All reviewslatin quartergreat locationold montrealberri uqamgay villagec unitminute walkmini fridgeplace to sleepunderground parkinghomeless peoplebudget hotelquiet at nightairport busroom was spotlesscoffee makertwo blocks
Reviewed September 17, 2017

Good location, walking distance to the bus station, but in a nice neighbourhood. Also close to the old port and rue st. denis. Rooms were clean and front desk staff were helpful and friendly and able to check us in early.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled with friends
4  Thank Chelsey L
Reviewed September 14, 2017

I've visited Montreal a few times in my life, most of the time I'm there for only a day trip, but on occasion I like to stay over night. One of the reasons I didn't stay over night more often was the selection of hotels in the city. For the most part I've found the hotels in Montreal to be either overpriced or dumps. That is until I stayed at the St Denis.

I wouldn't say that this is a super fancy hotel, but it's pretty nice. It has nice sized rooms, clean and well appointed. It has a great location, walking distance from lots of great nightlife and tourist attractions. The staff is helpful and friendly, and it's all for a reasonable price. I would say that the only downfall of this place is the lack of parking, but if you're not driving, that's no big deal.

• Stayed: June 2017, traveled on business
5  Thank CandyCritic
Reviewed August 22, 2017

But hotel fabric is more than a bit tired.
It probably suffers from me staying in too many modern hotels....but they do set a standard so when staying in an old building, making comparisons is unavoidable.
Having said that, the hotel is adjacent to probably the best street for restaurants in the city

• Stayed: June 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul51_and_Marg52
Reviewed August 17, 2017

After having a less than great experience at the St. André in June, I was leery about opting for another budget hotel. Surprise! The St. Denis is a wonderful old hotel, newly renovated, with wood flooring, rehabbed bathroom, and tasteful bed coverings. My room was a double-double and quite large. The room was outfitted with a safe, a microwave, a mini-fridge, a Keurig coffeemaker, a separate sink, and plates and eating utensils if you wish to picnic in.

A nicely sized flat panel TV with many channels to choose from sat on a dresser with casters so that positioning the set in front of the sofa or bed was easy to do. Yes, there was a small seating area with sofa and coffee table. A/C did a proper job, but you can also easily open the newly replaced screened windows.

The bathroom was of a decent size (toilet badly positioned, however). The usual bathing amenities were provided. I was on the second floor and the water pressure was quite good.

Reception was professional, although a bit "stiff". Housekeeping provided me with a spotless room upon check-in, but failed to maintain a standard during my six-night stay. When I threw used towels on the floor the housekeeper either hung them back up or took them without replacing them. I left the empty bottles in the sink as a message to re-supply. She didn't get the message. On my final full day she never even showed up. So, improvement needed in that area.

The St. Denis is perfectly located if you're visiting The Village, Quartier Latin, and UQAM, and is not too distant from touristy, but charming, Old Montreal.

If you request an "inside" room you will be be pleasantly rewarded with peace and quiet at night.

Room Tip: Inside rooms have no view, but are quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2017, traveled with friends
3  Thank Yahme
Reviewed August 14, 2017

This is a favourite place to stay when we are in Montreal. Clean, comfortable and centrally located, it makes the ideal spot to explore all that Montreal has to offer. Great staff at the front desk as well. Always friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed: June 2017, traveled as a couple