LHotel
Orbitz.com
$253
Travelocity
1,340 results
All reviewshigh ceilingsart collectionpop artandy warholold montrealoriginal artworkfoot ceilingsunique hotelnotre damelobby barvalet parkingroom was largeperfect locationwithin walking distancecroissantscontinental breakfastwould definitely stay here again
Reviewed December 15, 2009

Everything about this hotel was great: the room, the bathroom, the location, the staff. The breakfast was a bit light on but otherwise I would not hesitate to recommend it. The foyer bar was great (if a bit expensive) and the staff were so helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 8, 2009

Good price for the location. The hotel is great on the outside, in a good location in Old Montreal, walking distance to all. The lobby is "okay" (read details below) The rooms were clean and decent, nothing special, slightly generic. I would consider it again, and I have no major complaints.......We stayed 4 nights over Thanksgiving. The hotel was close to full, but we hardly heard or saw anyone.

HOWEVER, to be detailed and give my HONEST opinion, and just to be clear, this is not a so called "Boutique" hotel in any sense other than its small, and a bit quaint, and it ends there. I have been around to 20 countries and stayed at many "small" or "Boutique Hotels" and this one is okay, and clean, but wouldn't vote it into one of the "worlds best small hotels" listings.

Things I didn't like-personal observations: The hotel employees had ugly uniforms, with bad name-tags, like they were working at a Denny's or I-hop-overall just tacky. Yet, the employees were friendly, very helpful and lovely.
The entire interior design of the hotel looked like a mix of what a bunch of owners and others said they liked, all mixed together without a professional decorator to help-sorry. The art & sculptures of the hotel both on the outside and inside were STUNNING and "made" the hotel. Without them, it would have been drab.
The "continental breakfast" was okay, basic. The breakfast room was nice and the breakfast staff was very helpful and sweet. Some REAL Croissants for breakfast would be nice, and some real breads? Not frozen cheap ones. I mean Montreal is FULL of great French bakeries!
The music in the breakfast room, and hotel was HORRENDOUS. It was the WORST ever-think bad elevator music everywhere~no wonder no one sits in the bar either? You would think the management or owners would consider the LACK of atmosphere or originality or personality for that matter in the lounge, entrance, bar areas, and that they would wonder what they are doing wrong, and that it is empty. It's not inviting or interesting. The music at worst, should be something current (not bad 80's-90's elevator music) even some simple music like: relaxation, chill out, symphonic, zen atmospheric, French? Did anyone think " hey, lets have some FRENCH classics, French Jazz, or French chill out to add to the French thing happening here in Quebec?" For the tourists at least? Now that's a thought! The hotel COSTES in Paris, France makes the BEST mixed CD's for just that, just buy and play-problem solved!
The rooms were okay, the bedding was nice enough, the mattress was decent. The bathroom was clean and nice. Overall the room was decent and clean, it was like a upscale Holiday Inn I guess or a Hilton somewhere...some basic design skills could have made the rooms MUCH nicer to look at, Colors, and fabrics, etc. They were clean enough, just generic.

Overall, I would stay again for a good rate, otherwise I would spend a bit more and stay in a real "Boutique" hotel. Its too bad as the location is great and the building is really beautiful. The layout and size is nice, its just generic, and not unique. With a few simple changes, the place could be great.

PS-Some real Croissants for breakfast would be nice, and some real breads? I mean Montreal is FULL of great bakeries! But it was nice to try different bakeries!

Thanks! Try it out, its decent and a good price for the location.

4  Thank AlmaV1313
Reviewed November 29, 2009

This was our second visit to the Hotel XIXe Siècle. It is located in Montreal's old town just a few blocks up from the port and a block or so away from the tourist shops that abound in that area. There is free on-street overnight parking on the weekends, meters during the day, valet parking is also available. The lobby of the hotel has held different interesting art exhibits both times we have been there.
The staff was accommodating, quick to help with restaurant suggestions or directions. We have had some lovely meals at restaurants that they recommended. The rooms are spacious and appear even larger because of the 14' ceilings. The furniture is very european and well kept up. Nice art on the walls. Our bathroom provided everything we needed, including a nice shower and good lighting. The lighting in the room was also good. Our package included breakfast - the dining room was nice and bright, the food was a typical hotel breakfast buffet - cereal, toast, bagels, fruit, yogurt and coffee.
The location of the hotel is great; close to the sights in the old town and not a bad walk to downtown Montreal shopping. There are also buses that run close by. We would highly recommend this hotel for a romantic weekend getaway or an extended stay.

1  Thank janvt
Reviewed November 28, 2009

We had read the reviews about this hotel and expected that it was a boutique jewel in a wonderful city. The hotel is clean, neat but the room was very small - really meant for a solo traveler - and the breakfast that was included in our package price was very disappointing. For a hotel in the middle of Montreal we would have expected french breads and pastries, not stale, tasteless croissants and mediocre fruit and coffee. The staff is attentive and pleasant . The restaurant recommended to us the first night we arrived was definitely not one we would have chosen and we did end up going elsewhere - we did not want to rely on the staff after that. We also smelled cigarette smoke our last day which I know is not permitted, but...it was definitely filling the hall. We did see several rooms our last day that would have been much better - we wondered why the hotel would not let us know that they were available, the were better suited for a couple. Especially since there were so many empty rooms.

4  Thank 2boston
Reviewed November 24, 2009

I read all the wonderful reviews for this hotel before I booked but was a little skeptic. After my recent trip to Montreal I wanted to stay in the older part to visits museums and be close to the city's history. This hotel not only was in the heart of that area but it was so classy. My room was fantastic, large and super clean. Service was good and very helpful to me. It was a cozy stay, especially spending down time by their library and bar. I only recommend that you research restaurants nearby as it does not have one in the hotel. It also doesn't have mini fridges either. But the bar tender was nice enough to bring me tea every evening. Thanks for a stress-free vacation.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo