“Decent, basic”

Ranked #43 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Williamstown, Massachusetts, United States
“Decent, basic”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

A good choice for no-frills, basic accommodation. Spacious rooms, comfy beds but no amenities to speak of. Location is its biggest advantage, near UQAM, the spiffy new library and the main bus station. Good value for the money.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Ken K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Morganton, North Carolina
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I usually stay here when in Montreal due to the location is central to where I spend my time. Clean, small rooms. Cheap price. Always felt safe. Friendly staff. Like that it has the restaurant for food and drinks right there is desired.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank hppyadv
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed February 21, 2014

The hotel is cheap. The hotel is clean. Looked renovated. No tub, just a shower, but plenty of amenities. There were three queen sized beds that fit into an unusual space (we only needed 2 of them), but there was a television on a stand that you can roll around in the room to wherever you want it. There is a desk, chair and table...bedside table and ample lighting. On the downside, the hotel is small and old and brick. The windows overlook the fire escape and you can see directly across into other peoples' rooms if their curtains are open. It was so cold outside the heat was blasting indoors with no way to control it. We had to open our windows. The beds were firm, but not comfortable. I'm older and arthritic, but even my teenage daughter had trouble sleeping. The noise was bordering criminal. We had people above us partying into the wee hours. The staff is a couple of young people who obviously trade off--one is day-shift and the other night-shift. Sweet kids, but couldn't do anything helpful to reduce the noise. I'd say the place is perfect for young people traveling in groups to save money--and party in the rooms. If I were younger I'd be going back, but I'm not so I won't be returning. We were actually there the last days of December of 2012, but the Trip Adviser calendar doesn't go back that far.

Room Tip: Pick the top floor to reduce noise. That was my error! I didn't do it, and we should have!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Susan M
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2014

after reading reviews I decided to try this hotel out mostly for the location as its right downtown st cathrine and st denis exactly where I wanted to be to walk around.
I knew the street is kinda dirty and all kinds of people walk those streets which was fine,
its not the reason I am giving this hotel a bad review its simply the fact that the hotel looks inside and outside like a 2 star motel and i had cheap 40$ motels that were as nice,

The walls were gross looking as if they been painted over and over 50 times
the tv was positioned so weird that you cant even turn it so you can have a decent view from the bed, the blankets and pillows were horrible, the bathroom was tiny and the shower just sucked,

I got woken up at 4am by people talking and yelling and running around in the hallway,
at first I figured they will go away but they stayed there for almost 30min's just talking and chatting, just a bunch of drunk kids. I didnt have the energy to get dressed to go outside to tell them to shut up, I was hoping whoever is working the front desk would hear them I mean after all this hotel is tiny but that never happened and I had a horrible sleep,
I know the hotel cant be perfect especially of its guests but 30mins of people yelling in hallways and you wont do anything about it ?

so mostly the rooms were just ugly the hardwood floor did not go with the walls or the bed, and everything inside the hotel made me feel dirty, the rest of what happened just didnt ad to anything just made things worse than it already was

Room Tip: Avoid unless you like feeling like poverty
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KhuntFister
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I had the pleasure of staying here 2 nights from Dec 30- Jan 1, 2014 over the New Year's holidays, and will definitely return. Normally, I don't spend so much time in the hotel when I check in, but it was so cold over these days,I spent more time inside the hotel ,and was able to enjoy its amenities. The check in desk is small , but efficient, there is a nice lounge area near the elevators to sit on comfortable seats and read magazines or papers at your leisure. A computer with internet is functional in the lobby as well. The king bed room I had was large, with a large flat panel HDTV with plenty of cable channels, quick free wifii in room, decent coffee and tea with a large carafe, comfortable bed and sheets, nice bathroom with good toiletries and jacuzzi tub/shower combo. Prior to leaving for the airport, they allowed me to store my luggage in a locker room with lock downstairs. For the price, this place is hard to beat.

Room Tip: The king room is excellent
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank dalemulford
Toronto
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I was greatly surprised on my recent trip to Montreal and the Hotel St Denis. It is a older hotel in downtown Montreal that has been renovated and to my surprise was exceptionally clean and comfortable with great staff.
If you are looking for a room with a view this is not the place, it is a five story building surrounded by the U of Q campus.
It is close to the gay village and has lots of bars and restaraunts nearby.
Excellent hotel for the money

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I was very pleased with Hotel St. Denis and my experience there this past weekend (Remembrance day weekend) with my sister. I had read positive reviews here on tripadvisor and decided to book it while taking advantage of their 2nd night half off promotion.

Pros: 1) Super excellent location, close to everything and the metro which takes you pretty much anywhere in no time. 2) A great staff and service! Very friendly, professional, knowledgeable and helpful in every possible way. 3) The rooms were great for the price, very basic but with everything you would need on a basic level and very CLEAN (including washroom). The best part was the bed, it was super comfortable (we had the king bed booked). Our room came with ironing and blowdryer facilities. Decent WIFI. 5) They have nice promotions from time to time, we had booked our room with second night 50% off plus received a great coupon book with many attractions and dining options available to us for cheaper prices! 4) They have a really nice common room too, complete with a vending and ice machine, newspapers and brochures for different attractions, TV and sitting area. 5) Some people have said that their key cards did not work properly, we had no problems with it. It swiped just fine each time.

Cons: These were really negligible for us. 1) Noise. We had requested for a quiet room and it was indeed at the back of the building on the 3rd floor, but still experienced some noise whether from the staff cleaning up in the mornings outside the doors, or people walking and talking by, and the outside noise from the back of the building (garbage trucks). The walls are somewhat thin and since the hotel is in one of the prime areas (latin quarter), you cannot expect it to be 100% quiet. This may be an issue for light sleepers but it was no big deal for us. Overall I found the hotel to be very quiet and comfortable. 2) Small elevators. 3) The heating from the radiator made the room super hot, it was hard to control the temperature in the room, this was my only real complaint. 4) bathroom soap, lotion, and shampoo are provided, but no slippers or toothpaste so be prepared to bring your own.

I would definitely come back to this hotel again when in Montreal. It was a very good experience for a low budget affair.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room when booking, they will do their best to get you a room at the back of the buil...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family