My husband and I stayed here for a weekend getaway. The hotel is beautiful! The building is very old on the exterior, but the interior has been completely modernized. The staff was very friendly, and spoke english well, and check-in was fast. Our room was beautiful and upon walking in, the electric fireplace was on and music was playing. I loved that the room had an iPhone docking station/alarm clock, very convenient. Very nice decor, and a large bed, flat screen and sitting area as well. My absolute favourite part was the shower! I have never seen such a large gorgeous shower like it before....complete wall of glass and tile, very nice!
My only complaint would be about the sound from the heating unit. The room was warm, so we turned off the heat altogether and the sound from the ventilation was still very loud even after we shut it off. I had no problem sleeping because of the sound, but it kept my husband up for a little bit at night. Unless you are a light sleeper, the sound probably wouldn't bother you at all.
Upon check-in, we were given a voucher for 2 complimentary cocktails in the lounge. We went to the lounge around 10pm and it was a very cool, modern atmosphere with a DJ and purple lights. The bartender told us the voucher was good for drinks valued at up to $11 (which there really are not many drinks at or below that price). We were fine with that though because she told us upfront and said we could pay the difference. I ordered a raspberry dirty martini which was really good! However, had I not had the voucher I probably wouldn't have had more than the 1 drink in the lounge because the martini itself was $13. Overall, very unique atmosphere in the lounge, we enjoyed it.
If you're wanting to pick up your own liquor/beer, there is an SAQ (liquor store) about a block away from the hotel on Rue Notre Dame & Rue Saint Sulpice. Most convenience stores and grocery stores also sell liquor & beer until 11pm. There is a minibar in the room, however the bottles are pretty expensive ($35 for a small bottle of gin that you can get for about $16 at a liquor store).
There's a lot of construction going on near the hotel, so it's a bit hard to get to, but is in a nice area and close to lots of things (Notre Dame Basilica is a 2 minute walk away).
We didn't have breakfast at the hotel, but went to a place called "The Mon Cafe" which was about a 5 minute walk away and very highly recommended on other review sites. It's a quaint little place that had fantastic breakfast!
The valet parking was $28/night which is about average pretty much anywhere in Montreal at a hotel. It was well worth it though because of the construction & one way streets, it would have made parking difficult had it been up to us to find parking and try to navigate the construction and one way streets to get to the parking garage.
Overall, it was a wonderful hotel and I would highly recommend!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Le Place d'Armes features 80 rooms and 53 suites, including six studios with private terrace and five large penthouses where the decor blends contemporary design with ancient architecture. The three historic buildings housing Le Place d'Armes Hotel & Suites all date back to the late 19th century. These regal structures were originally home to some of the pre-eminent businesses of the time, and their architecture recalls an era devoted to unmatched craftsmanship and detail. Hotel Features: - 6 meeting rooms and a modular ballroom that can accommodate up to 350 people, with natural light, stone or brick walls and equipped with comfortable furniture - 2 restaurants and a spa - Rooftop Terrace ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Place d'Armes reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Place d`Armes Hotel And Suites
- Le Place d`Armes Hotel Montreal
- Le Place d Armes Montreal