“Beautiful hotel, beautiful location”

Hotel Place d'Armes
Ranked #8 of 166 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I have nothing but positive comments to make about my stay at Le Place d'Armes Hotel & Suites. I felt like I had an apartment in Montreal for the three nights that I stayed there. I loved the cathedral ceilings and the ultra modern bathroom. I did find it odd that there was no coffee in the room. Regardless, this just "forced" me into one of the many coffee shops nearby. Great place....I would stay here again in a heart beat.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Walkersmoon
Write a ReviewReviews (2,543)

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I travel to Montreal often and have moved from one hotel to another. This property is a nice gem. while large for a old-port hotel, it has a lot of character - great service and the rooms/amenities are fantastic. The concierge service is top notch. The hotel is inviting, romantic, comfortable and chick. I love the design of the rooms and the bathrooms. The location is fantastic if you are visiting Montreal for the first time or if you don't mind walking a bit to the nearest subway station.

The heat/AC is sometimes hard to control. Not the easiest of things to get the room to the temperature you like. So you have to surf it with the electronic fireplace. Also, the DVD players do have sound input if you bring your cables and plug your iPod in and use the 5.1 Bose speakers (which beats the iHome radio that they already have).

Room Tip: The standard rooms can be a little small... The Jr suites are fantastic. Check their website for off...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank ramsesm
MathieuLarochelle, General Manager at Hotel Place d'Armes, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

dear ramsesm,

We are delighted to be your favourite place to stay in Montreal, and hope to continue to be throughout your next accomodations. We thank you very much for your review, and are hoping to see you again soon. Remember if ever you have any issues with any of our in room amenities or services, let us know and we will be delighted to assist you.

Regards,

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Rather than a typical large boxy, uniform hotel, nice to stay in a hotel with lots of character. My room was on the seventh floor and was actually on two floors. On the first level was King bed and master bathroom. On the upper level was a small sitting area with couch, chairs, and TV along with a work desk, and a half bath. I was alone on business but room would have been great if I had my wife and she wanted to sleep in downstairs while I worked upstairs. Rooms are very comfortable and well appointed. Hardwood floors which was a bit unusual. Staff was very accommodating. The location of the hotel is very good for either business in the area but also for sightseeing with lots of restaurants and boutiques close by, and close to the old quarter of the city.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Rob C

Dear Rob C,

Thank you for your review, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We encourage you to try and visit our city in the summer months where you will also be able to take advantage of our roof top patio. Feel free to contact us for our Best Available Rates.

Regards,

Reviewed March 18, 2013

This hotel has great character, spacious rooms and bathrooms, pleasant staff and a great surrounding area for tourism. We traveled to Montreal on St. Patrick's Day Weekend for the UFC Fight at the Bell Centre. We got a great deal through the hotel's website for two nights, one night at half off. The hotel is three buildings connected to each other. We had a junior suite on the third floor. The room did not have much of a view, but made up for it in character and comfort. Spacious area with a king sized bed, sitting area with chairs, desk, couch, entertainment center complete with fat screen TV, DVD player, surround sound and mini bar. The ceiling in the room were approximately 20ft and had three large floor to ceiling windows. The room was darkened plenty by curtains and wood blinds. The hotel had a bar adjoined to it with pleasant staff and it came alive at night with a DJ. There was also valet parking. The surrounding area is Old Montreal with plenty to see by walking. Shopping District is a ten minute walk away, the subway is easily accessible as well as an underground walkway to the fun parts of the city (really helped in cold weather). WIFI in the hotel worked fine, nice pool table off the lobby to kill some time and the bathroom for our suite was fantastic. Spacious glass paneled shower, jacuzzi tub and never ending hot water with good pressure. Would recommend to anyone and it had better charm and character than staying in traditional hotel chain.

Room Tip: If you find a deal on the suites, they are worth the money.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend getaway. The hotel is beautiful! The building is very old on the exterior, but the interior has been completely modernized. The staff was very friendly, and spoke english well, and check-in was fast. Our room was beautiful and upon walking in, the electric fireplace was on and music was playing. I loved that the room had an iPhone docking station/alarm clock, very convenient. Very nice decor, and a large bed, flat screen and sitting area as well. My absolute favourite part was the shower! I have never seen such a large gorgeous shower like it before....complete wall of glass and tile, very nice!

My only complaint would be about the sound from the heating unit. The room was warm, so we turned off the heat altogether and the sound from the ventilation was still very loud even after we shut it off. I had no problem sleeping because of the sound, but it kept my husband up for a little bit at night. Unless you are a light sleeper, the sound probably wouldn't bother you at all.

Upon check-in, we were given a voucher for 2 complimentary cocktails in the lounge. We went to the lounge around 10pm and it was a very cool, modern atmosphere with a DJ and purple lights. The bartender told us the voucher was good for drinks valued at up to $11 (which there really are not many drinks at or below that price). We were fine with that though because she told us upfront and said we could pay the difference. I ordered a raspberry dirty martini which was really good! However, had I not had the voucher I probably wouldn't have had more than the 1 drink in the lounge because the martini itself was $13. Overall, very unique atmosphere in the lounge, we enjoyed it.

If you're wanting to pick up your own liquor/beer, there is an SAQ (liquor store) about a block away from the hotel on Rue Notre Dame & Rue Saint Sulpice. Most convenience stores and grocery stores also sell liquor & beer until 11pm. There is a minibar in the room, however the bottles are pretty expensive ($35 for a small bottle of gin that you can get for about $16 at a liquor store).

There's a lot of construction going on near the hotel, so it's a bit hard to get to, but is in a nice area and close to lots of things (Notre Dame Basilica is a 2 minute walk away).

We didn't have breakfast at the hotel, but went to a place called "The Mon Cafe" which was about a 5 minute walk away and very highly recommended on other review sites. It's a quaint little place that had fantastic breakfast!

The valet parking was $28/night which is about average pretty much anywhere in Montreal at a hotel. It was well worth it though because of the construction & one way streets, it would have made parking difficult had it been up to us to find parking and try to navigate the construction and one way streets to get to the parking garage.

Overall, it was a wonderful hotel and I would highly recommend!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank amcs76
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Beautiful architecture and design in common areas and room (including jacuzzi, chimney, etc.), attention to details, friendly staff, generosity, great location in old Montreal, and trendy restaurant / lounge just a few floors beneath. We couldn't ask for more for our snowy wedding anniversary escapade in Montreal.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My family stayed here on the "kids in the city" package which was a great value. Convenient location, comfortable room and wonderful service all around. Complimentary continental breakfast, milk and cookies turn down service and free Wifi made for a very comfortable stay.
The location allowed for easy walking to Notre Dame, the Archaeology Museum, shops and restaurants despite it being the middle of March when we stayed. Service was top notch and very welcoming; returning from our adventures around the city and beyond always made us feel like we were coming home.
Would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family