“Amazing boutique Hotel”

Ranked #9 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
San Luis Obispo, California
“Amazing boutique Hotel”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Great hotel and located in the heart of Old Montreal. Maude our concierge was fabulous and was able to get us some amazing dining experiences on our trip. The Hotel staff was friendly. Can't wait to come back and stay again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York
Reviewed January 22, 2014

This hotel is lovely and chic and beautifully decorated. You feel as though you have just entered Paris. It is walking distance to old town and the port if you'd enjoy a run or along the water. Easy walk to any number of excellent restaurants. Quality bedding, unique, contemporary bathroom fixtures. Fabulous continental breakfast and ambiance. Everything about my stay was 5 star.

Room Tip: All rooms are quite unique. You won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2014

This is a very pretty hotel from the outside. Quaint and chic, perfectly located to explore the old town and port.

Staff are very friendly and instantly make you feel welcome. Free water is supplied to room.

Decor inside is nice, not the most expensive of furnishings etc but it looks nicer than your standard Marriot etc. Bathrooms have exposed walls which I really like and the shower was great.

I would stay here if in Montreal again, it is pricey but we had an enjoyable stay so no complaints.

Room Tip: Get the most you can afford as this is a matter of the more you spend the better the room. We paid a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank foard83
Sydney
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I've booked Hotel Nelligan online through Hoteltonight rooms based on the reviews. I wanted to stay there two nights but at the time of booking only one was available and the second night became available the following morning. It was not till I arrived back at home that I've realised that I have been charged twice for the first night - once by the Hoteltonight and once by the hotel Nelligan on check out. I've tried to email the hotel to solve the problem but was unable to find their email address, so I referred the overcharge to my bank. The bank forwarded to me a copy of the correspondence sent by the hotel - handwritten in French! The hotel knows that I live in the English speaking country, where my bank is also located. All their reception staff speak fluent English, which is also happens to be an international language - why French? Attached was a copy of my registration form with my Credit Card details and my signature, also a check out account, charged to my Credit Card but not signed by me. As it happens, my husband checked out of the hotel. Receptionist automatically charged my card and asked him to sign it. My husband is not authorised to sign my card, therefore the signiture is invalid. Why didn't they verify it from the registration card? He also was unaware that I already prepaid for the first night to Hotetonight but the hotel should have been aware of this. So I've been charged CAD605.60 for the night of the 24Oct 2013 staying in the average room in the average hotel. Yes, the hotel is average. Someone summarised it perfectly in the earlier review "something is missing", like my new cashmere hat that went missing during my stay there. If I left it behind, hotel certainly did not contact me. As a retired Travel Consultant I've stayed in many hotels during my long career and I think that Nelligan is overpriced and overrated. In the meantime, I hope that I don't have to wait too long for my refund.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Positives:
Lovely comfortable bed
Friendly and helpful staff
Great location
We stayed over Christmas and the staff left a small Xmas stocking handing on the door

Negatives:
We booked a suite, which turned out to be a large room with a desk.
The fireplace was electric and emitted no heat.
The 'state of the art' electronic equipment was an old CD player that wasn't plugged in.
The room was dusty. Parts of the bathroom had not been cleaned.
Broken blinds and tatty curtains on windows.
No slippers provided! Bath robes tatty.
The room temperature control was unresponsive.
The food in the hotel restaurant was poor and overpriced
Our room faced the back of the building, and a noisy garbage/recycling truck arrived every morning around 6.30/7am

Conclusion:
A pleasant enough hotel, but for those prices we expected a much higher standard.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fishwillbite
Hotel-Nelligan, Front Office Manager at Hotel Nelligan, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. It is only with our guest feedback that we can improve our product and our services. Rest assured that we will take your comments into consideration and hope to have the pleasure to welcome you once again in a near future.

Kind regards,

Virginie Claude
Memphis
Reviewed January 10, 2014

This quaint and chic hotel is a wonderful mix of traditional and chic. The staff is extremely knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. My partner and I spent one night and hated to leave this part of Old Montreal. Very close to the shopping district (3 miles) and Old Montreal feels much like an old French city. Would definitely return to this lovely hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Densford
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 10, 2014

WONDERFUL staff- friendly and super accommodating but the hotel I'm sorry to say is missing something. I keep thinking about it, but I just can't put my finger on it exactly. It isn't that something is wrong, it's just that something isn't quite right. The image doesn't exactly fit the profile. It honestly reminded me glorified Marriot or Holiday Inn. Regarding the room. It was huge and the bed very comfortable but again the décor- not exactly outdated but not exactly right. The painting over the bed had a French country feel but the rest of the room was modern. It just missed the mark on so many little things. They left water for us every night a some Lindt chocolates which was lovely, and the sitting by the fireplace was very very nice, yet the restaurant/bar looks like a TFI Fridays. The décor is so cheap esthetically.
Location is wonderful and charming as it's the oldest part of Montreal and we walked the city for hours despite the cold.
The Nelligan has a lot going for it and with a slight makeover- minor touches here and there, it would really be first rate.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank alisatka_11
Dear alisatka_11,

Thank you for your constructive review. I am glad to read that you were more than satisfied with the service provided by the team. Our guest satisfaction is our number one priority and your observations will definitely help us to improve our product and services.

We hope to see you again very soon.

Kind regards,