“Great location, noisy bar...”

Hotel Place d'Armes
Ranked #7 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed August 8, 2006

All the reviews I read seemed to indicate this was an excellent hotel. Which at times it was, location-wise, for example, and the old look and feel. However I was very disappointed when I found saw that there was a bar/lounge inside the hotel, which made for some very noisy nights, and it was a pain trying to sleep. Plus it was a nightmare trying to go up and down the elevators at night, it was packed with party-goers trying to get in and out of the bar/lounge.

It wasn't all bad, but if you like your sleep on vacations, then I'd be a tad careful. At least try and get a room which is on the top floor (we were on the floor right above the bar/lounge), and try to get it in the building other than the one which has the bar/lounge in it (which we tried to but all rooms were sold out).

Stayed: August 2006
3  Thank DCRocks
There are newer reviews for Hotel Place d'Armes

Reviewed August 4, 2006

My stay at this hotel was fantastic.

I was looking to get away for the weekend as a kick off to a week's vacation in the White Mountains of New Hampshire - thought Montreal would be a great way to do that. Researched several hotels on the Trip Advisor, AAA and other sites - and I felt as if the Place d'Armes seemed like the best value. It did not disappoint.

I received a slightly better rate booking through AAA after comparing everybody. Only glitch was the hotel seemingly did not have my reservation - I did have my AAA confirmation, so be sure to print and keep it with you if you book through them. Kara was the associate I dealt with at the hotel at check in and assured me there would be absolutely no problem. Placed me in the Executive Suite for the inconvenience of the slight delay and was extremely pleasant. Rene assisted and was equally as cordial, pleasant and helpful. This was consistent with my stay regardless of the hour of day. I manage customer service for a living. I would hire both of these fine people in a second. (Incidentally, everyone spoke very good English, which was so helpful as my French is limited to pleasantries)

Executive Suite was fantastic. If you are extremely picky, the carpet needed a shampoo, but the amenities and comfort were first class. I must suspect that the standard rooms are equally as comfortable based on my discussions with other visitors I met on my stay who were equally as complementary.

Place d'Armes includes a breakfast buffet - continental style - which was fine. Coffee was hot. Staff there were friendly. Great start to the day.

The restaurant transforms into a night club that stays open until 3am on weekends. This was PERFECT for how I wanted to enjoy Montreal. The interesting thing is that the noise that eminates from the club does not create a nuisance for those with rooms nearby. Well insulated. Great drinks. Beautiful people abound.

I could not thank Kim and Prescill enough for the time they showed me on Sunday night - both bartend at the club in the hotel and on Sunday night after the bar closed at midnight, took me to the "local" scene that tourists do not visit. Everyone I came across was friendly, sociable and just simply fun to be around. If either of you read this "thanks! You guys really added to my weekend!"

Jean-Phillip and Erik were helpful with the bags and car, too.

A feature I love about this hotel is its location in Old Montreal. It is within a leasurely walking distance to the riverfront, museums, and open market areas of the city. It is kitty-corner to the Notre Dame Basillica which is a must see. And lastly, only a very short cab ride to St Catherine / St Laurent streets where the best Montreal night life is. I unfortunately did not get to visit Crescent Street which is also a night spot - but I hear it is worth a look.

I did not try the restaurant for dinner. But I certainly hope to, because I will definitely book this great hotel again for my next trip to Montreal. After reading so many reviews and comparing prices, I was happy with my "value play". Great stay all around.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with friends
3  Thank Danno1767
Reviewed August 2, 2006

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for one night. We were in the penthouse suite. What is not to like?
A giant extended king size bed in a bedroom the size of a luxury home large master bedroom with a huge bathroom. The Jacuzzi bathtub itself is definitely meant for lovers, big enough for two with room to spare. A separate extra large shower stall (again super for those in love or who want to rekindle passion). A decorated living room with an eating area. A large hall with a comfortable working area complete with a large desk. A flat screen TV in every room including the main bathroom. A second bathroom (great for married folks when the wife is using the main bath when getting ready to go out) A nicely stocked bar. Floor to ceiling windows. We had a nice view of the city of Montreal. Outside our suite was a beautifully decorated barroom for use of the guests on the floor (you make your own cocktails in your room and can relax there, there is no bartender or stock in the room). a nice buffet breakfast is served downstairs in the morning. The cost was $250 Canadian (less than $215 US). What a bargain! Located in old Montreal for a european flavor.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bothofusluv2travel
Reviewed August 2, 2006

This hotel has a clean, crisp feel to it on the surface but we found it was more than a little problematic when we dug a little deeper. First, the positivies: large, comfortable, clean rooms - it does not have the feel of a boutique European hotel in the least (at least not in appearences). It is obvious they spent a lot if time and expense on the decor and they keep it clean so it was a pleasure to return to after a long day of walking and sightseeing. The staff is friendly - for the most part - you wouldn't be hard pressed to find attitude either. For example, trying to explain that I had been billed for 2 rooms when in fact I had only stayed in one seemed to have gone right through the maitre'd as if I had commented on the weather. You will find that some of the people that work the front desk are unable to handle anything more than routine questions and procedure. You MUST speak with a supervisor if you have a complaint. My husband and I complained about the broken air conditioner as soon as we checked in - we were told an engineer would stop by to fix it that day or we would be moved. The following morning - when nothing was fixed, we went back to the front desk to check the status - after furiously trying to find our original complaint in some sort of a log book for 5 minutes the woman asked us if we would like for someone to look at it. Frustrated and confused we said "yes" and were assured the engineer would be by to check it that day. Returning around 5pm that afternoon we found - again - nothing had been done. This time we spoke with the supervisor and explained our issues. We were immediately upgraded to a suite at the same rate and given a complimentary bottle of wine with the hotel's apologies. We were happy with that. Then came check-out. We were charged for an extra room which I had mentioned to the blase maitre'd on my way out. My husband, who checked out later did not realize I had already paid for a night - and the nightmare ensued. I called up for the next week explaining the issue. After being assured we'd be credited for a night's stay I saw no credit 2 weeks later. Calling up and explaining it again I find the woman I spoke initially had not made any action to credit my account. Finally - a month later - my card was credited. I would stay here again if we found the same great rate (Expedia)- for the comfort and proximity - armed with the knowledge to check everything three and four times.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank csviokla1
Reviewed July 19, 2006

My wife have visited Canada 14 times including 10 to Montreal. We have enjoyed each one but for the one we just completed in early July, we wanted a hotel close to the Old City area. Our AAA guide book listed several 4 & 5 star hotels, among them Place d'Armes on Rue St. Jacques. It was described as an attractive 44 room hotel with a price within our range. We booked 5 nights on line.
On arival we were astounded to learn that the smallish establishment had acquired 2 adjoning building, merged them & totally remodeled it into 135 rooms that were the most tastefully decorated, comfortable rooms we had ever stayed at in Montreal.

Besides the beautiful new appointments, there were 3 excellent dining rooms, a gym, bars, free breakfasts & perhaps the most pleasant & cooperative staff we ever encountered. We have travelled to several parts of the world but Canada is our favorite (also close, 1 hr, 20 mins. by air from Philadelphia.)In he past we have driven or rented cars there. This time we could walk to many of our favorite sites or take the excellent Metro system.

One small problem with our room was corrected within hours by the maintenance staff. We strongly endorse this hotel & look forward to returning in the future.

Stuart Lang
Huntingdon Valley, PA

Stayed: June 2006
5  Thank Stu Lang
Reviewed July 14, 2006

My husband and I just returned from our wonderful stay at the Le Place d'Armes Hotel in Montreal. The hotel is a boutique hotel with stylish and modern furniture and decorations admist a building reminiscent of the late 19th century. The Old Town location is perfect. You can walk to the cathedral, old port, Archeological Museum, Science Museum, many restaurants, and shops. Also the metro is one block away. The staff was very friendly and efficient. We were so impressed by our room (Superior with King) on the 4th floor facing the city. We got the VIP deal at $189 (Canadian) a night. The room was huge with a very nice, comfortable bed, and funky, cool furniture. There was plenty of space in the closets and drawers, very high ceilings, exposed brick, home theater system, robes, and slippers, and an electric fireplace. Everything was so clean and perfect. The bathroom was amazing (the size of it was reminiscent of my entire first apartment)! The sink was a work of art and the rainfall shower was so pleasant after a long day of walking in the sun. After reading other reviews and checking the hotel website I asked when I made the reservation (I first made it on the internet as some deals are only on the hotel website and then I called to add the specifics) were for the exposed brick, a room not on the first level, and a shower (the rooms either have the rainfall shower or a bathtub with shower). The hotel was able to give me everything I had asked for! The only two negative things I would mention which I have read on other reviews included some occasional noise on the street late at night from trash trucks and the nearby fire department and also one of the 5 pillows on the bed did have a slightly musty smell which I had read before. These things were so minor though that they did not affect our overall enjoyement and I am really a perfectionist! There was a complimentary breakfast every morning with croissants, pan au chocolat, coffee, juice, toast, bagels, fruit, cheese, and more. We would eat so much we were not hungry till the evening! The restuarant was beautiful as well. Every night from 5-7pm for all hotel guests there was a wine and cheese reception with delicious wine and cheeses with baguettes! It was so fun to hang out there at night with a drink to start the evening. The restaurant is a hot spot in Montreal and you can watch the elegantly and stylish young and the beutiful come in. The hotel is for everyone-we saw families with young/old chidren, singles, couples, and businesspeople. We also purchased the 3 day Museum and Metro pass which we highly recommend. It was a great deal! We took the metro quite a bit and went to 10 museums over 3 days. The pass can be purchased at the hotel and is $35 without metro or $45 with (I recommend getting it with the metro). We totalled what would have been the cost of the metro and museums we went to for the 3 days and it would have totaled about $200 for both of us and with the passes we paid $90 total. Our favorite museums were the Canadian Architecture and the Archeology Museum. The summer is great with many festivals and fireworks. We went to the Just for Laughs outdoor festival 2 nights and had a great time. Dinner in the Latin Quarter is fantastic. The restaurants/cafes are delicious and affordable. We spent our last day walking around the port and took an hour boat tour on the Le Petit Navreau-$14 per person and it is an electric boat which is good for the environement. It was romantic and relaxing.
I highly recommend Le Hotel Place d'Armes to any visitor to Montreal! It was a perfect stay and a very good deal!

• Stayed: July 2006
6  Thank KTBR
Reviewed July 11, 2006

Stayed at Place d'Armes over the new year and was pleasantly suprised. Originally had planned to stay at Hotel Nelligan but since they were booked they directed us to their sister property, the Place d'Armes.

We loved almost everything about this property. Beautiful rooms, wonderful fireplaces, huge bathrooms, great service. It is very close to the Old Town. It is a bit removed from the shopping district in Montreal though. Nevertheless, Montreal has a great subway and the hotel has a station just one block away. Noise was not a factor in my room, and it was New Year's as well.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a comfortable place to explore this great city.

Stayed: January 2006