“Enjoyed my Stay”
Review of Hotel St-Denis

Hotel St-Denis
Ranked #44 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I stayed for 5 days and couldn't find anything to complain about. I asked for a quiet room and was given a very quiet room at the back. Everything worked well, the elevator and the A/C and the plumbing and all that. Hot water appeared quickly, no waiting 5 minute for it to work up from the basement or anything like that. Bed was firm and comfortable. Staff were friendly and helpful. As others mentioned, I really liked the updated wood flooring in the room. The carpeting and trim in the corridors has seen better days, but that didn't really affect my stay.
I would definitely stay at this hotel again on my next visit to Montreal.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed October 10, 2011

I got exactly what I was hoping for, at the price I paid: solid, clean, quiet room, VERY comfortable bed, polite service. If you aren't looking to stay in your room, this is a perfect place. (I was in town for hockey, and so I was out most of the time. When I came back, there was enough room for my equipment to dry out overnight.) It's near the central subway crossroads and the arts area, and the gay village and latin quarter.

The (minor faults): Walls are a bit thin. The overnight parking is $16, not bad for Montreal; but the underground lot, next door, is down a rather sketchy street (Christin). The UQAM area is quite central, though parts of nearby Ste Catherine are a bit rough.

Room Tip: I asked for a room facing the back, away from the traffic on St Denis.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 9, 2011

We stayed for 2 nights. The room was comfortable and clean. Bathroom very small. It is an older hotel that has been renovated a few years ago. The location (very close to the Metro and at a hub station) is excellent. You can get a train to the botanical gardens, Olympic stadium, Champ de Mars for the old part of town or just to go downtown. There is a good restaurant just next door that has good food,fair prices and a character for waiter - very entertaining and interesting! The free wi fi took a while to come on line but worked well afterwards. The desk staff were a bit detached but that is big cities. I would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed October 6, 2011

We picked this hotel for location and cost as it was significantly cheaper than other hotels in similar area for our dates but we were not disappointed ($100 per night). Rooms were large and clean with 3 double beds (amazing bargain if you had 6 willing to share). Location of this hotel is excellent and while there is a lot of sex related locations nearby I never felt unsafe and it is walkable to nearly all things we wanted to see and we found good bars and food nearby. I would stay here again if looking for similar budget as met all my criteria

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Hi,

I travelled to Montreal during Sept '2011 for some business work. I evaluated various hotels through booking.com and finally made the booking at Hotel St-Denis on St-Denis street.

My check in was not very smooth as they were not able to locate my booking done thru booking.com therefore they gave me a lower category room for the first night. Next day though they were able to find my booking and gave me the room that I have chosen in my booking.

My room was spacious and had all the required amenities. Only concern was the view from the room was not very attractive. Otherwise they had good cleaning, bathroom accessories, free wifi etc. making my stay enjoyable.

Most importantly, they are very close to the Central Railway station and just opposite the University. The location is fantastic with almost everything available at walking distance including Restaurants, pharmacy, departmental store, entertainment places, night life etc.

Hotel staff was well informed and was able to communicate in both English and French. They were also very helpful in suggesting routes I had to take for my meetings. Nearest subway was also just couple of blocks away.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for all business travellers due to its location, convenience and vicinity. Very happening place indeed!

Room Tip: Choose rooms at front of the hotel for a better view!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Selected this hotel based on pricing, being relatively close to "old Montreal", and reviews.
Area is not the best, a little seedy, but we felt safe while walking around. Not many places to eat, except for a great Italian restaurant next to the hotel. Room was unremarkable, clean, dark (not enough lights), bed comfortable, but telephone was not in working order, and this was not clarified until the second day. We were offered to switch rooms, but it was not worthy. If I was to return to Montreal I would try to find something closer to the commercial center of the city.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Excellent location to see Old Montreal, the Latin Quarter, and The Village on foot. Metro is close by. The staff are courteous. The price and the quality of the room were excellent given the location; in fact, the price would be equitable even out in some suburb. Parking is nearby and access is easy. Lots of restaurants and funky shopping a short walk away... in fact, the two nearest restaurants are immediately adjacent. We found the street to be lively and, yes, noisy, even from the fourth floor. We didn't expect downtown Montreal to be quiet, but it was a little surprising how much the noise carried; to be fair, we had the windows open all the time.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple