“A place you wont forget”
Review of Hotel Nelligan

Hotel Nelligan
Ranked #6 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed one night in a suite at the Hotel Nelligan. Great location in old Montreal, we loved the large room with the music, lovely decore and big bathroom. Friendly staff , nice breakfast. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: rooms on south side quieter and suite are very nice
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,243)

Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

What can I say? When we first entered the warm, inviting lobby, then when we entered our incredible room with soft classical music playing in the background and when we had a late snack at the connected bistro, superior comfort. We just completely relaxed and were taken to a great, tranquil place. A must when in Montreal.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed January 16, 2013

This charming hotel is ideally located in old Montreal. The staff are very friendly, efficient and professional. They clearly work hard to ensure guests have a consistently pleasant experience no matter what you are doing during your stay. As I entered my room, they had the lighting and room temperature just so, with classical music playing. The room itself was lovely with lots of character, including a brick wall and window that opened. Their restaurant is excellent and they have a surprising well equipped gym for the size of hotel.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Wow! This place is great! Super close to the airport and all of the important attractions in montreal. The restaurants, which were recommended to us by the front desk supervisor Mathieu, were excellent! They were also all close by, which was great considering the cold weather...The service was incredible and the whole staff was super helpful. Plus, on Christmas day, we woke to a small christmas stocking on our door knob. Can you say "all out"?

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We fled a more expensive and worse hotel into Nelligan thanks to a local referral and we are so grateful we moved. It is 1 block from the Basilica, 5 star location!This hotel has that warm inviting feeling as you walk in. There is always a friendly staff to greet you and they "really" try everything to make you feel comfortable. The room ( suite with fireplace) is the most elegant, warm, sexy room I've been in. Brick wall, wood blinds, great decor, wonderful bathroom with Jacuzzi for 2, walk in shower, great flow of hot water, very comfortable pillows and bed. Two well lit elevators and the lobby is very cozy. We sat on the leather sofas every morning to plan our day and in the evening for a drink. The bar is good, the breakfast could improve a little. I cannot finish before re-praising the friendly staff. You guys are awesome! We will be back. Montreal would not have been the same if had stayed somewhere else.

Room Tip: Suite with Fireplace is worth the extra $. You deserve this once in a while!!!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Our family of three stayed here over Christmas and loved everything about the hotel, from the spacious room, to the courteous and helpful staff, to the fact that it's named after Montreal poet Emile Nelligan. The hotel atrium was a comfortable place to relax by the fireplace with drinks and a cheese plate. (Best after a 2 hour walking tour in 16 degree weather.) We stayed in room 306, not having read the warnings in time about the street noise. It did get a little noisy around midnight or so but the revelry didn't last long and we all got a good night's sleep. We highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

This was my second visit to the Nelligan and it will be the last. When I booked the room for my December holiday , I spoke to the front desk about wanting a quieter room than the last visit, away from the street as Montreal is certainly a city that never sleeps( which is great, but I wanted some shut eye). I opted out of a suite because the only available suite was on the street side , so I reserved a smaller room, but I knew it would be quieter. Two days prior to my arrival, I received an email from the manager saying that I had been " upgraded" to a suite as their had been an "incident" in my reserved room and I would not be able to stay there. I assumed that because I had given the hotel specific instructions regarding not wanting to be street side that this would not be an issue. The room that they assigned us was precisely the very one that the reservations person and I had spoken of when I was making my initial reservation and I had opted out of this room (corner suite, street side).
the first night that I was there We got about 4 hours sleep and the second night about 3. The final night of our stay we were awakened so many times by street cleaners, partiers and cars and trucks honking that we decided to get up after trying to fall asleep and checked out without any sleep whatsoever! I have never not been able to sleep in a hotel my whole adult life! One can certainly expect, from time to time that you end up with a noisy neighbor or even street traffic noise until the wee hours, but this experience was the worst by far of any hotel that we have ever stayed in.
Be warned - hotel Nelligan is in the old port on rue St. Paul ( which is why we chose this hotel the first time) but we lucked out with the room assignment the first stay. The hotel lobby and restaurant and bar are pleasant and the rooms are clean, but make certain that you reserve a room away from the street and if they email you with a "free upgrade", beware you may not wish to take it for it may be one of the fabulous suites on the street!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank penelope1961
Hotel-Nelligan, General Manager at Hotel Nelligan, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I am sincerely sorry to hear that your experience with us was not up to your expectations and that you did not get the restful stay that you were hoping for.

I agree with you that we should have been more cautious when we assigned your room and verify if the possibility of honoring your request of a quiet room away from the street was available. I have not read in your review that you had addressed the issue to the Front desk after your first night. I am convinced that the team would have done anything to accommodate you and you wouldn’t have to endure the street noise during the entire stay.

I understand that we cannot change what already happened but the team and myself hope to have the opportunity to welcome you once again.

Guillermo Coronel