“Pros and Cons”

Hotel Faubourg Montreal
Ranked #71 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed February 27, 2014

First the pros, the hotel is in great location. You can walk to so many places from there. The rooms are suites and it was great to have some separation when my husband was needing to do a bit of work and I could be in a separate room. Although we didn't cook in it was handy having the kitchen. Although tired, the room was clean and the breakfast was fine.
Now for the cons. When we checked in we experienced several problems, the phone did not work and the remote control for the TV did not either. It took a while to get these issues resolved. Next our toilet flooded the bathroom and fortunately we were able to shut off the water as it took TWENTY minutes for someone to come to our room after we called and water was already escaping the bathroom despite our efforts with towels. The fire alarm went off at 3:10 am which was not much fun on a cold winter's night. And we could definitely smell cigarette smoke in the halls at different times. Yuck!! The front desk always seemed to be understaffed and we had to wait quite a while several times to talk to someone there.
So would I recommend it? Yes if you want basic clean accommodation in a great location. Do not expect great service.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank chuckandnance
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Faubourg Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Dear chuckandnance,

We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. Nevertheless, we’re sorry for any inconvenience you experienced because we did not live up to your expectations. Though we would prefer you had a better experience, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts, and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed February 21, 2014

I read some sketchy reviews on this hotel (after I booked) and I was very nervous before we arrived...and well once we checked in we were MORE than pleasantly surprised. I wish I had a review (like the one I am writting now) to set the bar straight for me to know what my hotel was all about.

The hotel rooms are great. Kitchenettes, separate bedroom, living room and balcony. Yes the walls need a few paint touch-ups and the carpet could use a shampoo - however the bed and linens were extremely clean as well as the bathroom, kitchen and everything else in the hotel room. (and I am a neat freak!!) I was very cozy here. :)

Old Montreal is about 10 minutes walking distance in front of hotel - and downtown surrounds the rest of the hotel (behind and beside). Free breakfast is great! Yes, paper plates - but quality of food is awesome. Pancakes, eggs, cheese omelettes, sausages, yogurt etc. Didn't feel like we were "without" at all.

I would visit this hotel in a heartbeat.

** Winter Hint ** If you visit Montreal during the winter/spring season - bring your waterproof boots. Sidewalks are wet and slushy. If you're sight-seeing for the day your feet will be wet if you dont have the right boots! :(

We LOVE Montreal!

Room Tip: Make sure you have a kitchenette and ask to not be on a floor with "University Partiers"
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank B-Town_Girly
NatashaFOM, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Faubourg Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dear guest,

It is a great pleasure to read your review, as you have justly outlined the strong sides of the Holiday Inn Express and Suites Downtown Montreal. That being said, the purpose of your review was to share your actual experience, as well as give some hints to those who are still planning their trip to Montreal. We are genuinely happy that you were satisfied with our services.
I allow myself to encourage all of our future guests to choose our property as their next destination, as we do our best to live up to your expectations.
We would like to thank you for this review and hope to see you come back to us soon.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

The hotel is clean and it has all your basic necessities. The room I occepied was like a condo type lay out. It has a living room, kitchen, bathroom & bedroom.
It is quiet and very private. Make sure to booked your reservation with a car parking because Parking at Downtown Montreal is very expensive. You pay at least $20/day. The hotel parking is located underground. If you drive from Levesque St, you turn right from the corner of the Hotel building and turn right again at approximately 20 meters and you can find the entrance of the parking. I think this is the most convenient way if you have a car and not to worry about security and parking spots.
The Chinatown is approximately 2 blocks away from the hotel. When I visited there, there's not much to choose within Chinatown. I would rather explore the center of the downtown instead.
The room is clean and the housekeeper is always prompt with their cleaning schedule. The check in counter tend to be crowded during peak hours, since there is only 2 personnel accomodating the check in.
If you are traveling from US, be prepared to get lost with your GPS since the street names will hardly described on the gadget. Maybe I need some map upgrade or purchased the Canada GPS maps.
There are a lot of restaurants to explore within the area and the street Levesque is pretty much a main street but not congested. Be prepared to detours, since there are a lot of street repairs especially on weekends. Don't worry if your concern of French Language barrier, most Montreal people or Quebecois are fluent in English. They are very helpful and warm people regardless of their ethnic origin. Overall, Montreal is nice to visit...it has relaxed, laid back atmosphere.
I love Montreal and when I come to visit again, I will definitely stay in Holiday Inn Express!

Room Tip: Make sure to booked the room with parking to save money if your are driving. The Levesque Side I thi...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
NatashaFOM, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Faubourg Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Dear guest,
We are very grateful for this detailed review of our property. Not only you have shared your experience in the Holiday Inn Express Downtown Montreal but you've also given some tips for those who are planning their future journey. You are absolutely right when you mention special discount rates which include parking (ex. Stay and Park rate). As well, our great location gives the guest an advantage of being in the heart of this wonderful city of Montreal, close to many restaurants and different attractions.
We would like to sincerely thank you for your stay.
We look forward to seeing you return to us soon.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

We are here for a gymnastics competition. This is our first visit to Montreal. My daughter shared a room with a couple teammates and stayed at the competition’s official hotel. I chose to stay downtown where I can do some sightseeing. The Holiday Inn Express is close to both the St. Laurent and Champ de Mars metro stations. I can easily catch the #55 bus to get my smoked meat sandwich or the #747 bus to/from the airport.

I got a room on the 6 floor – nothing fancy, spacious, and clean. Breakfast buffet had good varieties … milk, yogurt, cereals, waffle, omelet, sausage, etc … My daughter came over and visited me on day 3 and told me her hotel room is old and small, out of the way, and already experienced a couple black outs. Her hotel room rate was almost twice as expensive as this Holiday Inn Express and no breakfast was included.

Last thing I want to mention is its front desk. Being a first time visitor to the city, I asked them everything from shopping malls, McGill University, bakeries, public transit info, dining recommendations, supermarkets, etc. Everyone I engaged was friendly and helpful (especially Roberto) … and they gave me direct and no non-sense answers. I enjoyed the city and my stay very much. Thank you.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Natasha L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Faubourg Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2014

Dear guest,

With a genuine pleasure we all read your feedback. We want to thank you for this amazing evaluation of our service.
I have personally shown this message to all the front desk agents and, of course, to Roberto!
There is nothing more valuable for us in the Holiday Inn Express Downtown Montreal, that a happy guest who enjoyed his stay in our hotel.
We would like to thank you once again! Please come back to us and we will serve you as good as the first time... and we will even try better!

Reviewed January 27, 2014

As I think a few previous reviewers have observed, this place can appear to be a little tired around the edges and in need of some updating.
That said, it is in a good location and represents excellent value for money.
My room had a bedroom, lounge with kitchenette and a bathroom and both the bedroom and the lounge had large TV's. I did not use the kitchen, other than to make coffee, but from the signs it would appear that kitchen implements, plates etc were available from reception.
The staff were really friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was a help yourself buffet included in the price.
For the price paid (and lets face it no major city is really cheap!) it would be impossible, in my opinion, to suggest that this hotel was not good value for money.
If I am ever back in Montreal again, I would not hesitate to go back.

Room Tip: My room was very quiet, facing the rear, rather than the main street.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear guest,

We sincerely appreciate you feedback.
Our goal in the Holiday Inn Express and Suites Downtown Montreal, is to always do our best to provide an exceptional service to our guests.
When we succeed - there is only happiness and joy for us all to know that our guest is happy!
As you have mentioned our hotel is very well situated and such services as breakfast always help our customers feel more at home when staying with us.
We will be looking forward to seeing you in our hotel soon, so please come back to us again.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I stayed at the holiday inn Montreal express and felt like i was at home. The customer service was amazing and they stood on there head to accommodate us. Are room was having a bit of a heating problem. ( it was also -40 in Montreal every where was cold ) So we called customer service and a Gentleman called Renat who was the manager at the time did his best to accommodate us with our heating problem. Renat was so kind and put the customer first by taking the heater he had in his office and gave it to us. Renat was willing to give us his heater and put the customer first. That is true customer service skills and i was thankful to meet someone who works in the hotel industry who knows the true meaning of customer service. Giving a heater to customers in -40 weather shows what type of service to expect at the holiday inn express downtown in Montreal. It is also located downtown near everything and a 2 min walk away from china town. I loved this place i left with a smile on my face :)

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank worldexplorer981
Natasha L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Faubourg Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate your choice of Holiday Inn Express and Suites Downtown Montreal.
In any weather, at any time, we are doing our best to insure our guests feel comfortable in our hotel.
We take very seriously all remarks made by you during your stay. It may concerns all aspects from room temperature to quality of service.
By outlining our strong sides and those we have to better you contribute to the improvement of the genuine guest experience.
We are very grateful for that.
Our whole staff (including myself) will be happy to serve you again!

Reviewed January 10, 2014

We stayed at this hotel over the winter holiday. The room is spacious and comfortable. We booked the 1 queen bed suite. The room feels like a 1 bedroom apartment with a kitchen minus the oven. The hotel is close to Chinatown which was convenient. It is also about 3 blocks away from a shopping mall with a grocery in it. On the opposite direction, It is about 2 blocks from St. Denis which is restaurant row. The hotel offers a hearty breakfast so we are happy about it. The parking garage is in the basement. Spots are tight but expect that from an urban area. It is accessible from the lobby of the hotel so no need to go outside after parking the car. Overall, we are happy with our stay.

• Stayed: December 2013
NatashaFOM, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Faubourg Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Dear Guest,

We are thankful for this wonderful evaluation of the Holiday Inn Express and Suites Downtown Montreal.
We are very happy you appreciated the hotel's downtown location, a good breakfast as well as our spacious rooms.
There is nothing more inspiring for us, the hotel staff, than knowing that we succeeded at our work. We are devoted to our guests and take very seriously our role to serve you well. Our ultimate goal is your complete satisfaction and nothing less than that.
We will be very happy to see you here again, whenever you visit this wonderful city of Montreal.
Until then, truthfully yours,