2,468 results
All reviewsfull kitchenfamily suitebagelshigh ceilingscontinental breakfastold montrealvalet parkingtop floorrooftop poollaundry roomdining tablerooms are hugewithin walking distancedowntown montrealminute walkone bedroom suitefront desk and concierge
Reviewed January 5, 2007

We stayed at the Square Phillips for New Years Eve 2007 after reading great reviews on TripAdvisor. The price was excellent, under $175 a night for a huge, clean suite with a full kitchen! The hotel is conviently located near Rue St. Catherine and the metro. It's walking distance from Old Montreal. The staff were very helpful. The rooms were equipped with free wired internet (you need a cable that you can get at the front desk). Simon, the concierge, recommended two great restaurants: Da Emma (Italian) and Chez Queux (French). There's a small gym (a few machines and weights) and a lap pool on the roof. All in all, a great value for the money.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank udavek
Reviewed January 4, 2007

Without a doubt the most surreally disrespectful customer service I have ever experienced in a hotel.
After I returned from my stay, I noticed an extra, unidentifiable charge on my credit card from the hotel. I called to inquire: I was told by the receptionist that it was a charge for the bathrobe "I took". When I explained to her there was no bathrobe in the room to begin with, and that I did not, in fact, take one home, her answer was: "We keep a tight inventory, so actually what you tell me is impossible." Direct quote. No other way to interpret that than calling me a liar.
The next day the manager called me. I told him the story and that I was quite upset with the way the receptionist had spoken to me. Instead of apologizing or immediately offering to fix the problem, he too, echoed the "we always check, so you must be wrong" accusation, going as far as to say that they had "proof" from their housekeeper's records that in fact the bathrobe had been placed in the room, but that today he "felt sorry" for me, so he would give me credit. At this point I went ballistic, for here was a manager now telling me that he, too, believed his seemingly infallible records over a paying guest who has spent over $2000 at the hotel over the past year, and that somehow I deserved pity rather than an apology. He then called ME disrespectful. Imagine that.
I would highly recommend visitors to Montreal to avoid the Square Phillips, unless you want to find yourself accused of something you didn’t do, and spending valuable time trying to receive fair treatment from a staff clearly unable to give it.
Ruined my trip, for sure.

28  Thank Halibou
Reviewed January 3, 2007

I stayed there on two separate occasions in December. Overall, a terrific experience and great value for the money (having paid around $124 for a studio). Rooms are very comfortable and stylish for an all-suite type of hotel (they make the building's columns a feature). The ceilings are high. Kitchen is really well stocked. Thermostat control system works well. Breakfast is basic and a bit depressing (commercial breadloaves and muffins) but OK. Staff overall was very warm and helpful with one exception at main desk who bordered on sarcastic. Also, I ended up initially billed for a higher rate for the second stay (without having been informed at the time of reservation at front desk). This ended up being resolved in my favor, with apologies, once I had left. All in all, this place truly deserves its top rating.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank Jacqueline D
Reviewed January 2, 2007

My friends and I stayed at the Le Square Phillips Hotel & Suites for my bachelor party back in August. We chose the hotel based on the reviews on tripadvisor, its spacious rooms and its proximity to all.

There were six of us and we got two deluxe junior suites that could have held another one or two in each room comfortably. The rooms were bigger than one bedroom apartments, with a large bathroom, furnished kitchen area, walk in closet space, and a very large bedroom. There was ample room for us to play poker while enjoying a bite to eat. And there was free internet access in the room, something most hotels like to charge $10 for each night.

The hotel was perfectly located within 10-15 mins walking distance of the nice restaurants and lounges in the old town, and the bars and night scene along St. Catherines. The hotel is situated just off of St. Catherines where most of the shops begin.

The staff was very courteous from the front desk to the valet.

I would highly recommend this hotel for even families or groups of friends. In fact, we're planning on staying there again for when we go to Montreal again for my friends bachelor party later in the year.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with friends
4  Thank Peter T
Reviewed December 31, 2006

I was in Montreal moving, yet again, one of my children attending university there.
To make it easier on ourselves we get a hotel room once done to have a shower, walk to dinner, get a good nights sleep and generally chill. This time we decided to try something right downtown.
The hotel has a great location of off St. Catherines St. in the core of downtown Montreal. The room was very spacious and clean. The staff pleasant and courteous. It was a nice to place to retreat to after a hard day moving.

It is good value for money. I would definitely recommend it to Montreal visitors, business or pleasure and will of course be using again next time it moving time.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family