“Spectacular service and even better stay”
Review of Hotel Nelligan

Hotel Nelligan
Ranked #9 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
New York City, New York
“Spectacular service and even better stay”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Hmmm where do I start? My wife and I just returned from our stay at Hotel Nelligan and we cannot say enough about this place. From the very start, we were welcomed with open arms by the Dan Belanger and staff. Check in was easy from start to finish and we were upgraded to a petit suite as a bonus! When we arrived at our beautiful room, we were greeted shortly afterward with our bags as well as chocolate covered strawberries. What a wonderful surprise! Turn down service in the evening included bottled water and chocolates. Probably the best part of our stay however, was the concierge! Once again, I cannot say how incredibly helpful they were. The very first night they were able to get us a dinner reservation at Garde Manger, which is basically impossible to get on a weekend without booking 1 month in advance. Dinner was exquisite needless to say. Perhaps the best touch was the glass of champagne we received at dinner compliments of the concierge. Basically, we had a spectacular time in Montreal which was in large part due to the service at Hotel Nelligan. On top of it, Old Port is great for romantic dinners, trendy bars and boutique shopping. Very highly recommended!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sid1623

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Hotel Nelligan was well priced, very charming and offered great service. We had a King room in the originally renovated portion of the hotel and were interested in its history and architecture. The
room was perfectly appointed with quality and up to date furnishings and spotlessly clean. The hotel was very quiet even though seemingly full as the doors do not slam, the windows block outside noise from the street and furnishings were chosen to provide comfort and be sound absorbing. The hotel was lively, but blessedly quiet in the room. The hotel breakfast was excellent and offered good variety on the buffet and quality choices on the a la carte menu and all were good value and well presented.
Hotel Nelligan is ideally situated to enjoy all the sights and activity of Old Montreal and has good public transit access nearby to enjoy the entire city.

Room Tip: Rooms I the older section are beautiful and have old style French windows that open. The newer secti...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This was my first stay in Montreal. I booked here at a colleague's recommendation, and I'm glad I did. The hotel is a classic building, and my room was surprisingly larger than I expected. I imagined it would be a small room similar to what you get in NYC however the room was quite spacious. The service was excellent, and even after I checked out and realized I left something in my room, they went out of their way to get my item to me. The location is right in the centre of Old Montreal, with lots of restaurants to choose. What I couldn't find though was a good breakfast place. The hotel has a continental breakfast, but I was looking for something more.
Their rooftop patio is very cool and THE place to be for drinks. We only ordered the nachos so I can't comment on the food other than the nachos were not that great. Lot's of beautiful people, great place to lounge!
I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank itrvl4work
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Another great stay at Hotel Nelligan, everything was great and the staff at the hotel are amazing and very helpful. Our room was well appointed, we had a king superior room with a king size bed which was really comfortable. We also liked the stone wall in the room which gave the room a old european look and feel. The bathroom was also nice and big, it had nice fixtures as well. All around a great hotel and our favorite in Montreal, we will be back in the future!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Hammer1211
In Toronto
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I lucked out and got a one-night booking for a business trip at a great price. I was not disappointed -- the Nelligan is a fantastic boutique hotel in an amazing location in old Montreal. The service at reception was warm, friendly, and efficient -- in both languages. I stayed in a standard king room, which was really spacious and well-decorated. Loved the exposed brick walls -- sign of a good boutique hotel, I say -- and the decor and furnishings were modern and welcoming. The room had all the touches I love in a hotel room, including:

-mini-fridge
-comfy robes
-stereo with iPod dock
-deep soaker tub
-good water pressure with lots of hot water
-high-quality linens
-big bathroom with good-quality toiletries

The rooms look just like they do in the hotel photos. The bed was amazing -- everyone should opt for a king size bed if they don't have one at home, it's life-changing. Loads of pillows and a great duvet. No street noise from my room -- I didn't have much of a view but my night was lovely and peaceful.

Location was great -- Old Montreal is a dream and there are tons of restaurants and shops nearby -- the Enoteca across the street was busy even at 10pm on a Tuesday. Gotta love Montreal! I ate at the adjacent hotel restaurant, Mechant Boeuf, which also had people. Not too bad and prices ok for a hotel restaurant. I got a free drink with my room, which I think you can redeem at Mechant Boeuf (realized this too late).

Overall, a wonderful stay. Highly recommended and would absolutely stay at the Nelligan again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank WorkingOnIt
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed here for the first time recently and were very impressed. The location is hard to beat - right in the centre of Old Montreal - and the hotel is very well decorated and furnished. The rooms are luxurious. But it was the service which really shone, from check-in to bar staff. We received complimentary drink tickets on check-in, and when we went to use them, the bar was filled to overflowing with a large group. Unable to get near the bar, I asked a passing staff member if she could at least get us a list of cocktails, and once she realized we were not part of the group, she took us to another area which wasn't officially open and set us up with drinks there. The bartender took care of us, and gave us lots of advice on what to do in Old Montreal. Every staff member we met was equally friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nigel L
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 28, 2013

The first thing that struck us is that the staff are excellent, professional and appear delighted to help with the slightest need. The restaurant is excellent with great food that is well prepared and served. The rooms are clean and large. There is a lovely lounge area that serves equally well for breakfast and becomes comfortably atmospheric at cocktail hour. The Nelligan is well located in Old Montreal. All in all we had an extremely pleasant stay at The Nelligan and can't imagine staying any place else in Montreal.
T & J, Toronto

Room Tip: We had a large, sunny corner room on the fourth floor. I believe it was classified as a "King...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple