$181
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of $213/night.

$218
$282
$129
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $143/night.

$210
$202
$193
$144
  • Pool
All reviewsbeautiful hotelbank buildingsuperior junior suiteold montrealroom serviceturn down serviceeach eveninghotel experiencebeautiful roomlarge bathroomthe ritzhigh ceilingsvisiting montrealxospaconciergedoorman
Reviewed January 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights over New Year's eve weekend and it was wonderful. We made a reservation for the New Year's even dinner at XO restaurant and the food was amazing (although I have to say that the chair was not as comfortable as I would have liked).

We stayed in a Jr. Suite and the room was beautifully decorated with a small but luxurious bathroom with nice tub and seperate shower. The best part for us was that they allowed us to bring our dog and even set up the cutest dog bed and bowls for him in the room. Its hard to find hotels as nice as this one that welcome pets. We also had treatments in the spa and although the massage was just OK, the rooms were worth it, very unique and we got our own private room with sauna, shower, and steam room to get ready in. The location was about a 7-10 minute walk to the main shopping/eating area and there are a few nice bistro style restaurants closer (highly recomment Holder Restaurant). The concierge, reception and valet were all super attentive and very welcoming at all times. The only minor complaint I had was that the room was really hot and even though we had control over the temperature, the room would just not cool off. We ended up opening windows and it was fine after that.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2011

My wife and I drove to Montreal from Southern New York the day after Christmas with three adult children ages 20, 24 and 26 for a two night stay. In deciding on a hotel, I spent weeks trying to figure out whether it would be worth the cost of the rooms at the St. James since there were so many hotel bargains being offered. The bottom line, it was worth it. Everyone just loved being at the hotel. In fact, it was difficult to get the girls out of the rooms. When you figure in the money spent on other things like dinners, drinks and entertainment, the cost of the room where you spend most of your time was a reasonable expense. We walked to the Point Vieux Port ice skate each day, then a leisurely lunch. The girls loved the beautiful, spacious, well-appointed bathrooms with radiant heated floors, wonderful beds, beautiful linens, luxurious amenities, flat screen TVs and comfortable bedroom furnishings. We ate out each night at great restaurants within easy walking distance. The first night the "children" wanted Mexican. I am thinking I did not come all this way for Mexican food, but in the interest of family harmony quickly agreed. We walked three blocks to an outstanding meal at Casa de Mateo. The next night, Le Bonaparte served us another extraordinary meal. The Hotel restaurant is in the former grand bank's main room. The children would have like breakfast choices at 11:30 a.m., but were limited to dinner type entrees and $22 hamburgers. My lunch of PEI oysters, sliced steak and apple/pear tart with walnut ice cream was delicious. Had I told the concierge what we wanted, however, I am certain he would have directed us outside, but I wished to experience all of the Hotel and so I chose to eat in. The value wasn't there. By contrast my son and I had a beer the first night in the library off the main entrance and sat by the fire reading the days papers. Even at $10 a beer it was worth it as we sat there eating the chilled free clementines. Each evening we would return to our rooms after dinner to find clean linen mats by our bed, new complimentary slippers, chocolates and bottles of water on each side of the bed. The doormen, concierge and the receptionist staff were all very friendly and welcoming. The bottom line is my wife and children think of our hotel stay as the best Christmas present I could have given them and that is exactly what I was hoping for. Travel is all about the experience and this was a great one for our family. I will do it again, particularly since the drive is so easy. For reference, we like places like Tuckers Point Club, The Greenbrier and Sea Island.

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank Magpie1969
Reviewed December 12, 2010

This was an outstanding experience! Montreal is a great city to explore for a few days! St. James is THE hotel in this city to stay. Big rooms, excellent service and great food! Thanks St. James for a great stay...

Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2010

Although very pricey, this hotel is worth every bit of it! From check in to check out, we were pampered & well taken care of. Restuarant was excellent, rooms were very nice, amenities were outstanding & the staff was top notch! Great breakfast place down the street that others have recommended, Eggspecation, is good but very crowded. Go early. This hotel is w/in walking distance to all things in Old Montreal. After staying here, how could we stay elsewhere in Old Montreal!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 9, 2010

Husband and I celebrated our anniversary at the St. James. Loved the hotel. Our room was beautifully appointed, bed very comfortable. Hotel itself is beautiful. The hotel is in Old Montreal, which is a lovely location and great for exploring. All other tourist locations are either walking distance or a cab ride away.

Did not eat at XO but had a drink in the lounge. We enjoyed a couples massage in the spa and we both agreed it was one of the best massages we ever had. Loved that the dressing room had a private steam and sauna for us. Gym is small but has the necessary equipment.

We found the concierge to be very helpful. Staff in general was very friendly and were eager to assist in any way they could. Our concierge recommended a wonderful breakfast place walking distance from the hotel. Fresh, local foods were featured (packed on a Sunday). Best breakfast! Le Cartet on Rue McGill. Highly recommended.

For dinner we went to Sata Sushi, located in HoMa and out of the way. However, it was worth it. Nestled into a Nothing-to-Look-at area, the sushi was amazing and service was really good. Small restaurant. Seriously, worth going. SataSushi.com.

Only negative would be that the bar closed at 11 p.m. on a Saturday night.

We are big fans of Montreal and are eager to get to know the city better. We will certainly be back to stay at Le St. James. Next time for a longer stay.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple