“Phenominal”

Ranked #9 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Irvine, California
“Phenominal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2008

The Hotel Nelligan was fantastic in every way. Beautiful rooms, great service, and perfect location in Old City Montreal are just a few of the characteristics that make this place a must stay.

• Liked — The rooms
  • Stayed April 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank GlobeTraveler06

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2008

Wow! We loved Hotel Nelligan. We stayed for three nights last week and had a wonderful time.

The welcome for our late night arrival was warm and very efficient. I've never had a faster check-in.

Our room was beautiful with the exposed brick and warm decor. Soft music was playing, and chocolates and water were left for turndown service. We requested a room with two double beds (there were 3 of us), and I was very pleasantly surprised by the spaciousness of the room. I had imagined it would be cramped, but quite the contrary. The bathroom as well was very roomy.

The mini-bar was very well stocked, with good quality beverages, reasonable prices, and as a prior reviewer noted, large bottles. There were lots of pillows for the beds, a beautiful full size desk, a mini-stereo, bathrobes, slippers, nice toiletries, a full size good quality blow-dryer, an ironing board, safe, and even an umbrella! I loved the bed and the warm fluffy duvet.

As another reviewer mentioned, I was surprised how quiet the room was. It was often quite lively out on the street or in the hotel in the evening...our room overlooked the street and was on top of the hotel bar. But inside our room, it was completely quiet. Amazing.

In the morning, I was happy to see the National Post - Canada's true national paper :) outside our door. There were some lesser papers downstairs!

Breakfast was lovely. Fabulous coffee, muesli, all-bran, some other cereal, orange & grapefruit juice, plain yogourt, cottage cheese, gigantic bowl of fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, mini muffins, croissants, bagels, and bread...all served in the cozy, elegant, spacious,and peaceful surroundings of the atrium. Such a beautiful and relaxing space.

The front desk people were unfailingly helpful, giving us maps, directions, suggestions. We were going to visit the InfoTouriste office but found we had no need to.

The hotel is an easy one block away from the basilica and three blocks away from the nearest metro station. A block in the other direction takes you to the water and the promenade, and all around you are the streets, shops, and restaurants of Old Montreal.

Checkout again was effortless..with a 12 noon checkout time that we appreciated. We did not need to leave for the airport until 3:30, so the staff reserved a cab for us in advance, and held on to our bags for us.

I have only two quibbles with the hotel. One is that there was no dressing table in the room. My 18 year old daughter was with us, and we both needed to beautify ourselves at the same time. One of us would be in the bathroom - where there was no vanity, just the elegant wooden shelves, already filled with towels and toiletries, so it was hard to make room for beauty products - we had to juggle them in our hands. In the main room, there was a large full-size mirror, but no spot to set anything down, so we had to hold the products in our hands. Very awkward, and there is a perfect spot for a slim dressing table between the mirror and the closet.

The other quibble was with late night snacking. We came back to the hotel very late one night. Room service was already closed (I believe it's 11:30 all nights except Sunday, which is 10:30). This was a Saturday night, probably between 1 and 2 am. We asked at the front desk for a pizza place (we always like to try a local pizza!) and were given a place to try. We had trouble getting through - a busy night? We didn't really have any other suggestions or ideas. The depanneur down the street was already closed, and there was no vending machine, so we resorted to eating the $8.00 almonds and tiny $3.00 chocolate bars in the mini-bar. So, a suggestion to the hotel would be to install a very discreet, very elegant vending machine in an out-of-the way, even secret corner. Even the well-heeled traveler can get a late night attack of the munchies! Until that happens, I would advise other travelers to pick up their snacks ahead of time. There is a little depanneur just down the block, and a few little sandwich/deli/coffee places close by as well.

Anyway, those are just little inconveniences. Overall, we had a wonderful time in Montreal, and Hotel Nelligan had much to contribute to the pleasure of our trip. We will definitely return again.

• Liked — Warm friendly staff, beautiful & tranquil environment
  • Disliked — We couldn't stay longer!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank mcwhippet
Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2008

Hotel Neligan is a stylish hotel with a lovely restaurant that has a good local following (I am local, I have been been there to drink and dine in the past).

Why did I go there if I am local? To have a mini-getaway with my husband while my son went on a sleepover. It is right around the corner from where I work in Old Montreal. I saw on their website that they had an Experience Montreal special for $308: dinner for two at Verses (restaurant); a wine and cheese from 4-7; one night stay; exceptional continental dinner in the room; two robes and slippers. I went for it! The alcohol is not included in the meal but it was still a bargain. I upgrade by paying $25 more to have a superior room with fireplace and two person jacuzzi - it was worth it. I wanted to bring that jacuzzi home.

I will TRY to make this quick: our greeting and check in was very efficient. The room was stylishly decorated, sort of Zen minimalism with mahogany and lush puffy beddings against the features of old Montreal buildings with exposed brick. The bathroom was wonderful with the jacuzzi and large shower. The amenities in the washroom included the usual soaps, etc. - all higher quality - but there was also an 'intimacy kit' with condoms, lubricant etc. for $7.00 and Oxia oxygen canister (just what do people get up to in there!) for around $17. The mini bar was impressively stocked with larger than usual bottles, complete with wine glasses and corkscrew (often have to request this in other hotels). Our view was over the roof of a nearby building and beyond that you could see the water but we could not see much with the falling snow - and we didn't care! We were comfy. There was a machine by the bed that took an ipod, and a very nice stereo system playing music as we came in. They have CDs downstairs that you can use. You will be impressed with the beddings and know that they offer the bedding at reasonable prices (obviously not the ones on your bed!!!)

Our meal at Verses was lovely - found the confit on the foie apetizer gras a bit too sweet, but the tuna steak was nicely done. For desert I had the sorbert, hubby had the creme brule which he thought was perfect.

The breakfast the next morning was wonderful, much more than the average continental breakfast. Basket of rolls and variety of breads, cheeses, boiled eggs, yogurt, fruit, coffee, juice, I am probably forgetting something, but it was pretty impressive.

I could go on an on but I do not think you can go wrong with this hotel. It has a very stylish interior, lovel lobby with an atrium, everything about it is well thought out. From a style point of view it is very design oriented.

One thought crossed my mind - someone might be looking at the location of this hotel and the fact that it is not facing the water (I know that when I am booking hotels just being one street off where I want to be sometimes seems like a big deal). This is located on St. Paul, which does not face the water but is a pretty street nonetheless and de la Commune (the street facing the water) is the next street. Don't be put off by that, you will be right around the corner. And they have a beautiful roof terrace open in the summer that you will have a lovely view from - we go there in the summer for lunch sometimes. They make an amazing Lychee martini.

I hope that you found this review useful.

• Liked — Stylish and friendly; great value
  • Disliked — Absolutely nothing. Keep up the good work, Nelligan
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 45DegreesNorth
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2008

We stayed at the Hotel Nelligan for 4 nights recently and had a very good experience. The service was excellent--everyone at the front desk was extremely helpful answering questions, giving directions, making restaurant recommendations and reservations. The hotel is pleasantly decorated, though not particularly stylish.

Our room, which was in the newer part of the hotel, was large, as was the bathroom, with a large tub and separate large shower. Everything was very clean, and the housekeeping service during the day was good--the room always looked perfect when we returned from our explorations. Evening turndown service was spotty--a couple of nights we got it and a couple of nights we didn't, but it wasn't such a huge deal.

The room was also exceptionally quiet--other than an occasional door closing, we didn't hear another guest at any point when we were in the room. A couple of nights we could hear faint music of a night club, but nothing nearly obtrusive enough to bother us.

Though we would have preferred hot options at breakfast, the continental breakfast (included in the price of the room) was quite nice. Excellent fresh muffins, nice bread (and a toaster if you wanted it toasted), fruit, cereal, cheese, hard-boiled eggs. Really very good for a cold continental. Coffee and tea were also very nice. The wine and cheese reception each evening pleasant as well.

Our one complaint was that the bed was extremely uncomfortable. The mattress was overly firm (and I even like a firm mattress), and every time either of us moved there was a very noticeable "squeaking" sound--not springs or hinges--we couldn't figure out what was actually causing the noise but it seemed to be some combination of the linens and the mattress cover. Whatever it was, it was so loud that it woke us up numerous times during the night, and we are pretty heavy sleepers. The duvet was also extremely heavy--even when we turned the heat down very low we were still too hot during the night. And the pillows are luxuriously plump but so firm that we woke up with sore necks. All in all, we didn't get a good night's sleep the whole time we were there.

As for the neighborhood, it was very quiet at the time of year we visited (February), which is perhaps to be expected because it caters mostly to tourists, and not many people visit during the frigid months. However, there are plentiful excellent restaurants within close walking distance. Our favorite in the neighborhood was Chez l'Epicier. Another favorite a little farther afield was Pintxo (in the Plateau).

• Liked — Excellent service, location near great restaurants
  • Disliked — Uncomfortable bed
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TripsPlease
kingston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2008

my wife and i when to the hotel nelligan in old montreal
just let me tell you one thing the room was the best room id every stay in The people in the hotel from front desk to the people who cleaned the rooms where just wonderfull if you like food nice people and lots to see go there and just have a fun i cant wait to go back its all i think about love to see it in the summer so if your planing on going to old montreal pls stay at the nelligain on st paul
GARRY M DWYER
KINGSTON ONTARIO CANADA

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank rocketman853
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2008

The Nelligan really is that good...believe the reviews.

My best friend and I (female, early 30's) planned to spend 3 nights at the Nelligan, and ended up staying 4. Why, you might ask? Well, aside from the fact that the Montreal airport ended up being closed due to snow...we didn't want to leave! LOL

We arrived from the airport via taxi (approximately 20 minutes, no traffic) and were immediately thrilled with the hotel's location and lobby. The front desk staff was tremendous -- actually, *all* of the staff were helpful, friendly, and tremendous! The staff can provide wonderful directions and recommendations for shopping, dining, etc.

The Nelligan is in a great location. It's walkable to the nearest subway station, a few blocks away from the Notre Dame Basilica (a must-see, by the way!), and walkable to restaurants and quaint shops. Within a few blocks walk to the right (out of the hotel, I'm not sure of the east/west/north/south direction), we found many shops and restaurants. Also, to the "left out of the hotel" there are several shops.

It's in a safe neighborhood, and in my opinion, ideal for either a couple of friends or a romantic get-away.

We checked into our room, and immediately followed a staff recommendation for lunch, right down the street. We went to a little bistro, with friendly, funny waiters. I can't remember the name, but there was a deli counter (to buy meats/cheese and wine) and a tiny bathroom in the corner.

The room had 2 double beds, and was comfortably appointed. The bathroom was well-stocked with nice complimentary toiletries (and contraceptives, for purchase). Most importantly, it was clean.

There are 2 restaurants within the hotel, and you can get to both without going outside (key in December, mid-snow storm) one steak and the other was seafood/Italian. Both had good food and friendly service. They're both on the "splurge" side, but I've seen higher prices at hotels for a meal of far less quality.

The breakfast that's included with the room is a good quality: toast/bagels, coffee, fruit, hard boiled eggs, cereals, and pastries. It's servec in the bar area. There is a really cool seating option, these little enclosed private booths.

Check out their website; we were able to book a package that included accomodations, a CD, dinner for 2 at the in-house steak restaurant, and a museum/subway pass for less than the cost of a room for 3 nights!

Other random information:
- Hotel "decorates" in several places with pyramids of green apples. It took me 3 days to realize that they weren't plastic. LOL
- There was no clock in my hotel room. Use your cell phone.
- There was a CD player in the room
- I was able to fit my laptop into the in-room safe (always good to know when traveling).
- We ordered pizza one night, before we left. We were exhausted, didn't feel like steak or seafood...and just wanted to eat pizza. So, we got a recommendation for a pizza place for "where the college kids order pizza", ordered the pizza, and the bellman immediately brought plates with butter. We were outstanded with the service of the bellman, but never figured out what the butter was for?!?

• Liked — Staff, location, comfortable
  • Disliked — I can't think of anything, really. For those with dsabilities, the area in general might be complicated with the cobblestone streets and narrow sidewalks.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank SmileySnowman
Edgewater, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2008

Awesome location in beautiful Old Montreal. Exposed brick walls throughout the hotel make for a really cozy feel. The high quality linens and towels certainly add to the coziness. As great as the hotel itself was, the staff was even better. Jeanne at the concierge desk was extraordinarily helpful in helping us with dinner reservation as well as hooking us up with a snowmobile tour in Mont Tremblant.

I will be certain to stay here whenever I am back in Montreal.

Stayed December 2007