“Excellent service, superb room and location. Absolutely love this hotel.”
Review of LHotel

LHotel
Ranked #20 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent service, superb room and location. Absolutely love this hotel.”
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

I travel to Montreal quite frequently and stayed at many hotels. This is my first time staying at LHotel and it will not be the last. Everything was exceptional starting from the staff to the rooms. Why stay anywhere else when you are treated so well at this establishment? 5 stars!!!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank costarosa2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Montpelier, Vermont
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I've stayed often in Montreal, a city full of great hotels, but L'Hotel is an exceptional experience. It's a smallish place, downtown but not in the middle of everything. The entire hotel is filled with great prints - Warhol, Rauschenberg, Miro, Jasper Johns, and other major artists. It feels like an art gallery which happens to have bedrooms. My wife and I purposefully got off the elevator on a different floor so we could roam the halls looking at the art. Sculpture, too, in the intimate lobby. There is art in the rooms as well, and the furniture is lovely, solid wood, antique - pieces I wish I had in my living room. We chatted with the desk staff, describing our day, and she offered great suggestions, right in line with our interests. Last, the price was very reasonable - surprising, even, given the quality of the accommodations - solid shower, comfy bed, fifteen-foot (I'm guessing) ceilings (making everything seem spacious and elegant). I tip my hat to the very professional staff who work hard at the other hotels - I've had great experiences - but when I go to Montreal in the future, there is no question that I'll stay at L'Hotel...it felt that different.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for one night during the last day of my Canada trip. Everything seemd fine in the evening…The room was spacious, nicely decorated, the internet was working, the bathroom was ok. That’s about it though….
In the morning when I woke up there was no running water in the bathroom…it can happen after all. Howver that day there was a rude girl at the reception who was not helpful at all, I still though the problem would be fixed after an hour or two…well that was wrong. There was no water during the entire day at the hotel, so no water no bathroom, no shower, no toilet!!! The lady at the reception only concluded with “ well I am not God” when I asked if she could figure something out. So before my 15 hours long journey back home I couldn’t take a shower, I had to look for a toilet elsewhere. The lady at the reception offered us breakfast on the house and lets just say that was the weirdest breakfast ever! There was a buffet, on each plate (with cheese, with ham and so on) there were exactly 4 to 5 tiny little pieces of the respective food?!? Weird???!!!! Nothing hot to eat was served, it was a cold buffet only. We have stayed longer in the room hoping for the water to be back before our departure but no luck. During checkout there was another, MUCH friendlier lady at the reception who offered us a 50% discount on the room…still paying some 57 euros for a room without a bathroom seems like a little much, afterall we ended up having hostel standards (at least in a hostel you can share a bathroom…).
I know that it wasn’t the hotel’s fault but I don’t think that they have cared enough about their guests in such an emergency situation. They have offered no other solution, I would have appreciated if they had offered us another room in another hotel for a few hours so we could take a shower and use the toilet at least. No such thing has happened, we felt left alone without any help.
Also be careful if you use the elevator in the hotel, there is a notice saying that if you should experience problems with the elevator you should press the 2nd floor so the lift would restart?!? I thought is was the job of a 4* hotel to make sure that the lift was always working…
I will certainly not return to this hotel ever again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
10 Thank papeetee
m_taillon, General Manager at LHotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
We are extremely sorry for the discomfort you have experienced during your stay at our hotel on the day that a main water broke in Old Montreal due to extreme cold weather. There was not much we could do in term of facilities since all of Old Montreal was without water for the time you were with us.

However, we want to apologize for our employee's inappropriate behavior and want to assure you that proper measures were taken to insure that this situation will not occur in the future.

As for our elevator, we are in the process of getting it replaced. Being a hotel in a historical building, we have to conform to strict city codes and this slows down the process. In the mean time, in order to avoid panic and discomfort, we prefer to notify our clients that there is a solution should the elevator come to a complete stop.

Again, please accept our apologies and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again.

The General Manager
Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

From someone who studied hospitality in Switzerland and has worked in the industry for years this hotel was one to rave about!!!! From the arrival to the departure everything was spot on! The hotel and staff have such warmth and genuine attributes that I cannot wait until my next trip to Montreal! Hopefully the receptionist Summer will be there for the next person who stays as she really played a key role in our visit. From writing down a list of places to go, to calling us daily to see our our stay was she really displayed 5* hospitality. Eric (the overnight receptionist) was also fantastic, after coming back to the hotel each night absolutely freezing he always made us feel like we were "back at home". Upon checkout the debit machine was down but instead of being bothered by it I felt the opposit as the Receptionist and the GM himself were there to offer coffee and apologies for the wait! I have lived in 8 countries, travelled all my life and this is one of the best hotels I've ever had the pleasure of staying at :). Thank you to the entire team at L'hotel for making my mini January vacation a memorable one!!

Stayed January 2013
3 Thank Jasmine G
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We spent a Saturday night at the LHotel and were warmly greeted and taken care of. We drove up from Massachusetts, took advantage of the 15-minute parking outside the hotel before they valeted our car away (it was cold and snowy, so this was great), and spent the night in a nice, spacious room with high ceilings. The art in this place was awesome--Warhols, Lichtensteins, really fun, interesting pop art. The receptionist (she was blond, but I don't remember her name) was amazing: she helped us out with a great restaurant recommendation and places to go that night. Before calling it a night, we had a drink in the hotel bar and felt like we were in a funky museum--very cool. All in all it was comfortable and the staff was great.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ludakristi
Chicago, IL
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Four of us spent American Thanksgiving at L'Hotel and all agree it was a uniquely marvelous time. None of us are particularly hip or modern, nor do we have interest in art - but we still appreciated the atmosphere and everything L'Hotel had to offer. It was something different for us and we liked it. Daniel was extremely friendly and helpful from the moment we met, kicked off our vacation on such a happy note and gave us a significant first impression of Montreal. Even after the trip, when payments had been made and no reason to keep pampering us really, they were speedy and clear in their responses to my post-trip questions upon my return to the states.

The one criticism I have is that the elevator has some issues, and at one point we had to take the stairs. They are aware of this problem and may have fixed it by this point.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank y808y
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I'm a little hesitant about writing this review because I really think this is the best kept secret in Montreal. This is fabulous hotel. The rooms are spacious, clean and extremely comfortable. The staff are helpful and polite. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends