“Excellent service at Sofitel”

Sofitel Montreal Golden Mile
Ranked #15 of 166 Hotels in Montreal
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 20, 2005

I stayed here in May. I thought the location was excellent. My room was extremely clean and tidy each day i returned. The staff were very helpful and pleasant to deal with although the concierge was not always there when required or there was a bit of a wait. The free internet access was very handy. I have stayed in other Sofitel hotels and would definitely recommend this one.

• Stayed: May 2005
3  Thank Glasgowtraveller
Write a ReviewReviews (2,276)

Reviewed May 17, 2005

What a wonderful hotel!
Very European feel. From the moment I entered the lobby I was treated as the most welcomed guest.

I checked in and went to my room where I found myself surrounded in comfort and clean efficiency. The concierge didn't even raise an eyebrow when my empty tummy insisted I find a McDonald's or something and asked for directions. They have apples at the desk for guests to enjoy and the lobby is spacious and well decorated.

The location is ideal for those with business to accomplish, and not too far from the scenic Port Area.

I stayed for three days and enjoyed every moment.

The meeting rooms were well equipped and the food was amazing.

The beds are heaven. The lack of a coffee maker in each room was the only thing I would wish for.

They even have internet access free to guests in a room off the lobby.

Wonderful Place.

• Stayed: January 2005, traveled on business
8  Thank Scuba
Reviewed May 14, 2005

I've stayed at the Sofitel several times over the past few years. The one problem that I've always had is service. I go to Montreal on business and stay anywhere from 3 to 10 nights at a time. Everyone from the front desk to houskeeping have an indifferent attitude toward the guests 7 out of 10 times. I've stood at the desk waiting to ask a question and waited while the doorman, desk staff and bell staff had a long personal conversation before someone finally, rather grudgingly, helped me. On the good side, the hotel is fairly new and decorated in deco style. Beds are very comfortalbe and baths are marble with separate shower and large,deep tub. (deluxe room) Large closets and the usual chair/ottoman finish the simple and clean decor. Houskeeping is spotty and all the little things that make a 4 star hotel a 5 star hotel slip away. Hard to get service in the resturant, that serves average food. Montreal is a real food town and you do much better walking to any of the many excellent local places. The staff is almost universally young and badly trained. I stay or the Omni and the FourSeasons trained staff there could run rings around these people. The locals all share the same low opinion of the staff and the hotel in general. You can do much better

• Stayed: June 2004, traveled on business
7  Thank earlybrass
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 21, 2005

Use to be a regular guest somewhere else(the vogue), but I had to try the sofitel and I was just amazed by the entire hotel. I had a nice junior suite on the 17th floor with a great view of the mont-royal and olympic stadium tower. The bathroom was so large :2 sinks, large oval/roman bath, large rain shower (we could fit almost 5 persons the shower!) and separate toilet. The sofitel bed is really like sleeping on a cloud, didn't want to get up in the morning!! My only complaint for the suite will be the sofa, very small, low and not too confortable, but the suite itself was large and clean. The regular rooms must be smaller but nice too. If you order room service try the lobster spring rolls, so good! I had to order a second portion !!(as an appetizer).
The entire staff is really friendly from doorman to barmaid. At check in, when I turn to go take the elavators, a manager welcomed me with my name and holded an elevator for me, I was chocked in a good way of the quality of service and how did he knew my name, he was not even at the front desk!! Location is really good, in a nice "chic" part of downtown. Will certainelly return!

• Stayed: March 2005, traveled on business
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 3, 2005

I took my Aunt and daughter out for lunch at the "Renoir" in the Sofitel hotel. The service in the restaurant was excellent. The food is quite pricey but tasty for the most part. Lunch cost just over $150 plus tip. No children's menu. Valet parking for lunch was $8 plus tip.
Several days later my daughter and I stayed at the Sofitel Hotel while she had time off from school. There is a very large and beautiful stained glass in the lobby. The Hotel has paid alot of attention to the bedrooms and beds. Makes for a great night sleep. The room we stayed in was small but comfortable. The shower with a large glass door was spacious with an oversized shower head in the ceiling for rain effect. The RogerGallet soap supplied, was a wonderful treat. This is a nice place to stay for a business trip to Montreal. Nearly all of the hotel staff were very professional and helpful. There are no special welcome considerations or treats for children as my kids have become accustomed to in the Loews "Vogue Hotel on Mountain Steet.

Reviewed March 15, 2005

The new (in the last year or so) Sofitel in downtown Montreal is a FABULOUS place to stay. The rooms are like mini-suites with large rooms and great picture windows. The bathrooms are fabulous--two showers and a tub and all enclosed in glass---marble countertops, etc. The beds were all lined with 1000 count sheets and down comforters. The service was wonderful. Everyone knew our name, the concierge, the doormen, and we were just tourists. They bent over backwards for us, making dinner reservations, shying us away from some dives of places to eat, and they also made arrangements for our friends who lived in Montreal to park their car while they visited us in the hotel. The bar in the hotel is superb.

9  Thank andrewjv
Reviewed February 28, 2005

The hotel itself was nice enough, however I would not rate it as a 5 star or even a 4 1/2 star hotel. The check in was very quick as my business had direct paid for my stay the hotel aruthorized $500. on my credit card for incidentals.....which was not needed......a couple of hundred sure but $500.00 seemed a little steep. Well it did until I saw the room service and restaurant prices...:( $16.00 for a Hot chocolate and Baileys was crazy considering it was a inferior tasting chocolate mix.

The first morning I awoke I came down with a horrible flu. I tried waiting until housekeeping came to make up the room until I went to bed but when it was 2 in the afternoon and they still had not come to clean I phoned Housekeeping and explained my problem within one hour they sent a cleaner who quickly cleaned but did not replace the glasses.......

The beds were very very comfortable and the down quilts a nice touch..... but I wondered if they cleaned the duvet covers regularly as when I first walked into the room I saw a smudge on the cover.

The bathroom could have used more counter space and the tub was very very small but the shower was lovely :)

The service was a l ittle on the slow side and truly I am not sure that I will be using this hotel again....surely for the money they command there are nicer places with more polish in Montreal???

• Stayed: January 2005, traveled on business