“Excellent Hotel in Downtown Quebec”

Le Square Phillips Hotel & Suites
Ranked #10 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed January 24, 2013

First of all, my correspondence with Le Square was phenomenal. They were pleasant, personable, and incredibly helpful. Even though I was planning for a group visit with many friends, they were absolutely great at handling all my needs and questions.

Secondly the rooms are great as well. Each has their own unique view of the city and great amenities including a kitchenette and eating area. I loved the rooftop exercise area as well...what a view! It definitely kept me coming back each morning.

I'm definitely coming back for another visit.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Scott_McInerney
Write a ReviewReviews (2,325)

Reviewed January 21, 2013

En route from Mon Tremblant back to NYC, we were derailed by a snowstorm and spent the night in Montreal. We reserved two rooms at the Phillips hotel based on trip advisor reviews. Turned out to be a good move. Cool, chill hotel, very courteous front desk and concierge. We were awed by the size of the rooms. Basically, huge lofts, with high ceilings, extremely sleek and new, very quiet. The gym on the roof was top notch, as was the pool. No complaints here.

2  Thank MHoffmanNYC
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed based in reviews and were not disappointed. Rooms were spacious and with kitchen allowed us to keep costs down on our six week trip. Breakfast was basic- continental only - but again is a god send to have such an inclusion when you travel with kids. Rooms were tidy and clean - not the most luxurious decor but comfortable all the same. Valet was timely When required.

Hotel is steps away from st catherines blvd ( shopping paradise) and has easy access to a pharmacy and restaurants on foot.
Next street over is a restaurant called juliens - French cuisine and staff whO were entertaining we also highly recommend.
would stay again and recommend other too-

Stayed: December 2012
5  Thank lexibrat
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The hotel is in a great location. Rooms are large and done up well. But the check in left me with a very negative impression.I had called with a room request and was asked to call on the day of check in as that was when such requests would be entertained. So called again on the right day and was told my request was noted .Yet when I arrived at the hotel I saw the room was not as requested . Of course the hotel has no legal obligation to cater to requests which the guy at the check in was very quick to point out immediately. Most check in staff acknowledge requests and will apologize if they cannot do anything. But this guy did not even look down at his computer to check and talked like he was doing me great favor letting me have a room at all!.Frequent travelers look for a welcoming environment at hotels and staff which fails to understand the meaning of hospitality does their employer a disservice.

4  Thank MSb0st0n
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The suite was huge, clean and quiet and generally well equipped. (I agree with the previous comment on the toiletries.). It would also be good to have one gown per person.

Breakfast was very disappointing. The breakfast room was very small, so there were long queues, and the over-crowding led to several breakages while I was there. There was little choice.

The pool was very small, so I didn't bother going in it.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Quality time with one of my best friends, All we wanted was a clean room close to all the sites and thats exactly what we got! We Checked in on Mon Oct 24 and checked out Wed oct 26. After taking the train from Toronto we were issued Room 306. Upon entering we were a little concerned to be so close to the elevator but never heard a thing.

All dealings with staff were pleasant.

The room was perfectly adequate with a double bed, Spacious, A view of the street and a decent bathroom.

One piece of advice to the hotel....Please consider replacing the Aromae tolietries....They smell horrible and cheap!

We were only a blocks walk from the heart of Rue St Catherine (Main Tourist precinct for Restaurants and Shopping) and a 15 min walk to Old Montreal.

Montreal is a great city and this hotel is perfectly situated as it's really not far from anything.

Eaton Centre and the museums on Rue St Catherine are probably a 15 to 20 min walk.

If coming here again we would definitely stay here again if looking for a cheap, clean inexpensive hotel (I only paid $140 AUD a night)

Restaurant Tip: We really liked the Swiss place called "Alpenhaus" its a little further down a little bit away from the tourist strip on Rue St Catherine....But oh so good food!

Cant comment on the hotel pool as we never used it.

There was also a really good thai place next to "Beaudry" subway station too but the name escapes me

Check Out was efficient and swift. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Harvsman
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I choose Le Square Phillips because it could accommodate my family of 5 in a suite. We drove up to Montreal for a Christmas Day mini-vacation. We saw the high ratings on TripAdvisor and booked the family suite at a good price. Looking at the pictures, I was a little worried about what we were going to find, but I was delightfully surprised.

I would describe the hotel as no-frills... it certainly is not extravagant, but it is clean, modern, and well appointed. The ceilings are very high (12 feet?) which gives the rooms an extra dimension. From the pictures, the decor looks dated, but it is not. Everything is new, the design is obviously kind of retro by design.

The family suite was huge even without the vertical space. A separate bedroom, a kitchen area with a table for 6, living room with a pull out sofa, and another non-enclosed bedroom. It fit our family very well, as they had a lot of room to move around. The bathroom was clean and pretty large, but not a lot of storage/counter space.

The pool area was nice and clean. The pool wasn't huge, but it served it's purpose. There were great views from the rooftop area. Continental breakfast was part of the room rate, and it was pretty good. Cereals, muffins, frozen waffles, coffee and juices made up the bulk of it. The hotel restaurant was closed while we were there, so we did not get to experience it.

The only negative I can say is that they only have 1 type of pillow... a very soft one. My neck was killing me after the 2 nights, and they said they did not have any other firm pillows. They should add some to their inventory for people like me. I cannot be alone in wanting a firm pillow....

Overall I would say that Le Square Phillips was an excellent family hotel at a great value. I'm not sure I would stay there on a romantic weekend with my wife, but if we come bring the kids again, we will absolutely stay here. My kids were very vocal in saying that they wanted to start coming here every year for Christmas.... we just might start doing it.

6  Thank apmartin11