“Good Low-End Hotel”

Ranked #46 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Oro Valley, Arizona
“Good Low-End Hotel”
Reviewed May 23, 2007

I was here on business/pleasure and stayed here for 6 nights and was overall very happy with the hotel. If you are like me and when you travel all a hotel is to you is a place to sleep and shower, then you can't do much better that this for the price. Rooms were clean and the staff was helpful and the location is excellent as far as access to subway and downtown areas. One thing to be aware of is that there are some seedy areas around (sex shops), but they are not visable from the hotel, or on the same street as the hotel. On the other hand, since the hotel is close to the university and areas with lots of night life, there are lots of late night eats open which is something I like. I checked in after midnight on the day I arrived and had no problem finding a place to eat after traveling all day.

Another thing to be aware of is if you have a room on the street and like to sleep in, then it can get noisy. I found this out my first night and requested another room and they moved me to a room in the back which was much quieter. The elevators were down some of the time I was there, but I always use the stairs anyway, so this was no issue to me (I was on 5th floor out of 6). The rooms did not have air conditioning, so that might be an issue in the summer, but I was very comfortable.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank AZTrojan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Washington, DC
Reviewed April 11, 2007

I enjoyed the location, it is close to everything and once you start to walk about 2 miles out you end up in the middle of the city. The hotel, has two great restrurants next to it and they are great. The services is great, however, the building is old and the carpet was old looking and the rooms are small. The beds where not that good but the services was impeccable.

I took my son with me and it was a bit uncomfortable for us. However, two adults this is great. If you care a lot about the bed you may want to look at other places. Because my back hurted during my stay. However everything else was great. They are very clean and nice and everyone is smiling. I enjoyed the service and they made me feel comfortable.

If you are vacationing with children you should really consider the hotel and the little extras they can be priceless. However, this hotel let me get in the city and also the local area and kind of better understand the life of the people there. It is not in the high tourist area but very close to it. So you get to see a lot. I think this place is great. i would return if I am on a budget beucase now I know what to except. But, if I am to get better I will.

• Liked — The service.
  • Disliked — The beds.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank privatemf
minipenny
Reviewed April 8, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed in this hotel during the busy Labor Day weekend and found that this hotel was exactly what we were looking for. 24 hour desk, helpful employees who spoke English as well as French. The parking is around the corner, and though a little sketchy we could take our car out as we pleased and return it later for a flat rate. Granted they charged us per day, but it was reasonable for the city. The area around it is the Latin Quarter--there are good restaurants, plenty of cafes and the subway was 1 block from our hotel. We're young (in our mid-twenties) and the bed was comfortable, the accommodations were simple and clean, and we felt safe. The elevator is a little small, but efficent, and our room was very quiet. I will def. stay at this hotel again for the price, cleanliness, and 24 hour desk and parking!

• Liked — budget, location, 24 hour desk, parking
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank minipenny
Canada
Reviewed February 7, 2007

While this is rated as a 3 star, it is more like a Quebec 2 1/2 star.

I booked through the Montreal tourist office (absolutely fabulous service - always has been) and they spotted a good price (comparable to other 3 stars) that included 2 full breakfasts.

When getting to the hotel I found out there were no breakfasts and there hadn't been for 2 months (with the supplying kitchen closed) - total 5$ / night was removed from the bill (a token for two people and the inconvenience). They had not change their listings with the trourist office in this time and I would not have booked there if there was not some breakfast, a basic expectation for small Montreal hotels and B&Bs.

The restaurent beside the hotel opens late and closes early.

Otherwise desk help was friendly.

Parking is 12$ per night in a garage near the hotel - OK

There is great value in Montreal in 2 and 3 stars not to have surprises

Stayed January 2007
1 Thank Travel-Often-Canada
Ti-Spatzl, Lodging director at Hotel St-Denis, responded to this review, February 12, 2007
It is true that we didn't offer breakfast for a short period of time. The major resson is that the restaurant with whom we were having a deal close on us suddendly (1 day notice). We have made a new deal with Pacini the italian restaurant next door and the breakfast will be on, starting on Monday Feb 19th. It was a little long (builting a new space in the kitchen, training, planning, holidays) and we appologize for the discomfort due to this circumstance. We always try our best to please our guests.
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed January 29, 2007

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in my winter getaway in January. I'm glad I chose this hotel as it gave me the convenience and comfort that really made my Montreal experience from great to superb! I like its location best, as its literally around the corner (2-minute walk) from the Berri-UQAM metro station, which connects both metro lines and you can get to all Downtoan and Plateau Mont-Royal attractions in a single ride. It is connected to the Greyhound terminal, which is also where the airport shuttle terminates. The rooms are well maintained. They have everything you need, towels, bodywash, shampoo, hair dryer. The bed was king-sized. I paid CAD$75 for the room. It's a great room for this value.

I was initially concerned when I read some reviews saying this hotel was near the red-light district, but I didn't notice such activities. To be fair, I didn't walk around the neighbourhood too much, but between the hotel and the metro station, things look fine, all there is is a university across the street.

Will recommend to budget-minded travellers. If you plan to explore Montreal by public transportation like I did, this hotel is for you.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank smnlee
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 2, 2007

My partner and I stayed at the Hotel St Denis for 12 nights over Christmas, 2006. Overall we found this hotel to be clean, comfortable and extremely convenient for the cafes, bars and restaurants of Saint Denis. Here is our summary:

Pros:
- Great Location - 3 metro stops from main downtown area
- Room cleaned daily
- AMAZINGLY comfortable Queen sized bed (room 217)
- Large (25 inch) television
- Cheerful multi-lingual reception staff

Cons:
- Very noisy (Next room's shower, pigeons at window, early morning garbage pick-ups at building's rear)
- Sheets/towels cleaned using far too much Javel Water/Bleach

There is usually breakfast available however during our stay the breakfast room was being renovated.

Overall if you can get this hotel for around CAD$70 per night you are getting an absolute bargain compared to other hotels in this price range. On this basis it gets our highest recommendation.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank UncleTravellingDan
New York
Reviewed December 28, 2006

I spend 70 dollars for a king size bed bedroom. The blanket and sheet and carpeting are a little bit aged but clean. Bathroom is also clean except a little stain on the ceiling near the shower. Staffs are ok and helpful. Pay 12 dollars for parking and it really save a lot of work. Would consider stay again.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank tc2044