“Nice Hotel, good location, puny rooms!”

Sofitel Montreal Golden Mile
Ranked #15 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 4, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Sofitel Montreal for two nights at the end of July, she for business, but I to tag along and enjoy the sites and sounds of Canada's greatest city. Sorry Toronto!

While I would definitely recommend this hotel, and it meets Sofitel standards, the room size was definitely inadequate. Indeed, our room - which was a deluxe suite - was no bigger than a regular room at the Best Western, and perhaps even smaller. And the regular rooms at the Sofitel - which I have read other complaints about on TripAdvisor - were probably closet sized!

Granted, everything about the room was nice, and clean, with an awesome bed/mattress, I just thought that the room was kind of puny for a hotel of this calibre, and for the deluxe "label". Perhaps that is typical of major centres, not sure - I hear the rooms in London or Paris are even tinier. So may be I just need to get out more?

Luckily we obtained an extremely good rate - $375 with taxes - for 2 nights from the Travelzoo website so I guess we can't complain too much, or may be not at all. But there was no free internet access. And while I suppose if you can afford to stay at a Sofitel paying for the internet should not be a problem, I thought that $15 per day was excessive, so I simply passed on it. $15 per day per room seems like a rip-off to me.

Other than that, and on the plus side, the concierge service was second to none, and extremely helpful - in both official languages.

So overall, I would still recommend the hotel - the location is very good for accessing most of the sites of Montreal, and literally a block or two away from the (must-see and free) Museum of Fine Arts.

It is also relatively close to the Peel subway station from which you can access most of the City (on a world class subway system - Toronto are you listening?!?), and it's only about a 20 minute drive from the airport, perhaps 40 minutes during rush hour!

If you want a nicer (and potentially more $$) alternative though, I would suggest the W Hotel in Montreal , which I stayed at 2 years ago. Absolutely top notch it was - in every respect - including room size, with a bathroom larger than some hotel rooms apparently....

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bfordtraveller

Reviewed August 2, 2010

3 of us booked one room with 2 beds. when we got there, they told me i had asked for 1 king bed and that's all they had. How could 3 people stay in one bed??? they told me that the hotel was sold out and they had no other options available. not even a room with a couch!! they ended up wheeling a COT into the room and sent us up a few cookies with an appology note. cookies and a cot in a 5 star hotel...are you kidding me??? they asked me if i had a confirmation email proving i booked that type of room, all i had was a confirmation number, they didn't ask me for my email address. what does it matter?? if the hotel is sold out it's sold out right? they said that if i was able to produce written proof then they would give me someone else's room. WORST experience i've had in Any hotel. The only nice thing about the room was the size of the bathrooms. Thats it.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 13, 2010

We stayed at Sofitel for 4 nights. We got to the hotel by taking STM 747 Express Bus from the airport. We bought the $7 pass at the airport exchange booth. The trip took about 30 mintues. Sofitel is 10 minutes walk from the bus stop. The hotel room and bath room are clean but quite small. There was not enough closet space for our two carry-on luggages. The room decor is centemperary with an IKEA kind of feel. The bed is comfortable and the room is quiet. I would rank the hotel at the same level as Hilton or Marriott. The business center is in a corner on the first floor with 3 PCs. The internet connection in room costs $15 per day. The hotel is close to Peel Metro station and St. Catherine shopping area. It is close to the Museum of Fine Art. There are a lot more restuarant on Rue Cresent. We bought the $17 3-day Metro pass to get around. You need to take metro to get to the old Montreal.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank TXwonderer
Reviewed July 2, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Sofitel for the Grand Prix weekend; the hotel is lovely. We would like to compliment the staff and in particular Simon, the concierge, and the afternoon doorman (I did not get his name). Simon selected three delicious restaurants in different locations each with a unique flavor. The locations were selected based on our desire to see the city and the race events of the night, Thursday - Old Montreal, Friday - close to the hotel, Saturday - close to the excitement of pre-race night. The Thursday afternoon door man that took our bags to the room provided helpful information; we have eaten at Vasco de Gamma for breakfast a few day. Our room (417) was clean, bright, large with had a king-size comfortable bed and a large bathroom with a shower and bathtub. The outdoor evening festivity and associated noise did not enter the room. The hotel is a short walk to the Metro and three blocks to the bus to/from the airport ($7 for the 747 bus + 24 hr. metro pass - a great deal).
It was a great weekend; it's expensive, but you get what you pay for a quality hotel and service oriented staff (from the maid to the lobby staff to the concierge to the management). This is our second stay at a Sofitel (Roma was the first) and we are hooked.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2010

we went to this hotel during our honeymoon trip .. it was the best hotel i have ever been too ,,, clean , quite, great location , great service and very nice people ..
its not expensive at all for what they offer ..
I definitly recommend it to everbody !!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 13, 2010

Great location. Quiet. Fast check in. Restaurant onsite nice but very pricey. Good bar for cocktails with view of Sherbrooke St. Comfortable hotel but service did not wow me. No turndown service. Overall good stay.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 3, 2010

This is a really nice hotel in a great location...we walked everywhere! The room was really nice, gorgeous bathroom, nice conceirge service. There is a really nice outdoor patio for drinks etc but I have to say I thought that $18 for one glass of wine or drink was REALLY over the top.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends