“Great Stay for the Price!”
Review of Hotel St-Denis

Hotel St-Denis
Ranked #44 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed October 27, 2006

My husband & I stayed at the St Denis for 2 nights last weekend, we were in Montreal to visit some family and really didn't want to spend a ton of money for a quick trip. Of course, we also didn't want to sleep with cockroaches & crackheads either! This is always a concern when travelling to large cities, price versus class. I have to say that while the St Denis is not an luxuurious hotel it is very clean, conveniently located and reasonably priced. Our only complaint would be the plumbing, when showering, you basically have 2 choices; a cold shower or a hot drip! My husband was particularly annoyed by this but I figured it was a small price to pay for the benefits. We travel quite often and feel fairly well qualified to judge hotels and when I compare the St Denis to other hotels in the same price range in other major cities, the St Denis blows them away! We once stayed at a hotel in South Beach in the same price range and really did wake up to crackheads on the font stoop, left over from the night before! So if you want a affordable & clean hotel, within walking distance of clubs, restuarants & tourists areas, in the downtown Montreal area, the St Denis is excellent choice, if you want more than that, be ready to pay for it!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bluekenya

Reviewed October 26, 2006

The hotel was fine- not great. The room was rather small but we could manage. As for the location- the neighbourhood didn't seem dangerous but there were lots of sex shops, sex clubs etc around.
The front desk was ok but they didn't seem to go out of their way to help you. It was one of the only places we visited which didn't give us maps. On Saturday morning breakfast is not served before 9:00, and no one bothered to tell you ahead. As we were in a hurry to the airport we just walked a few blocks to have breakfast.
I don't think I'd stay in this hotel once more.

• Stayed: October 2006
1  Thank ronitm
Reviewed October 24, 2006

We found this hotel by walking from another one that we could not stay at because of the condition of the room. We found this hotel to be clean, very courteous staff, quiet, conveniently located in the downtown area. We were able to walk to everything from the hotel and never had to take the car out of the garage. Our room was large, had very comfortable beds, and was impeccably clean. Bathrooms are a big deal to me when travelling, and this was very clean and sanitized. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for GREAT value for the money. It is not 4 star, so if that's what you're looking for, look elsewhere, but it is certainly 3+ in my books. Everything you could ask for on a budget. We even had a coffee maker, ironing board and iron in our room!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank CubanRum63
Reviewed October 10, 2006

I recently stayed two nights at this hotel and was very pleased with it.

Pros:
The location can't be better, with a metro station two blocks away and the central bus station three blocks away. Also, Ste. Catherine street is just steps away, and you can walk to the old town too. The front-desk staff is very helpful. I arrived early in the morning, when there still weren't any rooms available, so I was given a key to a big locker for my luggage for free. The restaurant/bistro serves excellent food at very affordable prices with very good service by very friendly staff. My room was quiet, confortable, well decorated, of good size, had everything I could possibly need, and most importantly, was very clean. Finally, it's really affordable.

Cons:
The lobby feels too small
My room was a little too dark, but ok
The a/c was loud and inefficient (fortunately, I didn't really need it)

Conclusion: I would return for sure!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled solo
1  Thank WiseJJ
Reviewed October 8, 2006

We spent 5 nights at Hotel Saint Denis over a long labor Day weekend. It is a very nice Intown Hotel. The best thing about it was the location, right across from the Berri train station that connects 2 main subway lines & at the Intersection of St. Denis and St. Catherine. It is in a college area, so there are lots of young people around. There is a mall with a grocery store a couple of blocks down St. Catherine. Going North on St. Denis, there are some nice restaurants and clubs with a bit of a Bohemian atmosphere in the neighborhood. We did not eat at the Hotel, but there is a Panini Restaurant next door that we had 2 good meals at.
The room itself was average with an above average bed, which is all we really care about. The bathroom was newly remodeled with a good shower. The TV had about 30 channels, I believe. The coffee in the room was some of the best in room coffee I've ever had. The front desk staff were all helpful. The only real problem was a noisy air conditioner in our room that kept us awake at night when the compressor kicked on. We did not complain to the hotel about it because we thought we would get used to it. We never did. I'm sure if we said something to them, they would have corrected it. This is just an reminder to check that out if you decide to stay there.
All in all I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for good value accomodations in downtown Montreal.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank thestanman
Reviewed October 6, 2006

It's good value for the money. The rooms were comfortable and
the location was good. Staff was nice. The price had included
a free breakfast in the coffeeshop next door but we found out
that this has changed. The coffee shop changed ownership
and the hotel told us they weren't sure what the deal would be
with the new coffee shop owners. The deal currently incudes
an $8, breakfast at another nearby restaurant.

Stayed: October 2005
1  Thank eshatter
Reviewed August 19, 2006

The good:
location in interesting and convenient part of town, very near metro, low price, free breakfast, very large room, clean (esp. bathroom), one very firm bed, generally quiet, one block from bike path on Rue Berri which leads down to the waterfront
The bad:
a number of unsavory characters panhandling on blocks near hotel, very long wait for breakfast, very noisy air conditioner, other rather sagging bed, windows opened onto air shaft, rather smoky due to proximity to hotel laundry where chambermaids congregated and smoked (?), room rather dark and plain

Also of note: called hotel directly to book extra large room (2 queens and a sofa bed), and was told none were available. Ended up booking "superior room" on Hotels. A week before our arrival, had to call hotel to change dates by one day, and was offered extra large room for our whole stay. Perhaps one had become available....

Recommendation: go to La Brioche Lyonnaise just up Rue St. Denis for beautifully presented and delicious breakfasts in their rear garden.

All in all, would possibly stay there again for the location and the price.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank SomewhatSelective