hotel room all day (which is my favourite part of most trips for me). Being a media/tech gadget kind of guy, I brought my laptop and hdmi cables etc to watch recorded shows on TV. Much to my surprise (and disappointment), I discovered that the TV, though it looks reasonably modern, has no hdmi ports. To some this sounds like a trivial detail, but I disagree; top-tier hotels in high-volume trendy areas are all about comfort and convenience. The Nelligan offers top-shelf comfort, and a convenient geographical location, but the accoutrements technologique are frustratingly and embarrassingly lacking. Our room has a small LG flat screen TV which looks like it could be modern, but it must be one of the first ones ever manufactured, as I haven't owned or seen plus and ports like the ones on the back of this in many years. Even the sound system doesn't have a Simple plug and play jack. So basically no personal music, and no movies at all for the weekend so looks like I brought my laptop for nothing. I should have called in advance to see if the TV's had hdmi, but I assumed any modem reasonably equipped hotel wouldn't have such horribly outdated relics for audiovisual entertainment. Tried watching normal TV, but the picture quality was abysmal, so just gave up.
Most hotels have extra cables (usually that people have forgotten), but the night concierge didn't suggest that, and when I spelled the idea out for him, he said it's locked and I'd have to come back tomorrow when the manager is there (really!?, you don't have the key to a drawer of spare cables? Wow.)
At least they have free WiFi which works on my phone (which you have to register to log into every time you open a screen. Works on my phone, but not my laptop. So I could watch YouTube videos on my phone, but the connection is the slowest I have ever experienced (3 Ookla speed tests clocked am average download speed of .3 Mb/s; so no video due to buffering.
They offer in-room massage, so I asked the same night desk guy about rates, and he had no idea, and didn't have a price list. Good thing I didn't run out of toilet paper, as he probably would have been baffled by that request as well.
Anyways, I'm about to go check out the gym, and ask the day people about the cables, so if they solve the issue, I will update and change my rating, because everything/everyone else have been very pleasant. I bet the $20 plus tax and tip hamburgers are a delight!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple