Hotel St-Denis
$184
  • Breakfast included
$250
  • Restaurant
All reviewslatin quartergreat locationold montrealberri uqamgay villageparking garagemini fridgefree wifiminute walkplace to sleepcomfortable bedhomeless peoplequiet at nightbudget hotelairport buscoffee makerfew blocks
Reviewed August 27, 2013

If you're looking for the luxuries of the Hilton or a high end hotel, this isn't for you. However, I was very satisfied with my stay at St. Denis from August 18 - 23, 2013. The hotel may need some updating and may be a little "old fashioned", but is was very clean and well kept. The room was comfortable and we slept very well. The front desk staff were very pleasant and polite and very helpful. The location can't be beat! It is a couple of blocks from the subway, which we took everywhere. (The subway is very easy to navigate). There is a restaurant right next door, Pacini, that serves very good breakfast. My favorite breakfast restaurant was Cora on Rue Ste. Catherine (within walking distance). My boyfriend and I have already decided that when we go back to Montreal we will stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My father and I stayed for a few nights after disembarking a cruise. The hotel is only a block's walk to the metro, the 747 bus to the airport, and the Hop on Hop Off bus tour stop. There are plenty of cafes and restaurants nearby. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was spotless and quiet and much larger than I had expected. A separate shower/tub and toilet/lavatory meant we could be using these at the same time. Free wifi and a couple of computers are available for internet access. I would certainly stay again. The price was reasonable, especially for the downtown Montreal area!

Room Tip: Our room was just next to the stairs and elevator, but we noticed no extra noise there.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 19, 2013

You can't beat the location of this hotel. If having a comfortable, quiet, place to sleep is all you require from a hotel, this is a fine choice. The desk staff was friendly. The decor was dated, but all fully functional, including free wifi. Although no restaurant on site, there is a lovely Italian restaurant right next door, and a plethora of choices a few blocks in any direction.

Air conditioning was a window unit, but during my stay the weather was temporate, so it was not an issue.

Room Tip: The elevator is quite small, I preferred the stairs, so perhaps a lower floor?
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I have been to this hotel many times in the past (around 10 times) for either business or pleasure... and I have never been let down. I wrote a review two years ago and I decided to update some information.

So I decided to stay there again for the Rogers Cup, as I have always been satisfied with this hotel. This time, I was with a friend of mine, so I booked a room with two beds. The room was very spacious, with two very comfortable double beds and even a sofa (kind of a mini living room). Everything was perfectly clean, from the bathroom to the main room floor (no carpet, a beautiful hardwood floor imitation). Air conditioner worked great! I always ask for a room at the back of the hotel on a higher floor so I have a very quiet room.

Parking was still 16$ for 24h in a underground garage on one narrow street right next to the hotel. Wi-fi was available for free and this time, it worked flawlessly throughout the hotel. They had now a new lounge area right next to the front desk, which was very cool, with sofas, TV, newspapers. There is a Pacini next door for breakfast.

As always, every single member of the staff was very polite, helpful and friendly. I arrived before check in time and they did all they could to make the room ready as fast as possible. They offered us lockers to keep our stuff until the room was ready.

Price was very good for the area and the time of the year (August... with lots of festivals and events going on at the same time). Location is perfect, right next to the Berri-UQAM main underground hub, on the lively street of St-Denis in the Latin Quarter at the corner of Ste-Catherine street.

I really have nothing bad to say about this hotel. Just don't expect something too fancy or luxurious and you'll be more than happy with this hotel. I think that for the price and the location, you won't find something better in Montréal. I recommended this hotel to many people I know and they all had the same experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Pascal V
Reviewed August 12, 2013

The hotel was a fantastic value. The room was spotless, the location could not be more convenient (near the Berri metro stop, Old Montreal, Quartier des Spectacles and Quartier Latin), and the staff were quite friendly. There was underground parking just around the corner (about $16 day) and free wi-fi in the rooms. The room was fairly large; with 2 double beds and a pull-out sofa bed, we slept 3 easily. The pull-out sofa bed was slightly tilted/uncomfortable, but that's what you get with most pull-out beds. I can't imagine finding a more comfortable and convenient place in Montreal for the same price.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family