“Hotel Viger Worst Hotel Ever”
Review of Hotel Viger

Hotel Viger
Ranked #113 of 166 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I was recently in Montreal for working doing some filming and stayed at this crappy place.

first off staff are extremely rude.

We had left the room for a few hours to take in some sites of old Montreal when we returned equipment had been stolen from the room, The manager assured me nobody went down there so it wasnt his problem I got fairly upset him him seeing I just lost a $2000 camera he then calls the police and has me kicked out of the hotel in the middle of the night with my wife and rest of luggage. We have contacted the police and trying to get them to investigate this place

SO WARNING STAY FAR CLEAR OF THESE PEOPLE THEY ARE FLAT OUT THIEVES

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank BoomSoundz
Manager H, Manager at Hotel Viger, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Review hurts. Hotel wishes, it could reply, but how? Complainer is invisible… No name, arrival date or room number either. Police officers are here to protect the public. Police do not kick anybody “out of the hotel in the middle of the night” for the reasons that complainer alleged. This claim alone makes this anonymous review very suspicious, and casts huge doubts about its credibility.

Neither hotel nor tourism bureau, or police, have report of this alleged complaint against the hotel. Neither hotel nor its employees are under the investigation by the police as alleged the complainer. Hotel has 24/7 monitoring surveillance system, monitoring the premises inside and outside. All events are recorded and can be verified. Moreover, the fire and burglar safety alarm system is connected to the central station, reporting to police station immediately. Most importantly, hotel staff integrity is second to none! All of the employees have been working at this hotel for years, and never was there any single reason to doubt their honesty or good character. Why would one bite the hand that feeds him?

During our discussion with police about this review, the police reminded us that we live in civilized state with civil law. The police also mentioned that if a person falsely accuses someone for some wrong doing that they did not commit, then, this person is liable in the civil court for damages.

It feels horrible when someone decides to slander your good name and accuses you of something that you did not do. Hotel hopes that justice will prevail.

Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in July and were hesitant bc of the reviews. First the rooms are basic-- which we expected. Nothing special but I wouldn't walk w out shoes or socks. The toilet wouldn't flush a couple times and I had to take the too off to make happen. They do not have a do not disturb sign which I like to have. I don't want anyone in my room. I didn't feel like the door to the room was secure. I didn't fear for my safety, but it made me uncomftable leaving my stuff. The walls were so thin, the people next door woke us up at 7am both mornings (to no fault of their own).

Parking is awful. I refused to leave my car in their lot. Since we were going to the casino anyways we parked there and took a cab back to the hotel. The next night we brought it back and parked about .5 miles north of the hotel on the street where it was nice. However we did get stuck paying 5 CD for 90 mins of parking before it was free from 9pm-9am.

Location- it is quite a hike to the sites you want to see most like Notre dame or anything else. However, about 1 mile northwest is a great bar area. We found some great places to eat and drink there for a good fair price. One place gave us 1/2 liters for 5.44CD. We also liked this area bc just south of the hotel it felt very unsafe-- like do not walk here at night. We walked by during the day and felt uncomfortable. There is a park where it's obvious things are happening that shouldn't be.

So while the people at the hotel are nice and it is your typical budget hotel I would not recommend bc I don't like to worry about my car when I travel.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Our car was broken into the night we stayed (Aug 6, 2013). We had a whole suitcase stolen (it wasn't visible at all, it was covered by a car cover). We aren't stupid travelers, but from now on we will start thinking like criminals before we leave the car. The passenger side window was smashed with a rock, and the inside of the car was beaten up (there was so many weird damages that didn't make sense for a break in). I did not like the city and I have lived in several different places in my life and I usually enjoy different surroundings. The city wasn't tourist friendly like they said it was, and if you were American, forget it, they didn't want anything to do with you. The Latin Square or corner or whatever it was up the street from the hotel was 100% the most uncomfortable I have ever been while traveling. No one would talk to you. We tried our best to speak the language (most all know English) and they wouldn't come serve us or even take our credit card. The walk home was eery. Our total loss was over $2,500. The man at the from desk of the hotel was very sweet, he was so sorry for what had happened and apologized multiple times. I don't blame him, but I wouldn't recommend anyone to that area that was parking a car or wanted to go out at night. The police also don't come to you, you go to them. It took us over an hour to find the police station. Once we finally got out of Quebec we stopped in Ontario and tried to get our window fixed (it was a 20 plus hour drive home and with a window down it was awful). The window replacement man was so sweet and helped up get a fake window for the drive home (it would've taken almost 2 days to have it replaced). He mentioned that he never goes to Montreal or Quebec for this exact reason. In his words "if you aren't from Quebec they don't like you, we just stay away." My advise...Don't bother.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ashowers08
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I was here for a week. the room i stayed in was VERY small. Granted it was for a single occupant but everything was TIGHT.. I could barely stand in the toilet with the door open. My room was in the topmost floor and I would get breathless walking up all the steps. I wouldnt recomment this to a person with heart problems or slightly over weight. other than that, the room was cleaned everyday. It is located east of the downtown core china town and old montreal are about 10 mins walk though other attractions are futher away.

Room Tip: get a room on the ground floor
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Car was broken into during the night. Nothing of value was visible within the vehicle, so someone decided to smash our window for "fun." $250 bill to repair the window on our car for a $60 hotel...

Long walk from the main downtown strip. If you want to enjoy the nightlife and have a few drinks with your significant other we found this hotel to be too far out of the way. You will be looking over your shoulder under the sparse lights.

Bathroom smelt of urine.

I should have listened to that nagging feeling as soon as we pulled up. Spend the extra $20 and go somewhere else!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank J B
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed here for one night and were very satisfied with our stay. The room and building were clean, no musty smell! The location was great, basically 10 min walk to Old Montreal, Rene Levesque, St. Catherines St. The staff were nice, we checked in late after calling and updating them with our arrival time. The staff helped me find free street parking. Overall great place if you are on a budget and don't need a modern room. Will definitely be coming back here

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank StarWatcher07
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Spent a few nights at this hotel for a budget trip. Hotel staff were excellent, and we were able to get free street parking. Breakfast was tea/coffee juice, crossiants, and muffin. TV was small and dated, fridge in room worked, a/c was fine.

Room was fine for what we needed, had a good night sleep. Bedding was clean.

Only complaint it could have been vaccumed and dusted a bit better.

Location was great - 5 min to Old Montreal, subway was close, lots of restaurants, cafes, bars, grocery store all close. We walked from our hotel to downtown in about 20 mins.

Good for a place to sleep, not a luxury place. May or may not return.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple