“Very nice hotel in great neighbourhood.”

Hotel Place d'Armes
Ranked #6 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Toronto
“Very nice hotel in great neighbourhood.”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I stayed one night in this hotel and was very pleased with the room. It was very large and beautifully appointed. I had a King room with a fireplace and a rain shower.

The spa was great. It was empty the day I visited so I had the entire Hammam (steam room) to myself! When I arrived home the next day, I could still smell the lavender in my clothes which was very nice.

Restaurant/room service was a disappointment. Menus on the website are totally out of date and there are only a few things to choose from that are very expensive. The veal burger should be renamed fat-burger (it was gross). There are tons of restos in the immediate area, though, that offer plenty of options. I'd heard the rooftop patio in the hotel is nice but given my stay was in February, it wasn't open.

I'd return to this hotel in a heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

Ok, the room was small but if you stay in old Montreal I suppose you have to expect that to a certain extent....just wish they charged a bit less too!!!! No real complaint there though.

What mad me irate was the lousy service in the restaurant. The food wasn't spectacular and they certainly charged enough for it! That said, I just couldn't get past the lousy service. Slow and rude. I waited more than 15 minutes to have someone acknowledge I was even there and then it simply didn't get better from there. Got a coupon for a free drink when I checked in...not worth waiting for

Stayed February 2013
2 Thank GuyfromOntario
Miami, Florida
Reviewed February 12, 2013

The location for this hotel is perfect since it is close to everything in Old Montreal and also near public transit. The linens, bed, bath products and bathroom were all outstanding. There was some noise from being in the center of Montreal but it was not bothersome, but worth noting if you are a light sleeper. the hotel areas are not very large but the room and bathroom were an impressive size. I would go back when I am in Montreal.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mexico
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Location is just excellent in old montal, The rooms... I thought they gave me a suite, Beautiful, big, cool design, you could see the bricks on the walls, the service was excellent, everyone had a smile in their face, i did not try the restaurants, they looked cool but i do not know about the food, the bar on the roof had a great view to notre dame.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 6, 2013

This is located very close to our Montreal offices and it has been a pleasure every time I have stayed there. Depending on whether you get the new building or old building there are some differences but all in all definitely a 4 start experience to me. My only one gripe is depending on the room your bathroom can be very small or it can be huge. It is totally hit or miss. 2 times I have gotten a huge room and bathroom and once a smaller room and bathroom. If you are expecting American sized rooms you will not get it here but the rooms are great in general. The restaurant and bar at the hotel are great especially in the blistery winters. I would recommend this for a romantic evening or a business trip. Not too sure about a family type vacation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
toronto
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice on business, our business travel agency gives it a 5 star, however I don't think I would. For me 5 star means your starting point is of the highest standard, and I don't see this is the case. The basic queen room is tiny and has a small stand up shower. Really to have a 5 star experience you need to upgrade your room to a king suite as a starting point. The bathrooms are huge, but not a great use of space - no counter space for toiletries. Wait for elevators can be long with cleaning staff having to move all their equipment and tying up the elevators. Door man may or may not be around. I will say the location is great, the building itself interesting, and the staff friendly and try hard to accomodate. The first time I stayed there was no hot water in the evening or in the morning and I had called to find out the scoop. Understandable so circumstances are out of their control - however at check out their was no inquiry as to 'how was your stay'. Not a horrible stay but nothing to encourage me to stay there again with so many choices in the city.

Room Tip: Upgrade your room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank sgc10
MathieuLarochelle, General Manager at Hotel Place d'Armes, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear scg10,

Thank you for reviewing Le Place D'Armes Hotel and Suites. We regret to hear that the Queen Sized room the agency may have reserved for you was not up to your standards. We invite you to visit our website and look at the various rooms and suites available that may better accomodate your needs. We will share your comments with our staff and ensure that our level of service is up to standards.

Regards,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Location was amazing.

Hotel Rooms were outstanding (Like a high end condo). Exposed brick. Vegas quality snacks and mini bar.

Service was outstanding. They upgraded our room with a Suite and gave us a complementary alcoholic beverage at their lounge.

Room Service and amenities were also outstanding. The King size bed was extremely comfortable and we had a complimentary bottle of wine and cookies from the concierge in our room.

I would honestly give them a 10.

Adam