“Fantastic Stay in Old Montreal”
Review of Hotel Nelligan

Hotel Nelligan
Ranked #9 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
chicago
“Fantastic Stay in Old Montreal”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

We were coming with another couple for the first time from Chicago to Montreal for the Blackhawks game. My husband was in the hotel business for 10 years and researched where to stay, as we like the smaller boutique hotel experience. Hotel Nelligan surpassed our expectations at every turn, from the wonderful junior corner suite with fireplace ( electric but it did the visual trick) to the great comfortable lobby with fireplace. But it is the excellent staff all around who made it such a great trip. Young, friendly, honestly caring about you , they directed us to great resturants and sight seeing. The location is awesome, you can walk everywhere and feel like you are in Europe with the cobblestone streets. We were so happy to be at Hotel Nelligan , checked out some others and they did not compare with the warmth and comfortableness we had there. Would only stay there again!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Great hotel and located in the heart of Old Montreal. Maude our concierge was fabulous and was able to get us some amazing dining experiences on our trip. The Hotel staff was friendly. Can't wait to come back and stay again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed January 22, 2014

This hotel is lovely and chic and beautifully decorated. You feel as though you have just entered Paris. It is walking distance to old town and the port if you'd enjoy a run or along the water. Easy walk to any number of excellent restaurants. Quality bedding, unique, contemporary bathroom fixtures. Fabulous continental breakfast and ambiance. Everything about my stay was 5 star.

Room Tip: All rooms are quite unique. You won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2014

This is a very pretty hotel from the outside. Quaint and chic, perfectly located to explore the old town and port.

Staff are very friendly and instantly make you feel welcome. Free water is supplied to room.

Decor inside is nice, not the most expensive of furnishings etc but it looks nicer than your standard Marriot etc. Bathrooms have exposed walls which I really like and the shower was great.

I would stay here if in Montreal again, it is pricey but we had an enjoyable stay so no complaints.

Room Tip: Get the most you can afford as this is a matter of the more you spend the better the room. We paid a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank foard83
Sydney
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I've booked Hotel Nelligan online through Hoteltonight rooms based on the reviews. I wanted to stay there two nights but at the time of booking only one was available and the second night became available the following morning. It was not till I arrived back at home that I've realised that I have been charged twice for the first night - once by the Hoteltonight and once by the hotel Nelligan on check out. I've tried to email the hotel to solve the problem but was unable to find their email address, so I referred the overcharge to my bank. The bank forwarded to me a copy of the correspondence sent by the hotel - handwritten in French! The hotel knows that I live in the English speaking country, where my bank is also located. All their reception staff speak fluent English, which is also happens to be an international language - why French? Attached was a copy of my registration form with my Credit Card details and my signature, also a check out account, charged to my Credit Card but not signed by me. As it happens, my husband checked out of the hotel. Receptionist automatically charged my card and asked him to sign it. My husband is not authorised to sign my card, therefore the signiture is invalid. Why didn't they verify it from the registration card? He also was unaware that I already prepaid for the first night to Hotetonight but the hotel should have been aware of this. So I've been charged CAD605.60 for the night of the 24Oct 2013 staying in the average room in the average hotel. Yes, the hotel is average. Someone summarised it perfectly in the earlier review "something is missing", like my new cashmere hat that went missing during my stay there. If I left it behind, hotel certainly did not contact me. As a retired Travel Consultant I've stayed in many hotels during my long career and I think that Nelligan is overpriced and overrated. In the meantime, I hope that I don't have to wait too long for my refund.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Positives:
Lovely comfortable bed
Friendly and helpful staff
Great location
We stayed over Christmas and the staff left a small Xmas stocking handing on the door

Negatives:
We booked a suite, which turned out to be a large room with a desk.
The fireplace was electric and emitted no heat.
The 'state of the art' electronic equipment was an old CD player that wasn't plugged in.
The room was dusty. Parts of the bathroom had not been cleaned.
Broken blinds and tatty curtains on windows.
No slippers provided! Bath robes tatty.
The room temperature control was unresponsive.
The food in the hotel restaurant was poor and overpriced
Our room faced the back of the building, and a noisy garbage/recycling truck arrived every morning around 6.30/7am

Conclusion:
A pleasant enough hotel, but for those prices we expected a much higher standard.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fishwillbite
Hotel-Nelligan, Front Office Manager at Hotel Nelligan, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. It is only with our guest feedback that we can improve our product and our services. Rest assured that we will take your comments into consideration and hope to have the pleasure to welcome you once again in a near future.

Kind regards,

Virginie Claude
Memphis
Reviewed January 10, 2014

This quaint and chic hotel is a wonderful mix of traditional and chic. The staff is extremely knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. My partner and I spent one night and hated to leave this part of Old Montreal. Very close to the shopping district (3 miles) and Old Montreal feels much like an old French city. Would definitely return to this lovely hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple