“Basic Clean Lodging”
Review of Hotel St-Denis

Hotel St-Denis
Ranked #44 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed October 28, 2010

We stayed in this hotel for a quick overnight combined business/leisure trip to Montreal. We usually stay in 4-5 star hotels but most of the ones in Montreal were unavailable and the ones that were available had a very high rates and terrible reviews! In Montreal, one can stay in a small "auberge" or European style hotel like the St-Denis that are not fancy but very clean and well-run. The St-Denis was very clean, which is a top priority for us when we travel. The room we had was basic but spacious. The floors were laminate hardwood and spotless. I liked the fact that the windows open and that the heat is from radiators. The hotel is in an university area and I felt safe walking at night. Montreal, generally, is a little seedy, and there are alot of homeless people but not once did I feel threatened. There are lots of coffee shops, cafes and shops less than a five minute walk from the hotel. The Metro stop is less than two minutes walk as well. The front desk staff were very pleasant, efficient and helpful. I almost felt like I was in a small village in Spain or France while in the St-Denis. The parking is around the corner in an underground lot. As a conclusion, we were not in Montreal to hang out at our hotel. The St-Denis provided us with a clean place to sleep for one night at a very good price for downtown Montreal.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank trixieto50
There are newer reviews for Hotel St-Denis

Reviewed October 14, 2010

I have stayed here several times. Most recently Oct 1 2010. Less than Cdn$100. Includes high speed internet. 1 1/2 blocks to Montreal Metro (subway). 6 blocks to Old Montreal. Just for Laughs festival out the door. Room was clean, bed comfortable. Restaurant next door and another 1/2 block away on Rene Levesque serve breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bwimpyow
Reviewed October 8, 2010

My fiancee and I stayed in this hotel for a three day side-trip to Montreal. It's located just outside of the Latin Quarter which is loaded with many interesting shops & restaurant. The hotel is really an old building. As such, you can hear the water pipes and your neighbours when they're opening doors or walking through the hallways. But, the good news is that the hotel room is clean, spacious and the staff is friendly and helpful. I would stay at this hotel again. It's good value for the money. It's also near the main Metro station, which makes it easily accessible for tourists.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rj088
Reviewed September 10, 2010

we booked thru the internet which clearly stated one price, but when we got to the hotel the guy behind the desk told us we had to pay more than the internet price. in fairness he told us he was upgrading our room from a budget to a regular, which we DID'NT ask for, and then charged us extra for it!
Apart from that the room was very clean, and great location for the latin and chinese quarters. Our room was off the main street so very quiet. Shower was weak but always hot. Ice machine on the bottom floor was very welcome. Free Wi Fi but not fantasticly reliable.
If you turn right out of the hotel you are within 5 minutes of many fantastic food outlets from pizza to chocolate and everything in between.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank pambK5480DQ
Reviewed September 10, 2010

I had originally booked a room with 2 beds for me and my friend on Labor Day weekend. When I checked in, I was informed that the room I booked had some plumbing problems so the hotel gave me 2 rooms with 1 king bed each and a jacuzzi - and yep, I still paid as if I only had 1 room since that was my original booking. My friend and I appreciated that inadvertent and smooth upgrade.

The hotel's rate is a great value - we paid $105 Canadian a night on a holiday weekend. The rooms are spacious and clean, although there's not much of a view (you face the windows of other rooms) but that's not an issue for me so it was no big deal. The usual in-room amenities were there, including free wifi.

Location is good - it's a block away from the Berri-UQAM metro station, which is one of the main arteries of the Montreal metro system. All the bars, restaurants and bistros on rue St. Denis, as well as rue Ste. Catherine are mere minutes away by foot. On a nice day, you can even walk from the hotel to Centre-Ville (downtown) pretty easily.

This place isn't a 5-star hotel, but it's not a dump either. If you're looking for a clean, comfortable and convenient place to sleep in, and don't need the extra luxurious amenities (i.e. gym, spa, pool), then this place is ideal. Would definitely consider staying here again on my next trip to Montreal.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank jphnyc
Reviewed August 26, 2010

Nice and big rooms. No carpet in the room but an 'wooden" floor, whice is nice and more hygienic. Realy good value and on a good location, the subway was realy close by, restaunts were on walking distange. Only down side is the neighbourhood. There were al lot of bums, not realy nice, especialy at night. But on the otherhand there were al lot of bums everywere in Montreal (wich I found really supprising).

Tip: realy nice coffee and sandwiches at SoupSoupe a few houses down the street.

p.s..the highspeed internet wasn't that high

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2010

I had a good overall experience. I've spent 7 nights in this hotel and I'm completely satisfied with the service and with my room. The room was comfortable (great bed), quiet and spacious (compared to the British standard!!) and although the furniture was quite old (the room looks a little bit out of date) I don't have anything negative to say.
I've noticed some scratches on the wall of the bathroom, but then, again, I personally don't care. The bathroom was perfectly cleaned each morning, and so was my room, even when I left late in the morning.
A few details. The wifi is completely free and, since I was there for work, I really appreciated this service.
The hotel is 1 min from the metro-station UQAM and also 10min by foot from the heart of St Denis (restaurants, pubs, tea-rooms, coffee shops...). Also the main bus station (where the bus from/to the airport arrives) is 10 min by foot.
Staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business