“Amazing stay”

Ranked #6 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Summerland, Canada
“Amazing stay”
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights and loved the character and location of the building. The bathrooms were very "modern vintage" feeling. The room was quite clean and the bed was comfy.

Lots to see within walking distance. Two downfalls to this hotel (very minor) parking is very limited and they gave us a "free" coupon for two drinks at the bar (which was great) but they are for $11 max and all of the drinks were more expensive than that (so not really "free")

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank erinandkai
Jennifer F, Manager at Hotel Place d'Armes, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear erinandkai,

Thank you for sharing your review, we truly appreciate it. We are glad you had an amazing stay. I do apologize that we did not take the proper time to clairfy our services with you. We do offer a guaranteed valet service to all our guests, and this service gives you in and out access to the vehicule at all times during your stay.

We hope that we can accomodate you again soon, feel free to contact me directly.

Jennifer Fabris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
oshawa
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Mu husband and I stayed here this past weekend and I have to say I'm totally disappointed. We booked a jr suite with balcony 3 weeks in advance, the confirmation email described a spacious room with lots of brick walls. Well upon walking into out room we were surprised to see no brick and an average sized room at best. The bathroom however is phenomenal as well as the balcony. The rest of the room left much to be desired.
When called by the front desk to ask how the room was i explained that I wasn't pleased with the lack of brick walls seeing as that was part of the reason we booked this room, I was told there were no rooms left with brick walls and offered an upgrade to a suite with brick walls for an extra $20.00 daily. On top of the $28.00 per day for parking and the already over inflated price of the room to begin with, we declined.
Our room was not cleaned on day 2 either. I kept thinking they would come since we we're out and about all day, no such luck.
Make sure you don't untuck the blankets from the end of the bed because the sheets don't fit properly and you'll be touching the less than desirable mattress.
Upon checkout when asked about my stay I explained the room wasn't cleaned and we weren't happy with the room I was told well "jr suites don't have brick walls" when I said my confirmation email tells me there is lots of brick walls I was told "I know. I will have to talk to the computer guys about that because none of our jr suites have brick walls."
I am beyond less than satisfied that there was no compensation or discount offered for the fact that what we booked and told we were getting doesn't even exist! I would never pay to visit this hotel again.
It's a shame because so much of it was wonderful...the bath, the shower, the balcony, the location itself...the lobby.
Definitely left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank rolowalsh
Dear rolowalsh,

A sincere thank you for having taken the time to discuss the concerns mentionned in your review. I am glad we were able to speak and that I was given the oppurtunity to properly compensate you, as we should have done when you were contacted by our reception.

Again my most sincere apologies for not having you experience the true Le Place D'Armes hotel & suites accomodations and services we are usually recognized for.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

We did not rent a car for the weekend and it turned out the correct move, you are in walking distance to Old Montreal area and next to the Notre-Dame Basilica, went to the night light show at the Basilica which is done inside the church and is a must see. Back to the hotel I am a heavy internet user and I am listening online to a basketball game and every thing is working fast. I used my kindle online and the internet is fast. My wife loved the room and thought it was very romantic room. The bathroom was very nice as was the shower. They came by each night with two bottle of water and chocolates. The bed was comfortable. They have really good hot chocolate in the lobby at night. Bottom line is this is a wonderful hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank mahi2049
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

We stayed overnight on Valentine's day. The hotel was a little difficult to locate as part of the street was barricaded due to a fire or something in a neighbor building. To enter, you needed to go against the traffic on a one-way street, although it is a relatively a quiet street.

Check-in was simple and staff were very pleasant. To our surprise a complimentary drink up to $11/each was offered to us at the hotel bar resto.

We booked a superior king room. The room is quite large, very cozy linens, pillows and bed. The electric fireplace didn't work properly but it didn't really bother us. The washroom is spectacular! Very large shower (no bathtub), with nice amenities.

Overall a great hotel and great location, walking distance to many tourist attractions. Would return and recommend this hotel.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Linker61
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Location, Location, Location...This hotel is near everything. We were able to walk to most everything even in several feet of snow. In the midst of Old Montreal, all the restaurants and shops where close at hand. It was a short walk to Chinatown, and a nice 30min walk to the malls.
The suite was a great size, with a bedroom and living room with fireplace. Everything was very comfortable, the bathroom had a very large shower and large freestanding tub. Separate closets were a plus as we had a ton of winter clothing to hang.
We found the staff to be very helpful, especially since we spoke very little French. I would highly recommend getting a suite if at all possible as I can imagine some of the other rooms might be a bit smallish. The rate for the suite was reasonable, but it was the dead of winter, I'm sure the prices double in the spring/summer time.
Overall very very good place to stay!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank G M
Jennifer F, Manager at Hotel Place d'Armes, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear G M

Thank you for your wonderful review. Indeed we are a prime location for Montreal, we are glad you took advantage of that! Summer is a wonderful season also to visit! Hoping to see you then!

Reviewed February 11, 2014

First things first. We arrived at the hotel on a saturday late in the afternoon. We did not bother to check every detail of the room as we expected a 250$+/night hotel room to be perfect. When we got back to the room and wanted to go to sleep, we realized that the mattress was completely shot. Not just somewhat aged. What's more, there was a bar on the other side of the street and we could hear the outside crowd so well that despite being 4 floors up, we could make out some of the conversations. Both issues, to me, are unacceptable as a supposedly first-class hotel should not let such situations happen (ever heard of double or triple glass ?). That being said, we were promptly given another room (an uplevel suite) when both of us finally gave up trying to sleep.

On to the new room. In the first room, I had already noticed that the matteress was probably not of the best quality to start with (think low-budget department store) and was definitely shorter than a normal king-sized one should be. That's an issue when you ask and pay for one. The new room's matteress was of the same quality (though not broken) and ended up being very uncomfortable. What's more, the (un-)fitted sheet used on the bottom is not long enough and leaves your feet touching the decidedly unpleasant matteress "pad" beneath. Again, a problem when you're 6 feet tall and using the full length of the bed. As the night progresses, you end up just tearing out the whole sheet anyway just by moving your feet since you're not sleeping anyway. This would not be as much of a problem if you had a real king bed.
Pillows are of a weird cylindrical shape and made of what seems to be synthetic feathers. They just end up flat as you've squeezed any cushioning away towards the ends as soon as you've rested your head on one of them. Not my cup of tea, though my significant other found no issue with them. An alternative would have been nice, especially in a high-end hotel.

What was supposed to be a romantic night with a long, relaxing morning in bed ended up being a get-up-with-the-sun-and-and-leave-as-soon-as-you-can 4-hour (between the both of us) night.

Other annoyances: slow wi-fi (you have to pay extra for regular wi-fi), no coffeemakers in the rooms (!!!??!!) and limited multimedia interfacing (not everybody owns and Apple product...), which is a bit of an issue considering that we're in 2014..., busted speaker for the home theater system, broken outlets (try finding an access elsewhere in the room - had to go behind the TV and unplug it). Again, we're in 2014....people have electronic devices to plug in nowadays.

None of this would have been terrible execept....that we're talking about a high-end hotel ! In a 75$/night motel on the side of the highway, none of this would have surprised me. Though I would not have slept any better, I'd have understood. But we are talking about what is supposed to be one of the best hotels in town and the price reflects that. To me this is unacceptable. I have never, ever had any such experience in similar hotels or, for that matter, in "lesser" establishments. With price comes expectations.

Oh, parking is ridiculous. They charge 28$/day. Do it yourself and park 2 minutes away for half that. Go figure...

On the bright side, the rest of the room was rather nice and quite spacious, though more business-nice than anything else. The bathrooms are beautiful and the showers are spectacular (despite some water pressure issues). Cleanliness is also as expected.

In they end, they did not charge us for our stay but this does not change the fact that the quality of the sleeping accomodations is way below what is expected for a hotel that would charge half what they do. Isn't that the fundamental mission of a hotel ? We would much rather have spent our money and slept well than have barely slept for free. Never again.

Room Tip: Pick a room in a different hotel.