“Showing it's age”

Hotel Faubourg Montreal
Ranked #70 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed October 15, 2013

OK location for sightseeing, breakfast was the usual fare. No real complaints other than the room and hotel overall was showing it's age and could really use updating. Room had a full kitchen with a full sized refrigerator which we had no use for as we only stayed 2 nights. Staff was very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Natasha L, Front Office Manager at Hotel Faubourg Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback we really appreciate you taking the time to do so.I'm happy tohear that you enjoyed your stay with us,I Agree that our room needs some attention I'm happy to inform you that we are in the process of renovating our property.

Hope that you will choose to stay with us on your next visit .

Best Regards,

Reviewed October 8, 2013

I came to Montreal on a shopping trip, and we didn't want to spend a lot on a hotel. We booked a room with two Queen beds for a low price in the downtown, and just hoped it wouldn't be gross. I was very impressed with this hotel. Our room was big and had a full kitchen - we didn't use it, but it's good to know if I'm ever coming back to Montreal for an extended stay. The room was very clean and quiet. There was no pool or exercise room, but there was a free breakfast and that was definitely a plus. The staff was very friendly and allowed us to check in early so we could hit the shops by mid-day without having to drag our luggage around. The location is great - right near St Catherines and not far from the shopping areas on St Laurent and St Denis. I recommend this hotel if you're not looking for something fancy, but want a decent place to crash.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Natasha L, Front Office Manager at Hotel Faubourg Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Thank you so much for your comment! We were thrilled to read that your recent stay with us was really fantastic! It is most encouraging to know and it makes us strive to always do better. Thank you very much for your support. Also, just for your information, we don't have a pool but we do have an exercise room!
We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed October 6, 2013

We were recently in montreal for a world parkinsons conference and stayed at this hotel because of its proximity to the conference site. There were 3 of us, so we booked a one bedroom suite (2 beds + a pull out). However, when we arrived, we were pleasantly surprised to find that we had been upgraded to a two bedroom suite. The rooms were very spacious and clean. The service was great. Our requests were responded to immediately and always with a smile. The breakfasts were substantial - every day there was a different selection of hot food plus a choice of yogurt, toast, bagels, cereal etc. The breakfast staff were quite good but a special mention to Didi who is a great ambassador for the hotel. Two of us had parkinsons, one used a walker and Didi was always there to help out. He was very courteous and friendly without being patronizing.

The only downside was the ubiquitous use of disposable dishes and cutlery in both the breakfast area and in the rooms. I shudder to think how bags of garbage there were piled up every day.

We would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a modest accommodations in a central location.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Natasha L, Front Office Manager at Hotel Faubourg Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Dear guest,
We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed October 6, 2013

We [3 of us] stayed in a suite. I want to comment on the excellent staff from the cleaners, the front desk and Didi in the dining room. They were all very conscious that we were people with Parkinson's Disease which meant we have some slowness, some speech limitations and took time to get from point A to point B. We were never meant to feel anything but a guest in your home! The rooms were excellent- 2 bedrooms and a living room with a pull out couch. I would recommend this hotel to anyone but especially those with physical limitations. Don't forget we are people who live healthy productive lives with some limitations. Thank you so very much.
Irene

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear guest, Thank you so much for your comment! We were thrilled to read that your recent stay with us was really fantastic! It is most encouraging to know and it makes us strive to always do better.
Thank you very much for your support. We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in a business trip. It was a company preferred with a corporate discount, so I didn't really have a choice. Though I've stayed in holiday inns in the past and I've had decent experiences.

This place has one thing going for it. It's location. Close to old Montreal, St Catherine st, Business District. That's pretty much it.

What doesn't it have going for it? Well, first off the rooms are really dated. And I can usually handle that. But they are also very worn down. Scuff marks, running toilet, loud air condition, cheap fixtures and dated furniture and decorations. Nasty smells. Broken tiles. A kitchen but no utensils (what's the point) Water damage on the ceiling.

One if the first things I do when I arrive at a hotel is connect to the wifi. Wasn't able to get a strong enough signal in my room to log in. Was worse than dial up. On the second night I was moved to a different room with better signal. But come on, it's 2013. Wifi internet is a necessity. I can deal with dated furniture. But no wifi? Not at all.

The front desk was helpful. They did move me to a new room when I complained about the wifi. But this isn't enough to redeem this hotel from all it's deficiencies. Just too many little annoyances that add up to a terrible experience.

For the love of god, update this hotel.

I guess it's obvious that I wouldn't recommend this hotel. Spend a little extra and get something that won't lead to a ruined experience.

• Stayed: September 2013
Natasha L, Front Office Manager at Hotel Faubourg Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

Thank you for providing us with a review following your recent stay. We welcome all of our guests to give us their impressions whether they are positive or constructive. These reviews are routinely shared with both our management and staff.

I agree that there are some rooms in need of attention and we have begun conducting preventative maintenance and will be renovating in the near future.

Again, I am sorry that your stay was not satisfactory and can only hope you will eventually return to see us again the near future.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

The location of this hotel is quite good, right by China Town, and a short walk from Old Town of Montreal.
A combination of high prices in Montreal and the exchange rate meant we were looking for the budget end hotels. And Basically you get what you pay for.
The room we were given was quite large with huge closet and almost full size kitchen with large fridge and microwave. All perfectly clean but dated and run down.
We stayed 2 nights had a good time but the hotel needs a bit of a shake up. If you put a welcome carpet at the front entrance , for example, it would help if it was kept clean and free of cigarette butts at least. A scruffy front entrance doesn't make a very good impression.
The breakfast is the usual HIE affair, not a huge fan of paper plates, and hugely un ecofriendly.
Again perfectly ok for the price.
They do provide customer laundry facilities and parking is underground , which is a bit tight when busy.
It is a easy walk to old town and we found Plenty of places to eat and generally had a good time

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Natasha L, Front Office Manager at Hotel Faubourg Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Dear guest, Thanks a lot for sharing with us your comments following your recent stay with us. We are really thrilled to read our services and location met all of your needs.

I agree that there are some rooms in need of attention and we have begun conducting preventative maintenance and will be going through renovations in the near future.

Thank you for staying with us, we hope you will return soon.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Came to Montreal for the night with my wife after a 5hr drive:

1. Arrived at 3.25pm (checkin starts at 3), told my room was not yet ready. Had to speak to a manager in order get a room.

2. Had to kill 3 spiders in the room

3. The phone in the bedroom did not work

4. The Wifi stopped working overnight, and in the morning despite 3 calls to reception, and being told it was working, it still did not work.

5. Don't get tricked by the free breakfast - not impressed at all

I would like to know why the receptionist asked me 'How was my stay?', as after I complained he said 'ok' and gave me my receipt.

Location is fine if you enjoy walking.

I would look elsewhere for my next trip to Montreal

Room Tip: Not Room 319 - spiders!